Backstory discussion

Debates > Is America really a free country?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
DEBATE!

message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments If one were to truly discuss the fact of freedom America is one of the msot free countries, but never fully existant is the fact of true Freedom. When America expressed the term Freedom they originally had the intention of classifying such a thing to mean Freedom from the king. America is free of British rule...this is why America is failing so much at life.

however, if you truly want to get technical with it, there is no country ever to be free except that of which is not ruled over, such as Antarctica. A frozen wasteland upon which only worldwide scientist live upon occasionally, other than that it is the only truly free country with no laws.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia *raises hand* I think it's a country!!!

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia Antarctica is [sort of] ruled over. Countries have 'stakes' of land on it....

message 5: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
I see your point Jacob but I meant in terms of rights and what we are told we have a right for/of.

message 6: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Ah, well That's the last time I ever give you people my input...jk...I could care less what others think of my input..I'll post it anyway...It make s me feel good about myself to see my words. It almost makes me feel like I belong somewhere lol. Perhaps this attitude is why few people can tolerate me...it's my IDGAF attitude.

message 7: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
I love your attitude and I didn't mean to offend you I just meant to offer another view

message 8: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Liz, darling, you gave no offense to me I jsut felt like expressing that tidbit just for the Hell of it, promise love.

According to how you actually meant not in the true concept of freedom so much as rights:
I feel America will never be truly free still.
Laws are one thing, but to tell a person they cannot marry whom they desire is not freedom.

To grant one party with exceptions to certain laws and another with full force prejudice is no where near freedom.

I personally prefer Any European country to America, becuase I actually felt free then...I mean really I ahd the right to dirnk at age 10 in Italy at every meal...you don't see that happenign in the states now do you?

Although Canada is a closer alternative.

message 9: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
yeah I don't think america is the land of the free as so much the land of the trapped

message 10: by Lostinwonderland (new)

Lostinwonderland It's not free!

message 11: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
thank you!

message 12: by DeepTiNkEr5 (new)

DeepTiNkEr5 (goodreadscomCiel_Phantomhive) | 77 comments Freedom is slavery,
War is peace,
Ignorance is strength...
- George Orwell