What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Western - 1800s Line Rider - Concerns Revenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken I don't know how to describe the book without including a lot of SPOILERS!

I read this book probably 8 or so years ago. Spoiler: This man had set out to start a life with his new wife. His wife is raped and murdered by three people. I don't recall how he knew who they were, but at some point ends up working on a ranch he suspects they work for. Gets a job as a line rider, where he lives in the shack by himself. He spends the time practicing his quick draw and shooting skills until he is an expert - then he seeks his revenge on the three men. I don't recall the author either, but I know he has written several books.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ken--this is one of the few groups on GR where spoilers are actually expected when describing a book. Many times, it's those spoilers that allow someone to say, "Hey, I recognize Z's book, it's XYB."

However, if you are really worried about it, you can put them in and "hide" them. To do this, type <*spoiler> your spoiler and then type <*/spoiler>. Take out the * (have to add that in directions or they won't show.) (view spoiler)

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Any idea what year approximately the book was published?

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken I'm really not sure, but it had the feel you get when reading a Max Brand book or similar. I'd say the library had it probably 10 years before I read it,so maybe upwards of 20 years ago - but that could be off depending on if they got a new copy of an older book, or that copy was rarely used, etc.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Ken wrote: "I don't know how to describe the book without including a lot of SPOILERS!

I read this book probably 8 or so years ago. Spoiler: This man had set out to start a life with his new wife. His wife..."
Thought I'd check and see if anyone had any ideas about this one yet.

message 6: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Do you have a sense of where and when the book was set? (Texas vs Montana, for instance.) Do you know if it was after the Civil War? The more details you can give, even if they seem unimportant, the more likely it will trigger someone's memory. :)

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken I'd be speculating, but it had a post-civil war feel. They were using pistols and quick draw, for instance. It seems like somewhere like Montana or Wyoming, somewhere like that. I read another book by the same author, but can't remember the name, but it was a similar story line to this - someone died, someone seeks revenge, etc.

message 8: by Kris (last edited Sep 20, 2014 08:47PM) (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
West To Comanche County by Doug Bowman?

The description on Amazon offers more details: "Following his peculiar horse opera, The Copelands, Bowman cranks out a ninth western novel, the story of an uninspired journey down the much-traveled trail of revenge. The year is 1870. Kirb Renfro, having lost his parents in a cabin fire the summer before, marries his childhood sweetheart Ellie and convinces her to pull up stakes in western Tennessee and head for a new life in Texas. Along the trail they meet Gaylord Brownrigg, also on his way to Texas. Brownrigg has inherited a large cattle ranch called the Lazy Bee in Comanche County, reportedly a lawless Gomorrah on the prairie and he offers Kirb a job as a ranch hand. Kirb and Ellie follow the Brownrigg entourage to Comanche, where they find they are able to buy a small ranch of their own while Kirb works at the Lazy Bee for extra cash. Although a rancher and family man, Kirb inexplicably decides he needs to take quick-draw lessons from his saddle pal, the chatty, lightning fast Clay Summer. All his leather-slapping practice pays off, however, when Ellie is raped and murdered by three ne'er-do-wells, and Kirb decides to track down the guilty varmints himself. Some nifty detective work by the local marshal and testimony from an odd character named the Ginseng Man sets Kirb on their trail. This narrative, like Bowman's earlier books, is filled with reams of extraneous detail (he provides the menu for every one of Kirb's meals), unrealistic characters and action scenes that belie the description. The tedium of the journey to Texas in the first half of the novel is barely relieved by the predictable confrontations in the second half. "

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Ken, was "West to Comanche Country" your book or are you still looking?

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken That very well could be it. Sounds familiar and the cover art also is. Thank you.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken just requested that book so hope to find out soon.

message 12: by Kris (new)

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Ken left the group. Moving to Abandoned.