The Sword and Laser discussion

The Intruders
This topic is about The Intruders
TV, Movies and Games > Upcoming TV Shows Based On Books

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nokomis.FL (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:56AM) (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments While watching Orphan Black I see where BBC America has a new series called The Intruders premiering this Summer. I looked it up and discovered that it is based on a book by Michael Marshall. This made me wonder what other forthcoming TV series based on books might be interesting to checkout.

EDIT: Do you have a favorite book that is being turned into a television series. If so, let us know what it is.

message 2: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments Other than Game of Thrones, which I absolutely love, I've heard about two new ones starting this summer. The one I'm most looking forward to is based on The Strain. One of the best vampire novels I've read in a long time and could be a fantastic series. The second one is based on Outlander. My girlfriend really wants to watch that one, so I'm reading the book now and enjoying it a lot. It has the potential to be a great series as well.

message 3: by John (new)

John  (baloode) | 19 comments Wayward Pines - based on the books by Blake Crouch - is coming this summer. Should be interesting.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments I've been wanting to check out Logmire (western mystery) on A&E, but they're pretty lame about putting it online and it's on hiatus now.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Nash | 200 comments Hemlock Grove has a second season coming out on Netflix soon. I never see anyone talking about the book, though.

message 6: by Walter (last edited Apr 27, 2014 06:27PM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Not genre, but season two of Orange Is the New Black premieres June 6 on Netflix.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments BBC America is also going to have The Musketeers starting at the end of June.

I think SyFy is doing Guillermo del Toro's The Strain soon.

The Walking Dead is based on a comic book/graphic novel.

Under the Dome is from a Stephen King novel.

MTV is planning a show based on Shannara.

True Blood which is (thankfully) ending this summer was based on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels.

message 8: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Tamahome wrote: "I've been wanting to check out Logmire (western mystery) on A&E, but they're pretty lame about putting it online and it's on hiatus now."

I've enjoyed them, but have to admit that much of season 2 is still on the DVR.

message 9: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Michele wrote: "True Blood which is (thankfully) ending this summer was based on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels. "

Was hopeful when I read several years back that CBS was developing her Grave Sight books for TV, but wasn't surprised to see that they dropped it.

Liked those books more that The Southern Vampire books as it was darker and not as silly. Wish Mrs. Harris had continued with it, as well

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments Game of Thrones is the only decent one running at the moment. The big budget and HBO directorship really, really helps.

I'd be afraid if any of my favorite books were made into TV shows. They simply would not work. They tend to be textual, and not visual. Or, so visual that only a Ridley Scott/HBO budget could pull it off.

message 11: by Joaquin (new)

Joaquin Garza | 37 comments Kenneth wrote: "Game of Thrones is the only decent one running at the moment. The big budget and HBO directorship really, really helps.

I'd be afraid if any of my favorite books were made into TV shows. They simp..."

Ken, I know you are not a fan of Sword of Truth (I thought it the most inept fantasy ever written too), but aside from the merits of the source material, your point serves very well to illustrate the baseline quality level of an HBO production vs. an ABC production.

message 12: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments There's a series coming out based on Tom Perrotta's The Leftovers, but I wouldn't say it's a favourite book of mine. (I've only read one of Perrotta's novels, and didn't really care for it.)

CW's currently airing The 100 based on the book.

There's an upcoming series based on The Last Ship, about a US Navy vessel's search for a cure to the plague that's killed 80% of humanity. (Sounds like a terrestrial version of Space Battleship Yamato.)

There's a European SF series based on Métal Hurlant, the SF anthology magazine better known in North America as Heavy Metal.

message 13: by Alex (last edited Apr 28, 2014 11:24PM) (new)

Alex (eveningelevenses) | 27 comments Has anyone seen Penny Dreadful?

Obviously it isn't quite based on a book, it more seems to be drawing odd chunks from the victorian age penny dreadfuls (e.g., Frankenstein, Varney the Vampire, Dracula, The Picture of Dorian Gray)

Special effects and set design are amazing, on par with GoT, (although, without quite the grand designs such as castles, fields of soldiers, etc.)

It has a ridiculous cast list. My guess is they were trying to film a James Bond film, got sidetracked and made a horror TV show.
Timothy Dalton, Eva Green, Josh Hartnett, Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Helen McCrory (Narcissa Malfoy)

Actually I might go so far as to speculate it as a loss-leader prestige piece to boost showtime the way GoT has done for HBO.

message 14: by Ben (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) It's not SFF but Justified is really great and is based on (spun off from, really at this point) a short story and a couple of novels by Elmore Leonard.

message 15: by Alison (Lady Coffin) (last edited Apr 29, 2014 03:37AM) (new)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 9 comments Nokomis.FL wrote:"...Was hopeful when I read several years back that CBS was developing her Grave Sight books for TV, but wasn't surprised to see that they dropped it.

Liked those books more that The Southern Vampire books as it was darker and not as silly. Wish Mrs. Harris had continued with it, as well "

As I don't get HBO so haven't seen True Blood, I expect to be disappointed as to how far from the books it strayed. But would have loved to have seen the Harper Connelly, Grave Sight books turned into a series.

Do love The Walking Dead, and some day soon I will catch both True Blood and The Game of Thrones.

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 9 comments Joe Informatico wrote: "....There's a European SF series based on Métal Hurlant, the SF anthology magazine better known in North America as Heavy Metal. " I tried to watch that the other day on Syfy. It was only 30 min or so and each one seems to be its own story. Not sure how easy it will be to get into.

the only other I know of was the Paranormal Romance Bitten by Kelley Armstrong that was on SyFy here in the US earlier this spring.

message 17: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments The only upcoming Book-To-TV adaptation that I am the least bit interested in is The Expanse, coming to SyFy. I love the series, and am highly anticipating book #4 to come out later this year. But I am still a bit weary on the network formerly known as Sci-Fi. Their history speaks for itself but I am not one to based future performance on past performance. So I'm somewhat hopeful on how it will turn out.

message 18: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments Didn't know where else to put this,

description

message 19: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb There has been talk of Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns becoming a TV series. Click on this link for more info!
http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk...

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Read Letter 44 first issue for free: http://io9.com/read-the-first-issue-o...