Clergy Abuse of Minors in Christian Fundamentalism discussion

Has reading books helped you in dealing with your personal history in Christian Fundamentalism?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeri (last edited Apr 27, 2014 02:37PM) (new)

Jeri Massi | 14 comments Mod
Has reading books helped you in dealing with your personal history in Christian Fundamentalism?
If so, which books?
For me, the lights winked on when I read The Sociopath Next Door, by Martha StoutThe Sociopath Next Door: The Ruthless Versus the Rest of Us

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Edwards | 1 comments To be honest, at one time I was considering writing a book about my experiences. I was doing research online when I found the "Secret Radio" series and some message boards. I discovered that the misinformation that plagued and confused me in the past was nothing compared to the abuse so many have experienced. I later read "Schizophrenic Christianity". The books I have read have changed my goal from writing a book to being an advocate for those who have experienced or are experiencing clergy and/or church abuse.

message 3: by Jeri (new)

Wow! Thank you. That's certainly gratifying to hear. I will link to SECRET RADIO. I will add that it was therapeutic to write. It was an ongoing blog series when I first wrote it, back when the FFF was the main internet watering hole for Fundamentalists, and it was popular enough that it gave me my first taste of making IFB preachers furiously angry but unable to do me any real harm. I did get an awful lot of harassment from it, though. If you can post a review of it, Sonya, I would appreciate it!Secret Radio: My Senior Year at a Christian Fundamentalist College (Twenty-Five Years Ago) by Grace Jovian

message 4: by Bob (new)

Bob Hayton (rjhayton) | 3 comments For me, reading Tales from the Temple by James Spurgeon (later published as The Texas Baptist Crucible) was very helpful.

message 5: by Jeri (last edited Apr 29, 2014 05:22PM) (new)

I was already pretty much out of Fundamentalism by the time James started writing Tales from the Temple (and posting drafts on the original FFF). Totally hilarious and eye opening. Sorry to see that it is apparently out of print now. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 6: by Bob (new)

Bob Hayton (rjhayton) | 3 comments It was 2004 when I was staring fundamentalism in the face and contemplating jumping ship - his tales were still not all complete then, and really helped me out. It helped set my experience in context with wider fundamentalism and modeled a courageous and faithful way out of the movement...

message 7: by Bob (new)

Bob Hayton (rjhayton) | 3 comments Oh, and the FFF is where I found them...

message 8: by Bob (last edited May 01, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Bob Bingham | 2 comments A family member sent me a couple of books from Banner of Truth publishers (including Today's Gospel by Walter Chantry). I was already getting disillusioned with the IFB (early 80s) so was pretty open to examine it critically. It was later that I realized and learned how much I had been manipulated spiritually. Peter warned about the same kind of false teachers that were making merchandise of the church in his day (II Peter 2), and so did Paul (II Cor. 11). So yes, reading books was far more effective in my case than having someone tell me what was wrong with the IFB.

message 10: by Jeri (new)

Bob, do you have time to write a review of Chantry's book?

message 11: by Bob (new)

Bob Bingham | 2 comments Jeri wrote: "Bob, do you have time to write a review of Chantry's book?"

Jeri, I wrote a short review of the book, but I'm not sure if it appears here in our group's bookshelf area, or just on the book page itself (under reviews).

message 12: by Jeri (new)

message 13: by Jeri (new)

Can you add the books you found helpful to this list? That would be great. I am sorry for what you went through! I have worked a lot with Hephzibah House survivors (Ron Williams, who learned the ropes from Roloff). It's great to see any survivor of a Roloff home reading books and exploring the world of research.

message 14: by Jeri (new)

Look for a "Bookshelf" link, and click on that. It displays the current list of books recommended by members, and there is a search option so that you can call in the books you specify and add them to the group.

I LOVE chidren's literature. Let me recommend THE PUSHCART WAR to you, which is so nonsensical, so funny, and so much a story of the little guy winning that I have re-read it many times. Has nothing to do with Fundamentalism, but is very restorative:

The Pushcart War The Pushcart War by Jean Merrill

message 15: by Jeri (new)

PS Patricia, if you fee comfortable emailing me at jeriwho@pipeline.com, I would love to send you an epub copy of SECRET RADIO and ask you to review it, if you have time.

Secret Radio My Senior Year at a Christian Fundamentalist College by Grace Jovian by Jeri Massi Secret Radio: My Senior Year at a Christian Fundamentalist College by Grace Jovian

message 16: by Jeri (new)

K!