Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Chit Chat & All That > Kindle owners - views on screen protector?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments Hello,

I've just bought a Kindle paperwhite and was wondering if other users bought screen protectors for theirs? I didn't bother with my old Kindle as it wasn't a touch screen, but now I'm wondering if I should? Problem is I've heard mixed messages - some people on forums say they damage the paperwhite screen, others say they love them.

Any thoughts?

message 2: by MK (last edited Apr 27, 2014 07:06AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I haven't tried a paperwhite, so I couldn't say specifically about those, but I've had 2 Fires, 1 Fire HD, my husband has a Fire HD 8.9, and now I most recently added a Fire HDX, we used screen protectors for all of them.

I have a Kindle e-reader (the cheapest one, the $69 one), I don't have a screen protector on that one.

Issues with screen protectors that I've come across are bubbles - it can sometimes be hard to put it on correctly, and you have lingering bubbles. Or 'rainbow effect'. But the rainbow effect I've seen is only visible when the device is off. Once the screen is on, you can't see it. I haven't noticed the screen protector damaging the actual devices.

Fire screens are used alot though, for web surfing, email and reading. Maybe paperwhites aren't touched as often, so it's not as much of an issue? I don't know, not having any experience (yet) with the paperwhite.

The screen protectors themselves all eventually showed signs of wear. Maybe that wouldn't show up on the actual screen, b/c of a harder surface, but I'd hate to take the chance. Screen protectors are so much less expensive than the devices themselves :p.

How do you like the paperwhite!?!!! Is the resolution all the advertising cracks it up to be? Is it really the best e-reader device, period? :)

message 3: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments Thanks for your thoughts MK, I don't really like the idea of screen protectors as I worry about not being able to get them off again! But Kindles aren't cheap and I want it to last me a while. :-)

I haven't had much chance to look at it yet, and I haven't got a case yet so I'm a bit nervous handling it (so silly but I can't help it!). From what I've seen so far it's great though - will report back when I know more :-)

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments As long as you have a decent case, you don't need a screen protector. I don't have a single scratch on my screen after a year and a half of having it, and I'm not particularly careful about the Kindle other than making sure the case is closed if I'm going to be leaving it sitting for a while or putting it in my bag.

I think whatever plastic they make the Paperwhite screens of is a bit more durable than the LCD screens on phones so it doesn't scratch easily.

I DO recommend a cover, though. The official amazon cover is really nice and unobtrusive while reading.

message 5: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments Thanks Melanti,

Yes I'm definitely getting a cover, I'm having kittens at the thought of dropping it so at the mo it doesn't leave the house!

I might play it by ear with the screen protector - see how I get on for a bit then decide later. Thank you for your input, both of you! :)

message 6: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kansaskyle) I've gone through Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Kindle Papwerwhite (first gen) and now the Kindle Paperwhite (second gen), and I've never seen a need for a screen protector.

The Kindle eReaders have a different kind of glass and feel than the Kindle Fires, which are tablets. I also find the eReaders don't seem to attract/show finger smudges like the Fire.

message 7: by Liz_ (new)

Liz_ I've had a paperwhite since January and I don't have a screen protector. Although I do have a case to protect the whole thing when I throw it in my handbag. :-)
I've had touch-screen smart phones for the past 5 years without protectors but, again, I always have a case. I think if you have one you don't need the other.

message 8: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments Thanks Kyle and Liz, my other Kindle is the keyboard version and I just had a case for that, so will probably do the same for the paperwhite.

So far I have to admit I love the paperwhite! I keep playing around with the light level at the moment, to see what works best in various lights, but I'm sure I'll work it out. I have a subscription to a history magazine on Kindle and I have to admit it's a lot more pleasant to read it on the paperwhite than on the Kindle Keyboard.