If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) If I Stay discussion

Worth reading before the movie comes out?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iris (last edited Apr 27, 2014 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris For those of you who've read it what do you think? Should I read it before the movie comes out? The trailer looks pretty good and I love the actress they chose to star in it, but I'm unsure about the story. Will I regret reading it? Will it make me change my mind about checking out the movie? From what I understand it's a love story of some sort.

Let me know what you think please.

message 2: by Sierra (last edited Apr 27, 2014 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sierra I would recommend reading the book before the movie comes out. I don't think it'll spoil the movie, or change your mind, hopefully. It's a well done story that deserves to be read(:

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Yes read it or read it after it would make you love the characters more and understand the story better. I have read it and it had changed my view on how one thing can change your life in an instant. This is a great book simply read it now.

Rochelle Iris wrote: "For those of you who've read it what do you think? Should I read it before the movie comes out? The trailer looks pretty good and I love the actress they chose to star in it, but I'm unsure about t..."

the book is great..very heartfelt and real..you should definately read it before the movie comes out

Dramaticmarvel I actually did read this book because the trailer looked good. Personally if anything it made me want to see the movie more. Though I think it will be interesting to see how they do some scenes, which could be tricky cinematically.

Andrea Tomé YES.
Gayle's prose is magic and although I'm sure the movie will be pretty amazing, this is a must-read. You'll enjoy it, believe me.

Lilly yes

Iris Well it's a resounding yes across the board. It seems like you guys know what you're talking about. Alright, I will read it. And whether I like it or not I will go see the movie. I do like comparing the film versions to the original. Thanks guys, I will be back after I've read the book to see what you guys think in detail. (The same goes for the movie) =D

message 9: by Shana (new) - added it

Shana Yes, you should read the book. I have read it twice, once in 2011 and again this year. It is a wonderful book. I just hope the movie can live up to it.

Samantha YES BEST BOOK

message 11: by Iris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris I took your guys' advice. I read the book and I LOVED the book! It was wonderful. I loved the characters and the relationships. I loved her dilemma and how she thought through the decision she had to make.

But what do you guys think about her final choice? Do you think she made the right decision?

Nicole Iris wrote: "I took your guys' advice. I read the book and I LOVED the book! It was wonderful. I loved the characters and the relationships. I loved her dilemma and how she thought through the decision she had ..."

I guess she did. But you should read Where She Went so you know what happens to Adam and Mia. :)

Natalia Yes, it's worth reading before the movie, because whenever a book is adapted to film,, as is happening a lot lately, sometimes the writers and director luxuries to make changes to the story are given and passed me I've seen a film is based on a book, then read the book and I get disappointed because things just didn't happen.
I think this book is very good, independent as a love story. Mia likes to see in her memories, her life story to decide whether to go with your loved ones who have gone or waking up in the sad reality where the wait Adam, her boyfriend and the possible victory in Julliard.

I would say more, but don't want to fall into the spoilers :)

Robin i am glad you enjoyed it! i read the books before i even knew there was going to be a movie. usually i like to do it that way because often things are slightly different or certain details are left out or not explained as well in the movies. my husband had tons of questions of why this or that happened with several of the movies we saw where i didnt because i read the book (and he of course didnt) so i was able to follow it more easily than he was.

Natalia Robin wrote: "i am glad you enjoyed it! i read the books before i even knew there was going to be a movie. usually i like to do it that way because often things are slightly different or certain details are left..."

I enjoyed reading both books, especially since the second gave me the opportunity to learn more about Adam, it's not what I see in vision and perspective of Mia, makes little difference to the respect and congratulate Gayle for her narrative and her story. Why judge a book just because both have some romance? Sometimes we forget that love is a part of our humanity.

message 16: by Iris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris Is the second as good as the first? I'm going to read it anyway, but it changes perspective and that can distort certain things and put others into a better view point.

Natalia Iris wrote: "Is the second as good as the first? I'm going to read it anyway, but it changes perspective and that can distort certain things and put others into a better view point."

Don't think, Gayle did things well, there was not much difference, except this time we know a bit more Adam.

message 18: by Shana (new) - added it

Shana I haven't read the second book yet. But, I'm going to try to read it this month.

message 19: by Erica (last edited Jun 01, 2014 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica DEFINITELY!

