Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Gender, Teaching and Research in Higher Education
Adding New Books > Gender, Teaching and Research in Higher Education

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Does the book have any authors, apart from editors?

message 2: by Empress (last edited Apr 27, 2014 09:48AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ashley wrote: "It was co-edited by myself (Ashley Tauchert) and Gillian Howie. It contains a number of essays by different authors, including one co-authored by us. Thanks for your interest."

The thing is that if there are authors we don't list editors.

But I see the content here: http://www.worldcat.org/title/gender-...

message 3: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) All authors added.

message 4: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "The thing is that if there are authors we don't list editors.
"

The librarian manual says:
*Please note that editors should only be added for records like anthologies and reference materials. Novels and other works of fiction should not have editors listed.

message 5: by Empress (last edited Apr 27, 2014 12:08PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ashley wrote: "That's interesting - academic collections of essays tend to be cited under the name/s of editors. So on my cv I would list the book as editor separate to the essay as author. The record now looks a..."

But you are listed under the book as an author and the book is in your profile.

Edit: Added authors for Third Wave Feminism (incl. you). Are there any other anthologies that need authors added?

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Edited academic books like this are normally treated like anthologies and for the same reason, editor here denotes a quite different function to editor for a novel. For academic books the editors are often the only names on the cover, or in citations. I don't see any reason to apply fiction rules to this book when there are thousands of textbooks in the database listed under their editors.

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

About a third of the contributors are in the description. We have a limit of 50 names.

message 8: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ashley wrote: "Sorry - me again - could someone correct the spelling of my name in the list of authors contributing to Third Wave Feminism please? The final t is missing...

Also do you want to add lists of cont..."

Will do, sorry I went to bed last night. Done. Really sorry about that.

message 10: by Empress (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:59AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ashley wrote: "Thanks I feel bad about the amount of work I'm generating but the Unseen Genders entry also has my name wrong - the I needs to be a u in Tauchert.
I promise to be quiet now... Best, Ashley."

Not your fault. I'm copying (from worldcat) without looking too much. Fixed.