Smashwords Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Willing Beta Reader

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Martin (JGMartin) | 26 comments Hi,

I noticed that it is hard to get your book critiqued or reviewed without paying for it. I have started writing my own novels and I have found the hardest thing to get is constructive criticism. 5 star reviews are great, but you don't improve from them. Two stars suck and are usually devoid of any specific examples for improvement.

So I am offering to read other independent authors final drafts and provide constructive criticism. I read a lot of books, especially independent authors, in addition to my own writing.

I will read and critique your finished novel prior to publication for no cost. I will be selfish and only do it for science fiction and fantasy novels. No YA, romance, or zombies. Just my personal preferences.

I read very quickly, I can finish a 100,000 word novel in a couple of days. But if I get too many requests I will have to limit my choices. I do have a life.

If you want me to critique your novel please email the novel in .mobi format to me at wastelandrules@gmail.com. You can find a converter online. I will critique it and get back to you within a week. I will note any grammar or spelling errors I notice, but this is not a proof read. I will be focused on story and characters.

If anyone else is willing to do the same, please respond to this thread with your info and what your are willing to critique. Hopefully we can all help each other.

J.G. Martin
www.wastelandrules.com

message 2: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) | 29 comments Hello J.G.,
I have been looking for a second beta reader. I have one wonderful lady who gives me great feedback, but I believe the more feedback I receive the better I will learn what works and what doesn't in my writing. The focus on story and characters is just what I am looking for. I am not jumping straight into a beta read relationship, but I would like to talk more about it with you.
Elldee

message 3: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Thanks for the kind offer, J. I've moved this to 'Writing and Publishing'.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Hi J.!
I second your personal preferences. I'm always looking for betas, so I'll gladly swap beta-reading with other authors.
I try to read as fast as I can, in less possible sittings so I won't lose track of plot or characters, but if I'm already swamped, I'll say it before - and at the moment I'm finishing a book and already have another to review and fact-check, so I'm not taking any beta-reading right now (and I'll keep my own books for a few more days, until I can do the swap).
Get in touch if interested - PM me here on Goodreads and we'll figure out when to do the swap! :)