Natalia I'm totally agree with both! :)

message 21: by Paola (last edited Jun 01, 2014 08:10PM) (new) - added it

Paola You should read the book first because there is always an issue when people don't read and watch a movie based on a book, they get confuse and claim it to be a bad movie and don't even bother reading the book. Which is why I recommend you to read just so you have a better understanding of it. And yes it is a love story for sure. It's really nice, you'll like it.

message 22: by Marci (last edited Jun 01, 2014 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marci I probably wouldn't go to see the movie if I hadn't read the book. There is something magical about the book itself that pulled me in and made the movie irresistable. If you have any desire to read this book, do it

Natalia Wallflower wrote: "You should read the book first because there is always an issue when people don't read and watch a movie based on a book, they get confuse and claim it to be a bad movie and don't even bother readi..."

I'm glad I read the book before seeing the movie. I was moved in some other parts and I cried. I grieved with the reality of Mia and even asked me if all my loved ones die, I would also go with them to not suffer the awakening?, But I also think they would want to go ahead. And yes, it's a love story, but also focused me on the side of life and death, because death is also a character who is very much on everyone.
As such, it's a very good story that I'm glad everyone likes it.

Natalia Marci wrote: "I probably wouldn't go to see the movie if I hadn't read the book. There is something magical about the book itself that pulled me in and made the movie irresistable. If you have any desire to rea..."

I think you should watch the movie, because it gives you the opportunity to see the characters in the flesh, even if they are not like imagine, but worth a try, don't you think? :)

Joanna Read the book. Read the book. Read the book.

In my experience, the books are ALWAYS better than the movie. You get more details from a book; more background, more character detail. I am pretty sure I read this book in less than 3 days. I sat on the edge of my seat with each turn of the page.

I'm only hoping that the movie can be half as good as the book.

Natalia Joanna wrote: "Read the book. Read the book. Read the book.

In my experience, the books are ALWAYS better than the movie. You get more details from a book; more background, more character detail. I am pretty su..."

I saw the trailer and I think Chloe Moretz will do very well, she's a good actress, but also depends on the direction of the director.

Karen Guys where can I download it's ebook?

Karen By the way what is the story all about?

Natalia Karen wrote: "By the way what is the story all about?"

We're talking about the book, If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Rebekah YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannah i read it after seeing the trailor and thought it was definitely worth it.

Rebekah great book.------------------------IF I STAY

message 33: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Orchard Definitely worth reading!

Shaelynn One of my favorite books! It's an easy and awesome read!

Sinta You should read it, it's good and worth reading!

message 36: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Orchard If you guys like If I Stay, you'll probably like my novel that's being released in November. I'm really excited about it! Here's the blurb.

Seventeen-year-old Lark Singer only has two things going for her, her music and her best friend Bean. While entering a competition she hopes will launch their music career, Lark searches for answers that will make her whole. Her quest reveals some secrets that those around her would rather keep hidden. As the competition looms closer, Lark discovers not only who she really is, but also who her real friends are. Then tragedy threatens everything she has worked so hard to accomplish. Can she pick up the pieces and move on?

Lenda Thompson YES YES YES and YES

Raven The book is always better than the movie adaptations so it's definitely best to read the book first before watching the movie to get the gist of the story. I definitely enjoyed If I Stay and I think it's a must-read. The quote from the book that I really liked was, "death is easy, life is hard" (I think it's something like that).

Shannon FOR SURE! Great book.

message 40: by Krishna (last edited Jun 24, 2014 06:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krishna Chaitanya We can't expect how the movie's gonna turn out but I'm boldly telling you, "If I stay" is a small and very imaginative read. Stop thinking and read it already.

Allison Smith from seeing the trailer, I already imagined the book and movie to be moving and that's what I got out of the book, so read it before the movie if the movie isn't as moving or emotional as the book.

Lauryn I saw the trailer for the movie, fell in love with it, then decided to read the book. Turns out that for me, that was a bad idea. I expected things to be so much different to how they turned out to be. However, I really enjoyed the book.

Stenedria Iris wrote: "For those of you who've read it what do you think? Should I read it before the movie comes out? The trailer looks pretty good and I love the actress they chose to star in it, but I'm unsure about t..."

Yes! You should totally read it. When I first tried reading it, it was a little confusing, but soon I was engulfed in the story. There are flashbacks that made me laugh and others that made me cry. I read the book twice since I purchased the book, and I'll most likely read it again before I see the movie.