Historical Fiction and Classics Fans discussion

Books and authors > The Books of your Childhood

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie (goodreadscomuser_mariedesantis) | 170 comments Mod
Hi everybody!
This is the topic where we can discuss our favorite childhood books.
My favorite author was Ann M. Martin (The Baby-Sitters Club series). I also loved la Comtesse de Ségur's books. And you?

message 2: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Watson | 7 comments I was obsessed with Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. It has all the ingredients for a great read that keeps you turning page after page.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri | 5 comments I read everything written by Roald Dahl. I loved his books growing up.

message 4: by Marie (new)

Terri wrote: "I read everything written by Roald Dahl. I loved his books growing up."
Yes, me too!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 43 comments Mine were the Oz books, the Maida books, and the Little House books.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Keaton (elliekeaton) | 2 comments Mine were the Little House books, To Kill a Mockingbird, Enid Blyton (everything she wrote) and (where is the blushing icon,) for a while the Sweet Valley High series.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 43 comments Enid Blyton! I loved the Famous Five series, but they were dreadfully hard to find in America.

message 8: by emily (new)

emily (jacquetta) | 6 comments I also had sweet valley high books, most of Sabrina the teenage witch series. read the babysitters club. At the time all the horrible histories, the chronicles of Narnia.

Now twenty years later only the Narnia set is the books I still have.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 43 comments Oh yes, I also loved Narnia, except for The Last Battle, which was not a favorite.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 4 comments When I was about 12, I loved this series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4181...

Also loved Tuck Everlasting and Jacob Have I Loved

When I was very little my mom read me https://www.goodreads.com/series/4332... and I loved it so much that I named my orange cat after one of the characters.

message 11: by Marie (new)

Robin wrote: "When I was about 12, I loved this series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4181...

Also loved Tuck Everlasting and Jacob Have I Loved

When I was very little my mo..."

That's cute!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 2 comments I read Sweet Valley High, the Cheerleaders, all Beverly Cleary. Are you there God it is me Margaret. My favorite from childhood were Louisa May Alcott and Caddie Woodlawn.

message 13: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Sullins (misterkenye) | 3 comments As a child, I didn't have much direction in reading until high school. Before that, I would read pretty much anything. I did know I enjoyed the Captain Underpants series, which fulfilled the more ridiculous side of my sense of humor. I also enjoyed fairy tales and stories about animals. I know historical stories always interested me but didn't really start sticking out until I was in high school. Little House On The Prairie and the Dear America series.

I think the book of my childhood (which I am going to consider pre-high school) would have to be Hatchet. It's the one I remember reading and enjoying the most. Not sure if I'd enjoy it as much now, but I know I did back then. Second place would have to be Among the Hidden. Though now that I think about it, I read The Killer Angels originally in 8th grade and I loved it more than anything else I had read at the time and it really started my fascination with reading historical fiction. (Sorry, everything was coming back to my brain as I wrote this!)

message 14: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Loved Caddie Woodlawn and the Little House books.

message 15: by Iris (new)

Iris (mountainlillygirl) | 6 comments I loved (And still love) the Madeline series and the Nate the Great books. Those were my tops.

message 16: by Ashwise (new)

Ashwise Little House on the Parie, Ronahld Dahl, classics like Black Beauty and Little Women, Beverly Clearly, and Judy Blume.

message 17: by Koleen (last edited Jun 26, 2014 01:41PM) (new)

Koleen Hansen | 1 comments June 26, 2014
to whom may concern:
well first off I have Dyslexia and some other Learning disabilities so I learn to read later in live so I did not have one from childhood.

I love Little women and nancy drew and falling up. when I was a beginner reader eleven years ago.
best regards

message 18: by Odelia (last edited Oct 26, 2014 12:02PM) (new)

Odelia Floris (petrao) | 2 comments I loved fairy tales, myths and legends, Little Women and Alcott's other books, The Wind in the Willows, The Lord of the Rings, The Little Troll, and What Katy Did. Loved the Little House books too.

Interesting how some books just stand the test of time!