Young Adult Contemporary Romance discussion

Making Faces
This topic is about Making Faces
❤ ARCHIVES > #17 Making Faces by Amy Harmon

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erika | 9482 comments This thread is to discuss Making faces.

Erika | 9482 comments I hope everyone gets to read this book. It's just amazing. The characters are fantastic. I loved every minute of it. Can't wait to discuss it. I cried and laughed so much it unreal.

Grace Lau | 4 comments I loved this book so much! Amy Harmon is an amazing writer and her stories are so different from the new/young adult that I typically read.

All-Things-Books [Whairigail] (all-things-books) | 10 comments I read this recently - I liked it but I didnt love it Sorry folks! I think the hype surrounding it built it up too much for me x

Erika | 9482 comments All-Things-Books [Whairigail] wrote: "I read this recently - I liked it but I didnt love it Sorry folks! I think the hype surrounding it built it up too much for me x"

Really? What made you not love it?

Erika | 9482 comments Grace wrote: "I loved this book so much! Amy Harmon is an amazing writer and her stories are so different from the new/young adult that I typically read."

I agree! This is the only book of hers I've read, I'll have to see if she has more.

Grace Lau | 4 comments I have read Running Barefoot and also A Different Blue both by her and they were excellent!!!

Erika | 9482 comments Good, I'll have to put them on my TBR list :)

Chris | 7142 comments Mod
Erika, so glad you enjoyed this one like I did. It's tops my favorite list. I loved it. It's not a regular romance story even though there is romance in it. It's about life, loss, healing and beauty on the inside. I ugly cried a lot in this story. The development of the characters and the flashback scenes were amazing. I felt like I was a part of Fern and Baily's life or at least I wanted to know them and was so happy Amy Harmon gave me an opportunity to in this story.

message 10: by Erika (last edited Apr 29, 2014 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika | 9482 comments I agree Chris. I ugly cried too, but I also laughed hard. I loved Fern and Bailey's friendship. (view spoiler)

Erika | 9482 comments What did you think about Ambrose after the war vs. before? (Anyone is welcomed to answer this question)

All-Things-Books [Whairigail] (all-things-books) | 10 comments I just felt disconnected from both the main characters - they, to me, just didn't seem genuine. I also got bored of the back & forth in their minds. Perhaps all the hype left me with expectations which were too high x

message 13: by Chris (last edited Apr 29, 2014 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika wrote: "I agree Chris. I ugly cried too, but I also laughed hard. I loved Fern and Bailey's friendship. [spoilers removed]"
Yes, I cried and laughed too. Really felt the full gambit of emotions throughout! I'm right with you on your spoiler comment!

I felt like Ambrose before and after the war still had the same quiet strength, humility and decency in character. He was just so broken and filled with guilt afterwards. Yet, I felt he was still the same good person in his beauty and after.

Whairgail, I didn't really know about the hype of the book before reading it so I wasnt caught up in it and the book took me by surprise. I recently read Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan which has great reviews and I felt like you did about this book. I was disappointed and expected so much more.

The author posted an ESPN interview with Ambrose on her blog if you haven't seen it here is the link.

http://www.authoramyharmon.com/fun-ex...

Erika | 9482 comments Thanks for the link Chris, I'm going to check it out.

I'm really loved the way Fern reached out to Ambrose by playing the either or game. I just thought she was a great person.

Erika wrote: "Thanks for the link Chris, I'm going to check it out.

I'm really loved the way Fern reached out to Ambrose by playing the either or game. I just thought she was a great person."

I couldn't agree more Fern was a special person and I loved how she did the either or game. (view spoiler)

Vega_girl | 6624 comments Ok where to start.......this book was amazing I finished it last might and still can't get it out of my head! The drive after prom scene complete stole my heart. I also think the Bailey's mom' s description about death was perfect for their age and I am totally stealing it when the time comes to explain to my kids.

Vega_girl | 6624 comments I have a question and would love to get your feed back; did Bean know that Ambrose was starting to crush on Fern? If he did know then I can forgive all his idiotic remarks. Maybe he was trying to get Ambrose to confess??? If he did not know then he was a complete "TOOLE"( haha ...get it) and then I just can't like his character at all.

Erika | 9482 comments I think he knew. But I still feel like he was teasing him about it. Bean wasn't one of my favorite characters. Ambrose didn't even want to admit to himself he was crushing on Fern.

Vega_girl | 6624 comments True...... And I hate that Bailey and Rita loved each other but it just wasn't in the cards :(

Erika | 9482 comments Yea, I had a hard time liking her for that reason alone. She was really shallow. Not that I'm glad what ended up happening to her but I feel like that's what happens when your with someone for the wrong reasons. She only saw Beckers looks and not the inner person.

Cinthia (cinthiah) I thought the book was really good. I actually didn't know anything about it before starting, so I was pleasantly surprised. I loved Fern and Bailey's relationship and grew to like Ambrose in time, too. I'm not convinced that Bean knew Ambrose was crushing on Fern. I think the idea was so absurd to him, and that's why he liked joking about it.

message 22: by Chris (last edited May 01, 2014 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika wrote: "Yea, I had a hard time liking her for that reason alone. She was really shallow. Not that I'm glad what ended up happening to her but I feel like that's what happens when your with someone for the ..."

I agree and she paid for the choice.

Cinthia wrote: "I think the idea was so absurd to him, and that's why he liked joking about it. ..."

I had the same impression about Beans. I don't think he knew at all. I think Ambrose was completely torn with how much the notes meant to him and then finding out they were actually from Fern. I think he felt played and hurt by Fern, when of course that was never her intention. I think Ambrose was very confused with his feelings for and yet anger with Fern and it was hard to hear Beans joke about her. I think Beans just liked to needle him because he knew it was a sore subject and didn't really think that Ambrose could possibly like her. :(

message 23: by Vega_girl (last edited May 01, 2014 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vega_girl | 6624 comments But remember at the flashback scene when Bailey is asking the guys to dance with Fern and Ambrose walks away....Beans clearly says Ambrose acts like that because he likes her.

Vega_girl wrote: "But remember at the flashback scene when Bailey is asking the guys to dance with Fern and Ambrose walks away....Beans clearly says Ambrose acts like that because he likes her."
Oh wow, you are totally right! I read this book last year and I forgot about that. :)

Erika | 9482 comments Chris wrote: "Erika wrote: "I agree Chris. I ugly cried too, but I also laughed hard. I loved Fern and Bailey's friendship. [spoilers removed]"
Yes, I cried and laughed too. Really felt the full gambit of emoti..."

I just checked out the interview, LOVED it. Thanks for sharing Chris.

Kathryn | 1 comments This was an amazing read. It's one of those books you can't stop thinking about after you've finished. I loved how Bailey, even though was stuck in a chair with a crippling disease, was always positive and happy and helped Ambrose deal with his grief and pain.

Erika | 9482 comments I agree Kathryn. I recommended it to so many of my friends.