J.D. Robb discussion

Seduction in Death (In Death, #13)
This topic is about Seduction in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Seduction In Death (May 2014) SPOILER ZONE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10265 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Seduction In Death. Some of us have decided to take a slow stroll back through the series. We all have other books to read, so no hurry. Please join us if you want to do a reread, are new to the series, or just want to jump in our discussions. We are having a blast!

Please note: Spoiler Alert...we will be openly discussing this book.

Synopsis:

Dante had been courting his victim in cyberspace for weeks before meeting her in person. A few sips of wine and a few hours later, she was dead. The murder weapon: a rare, usually undetectable date-rape drug with a street value of a quarter million dollars. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is playing and replaying the clues in her mind. The candlelight, the music, the rose petals strewn across the bed - a seduction meant for his benefit, not hers. He hadn't intended to kill her. But now that he has, he is left with only two choices: to either hole up in fear and guilt or start hunting again...

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13058 comments Mod
Oh, this is a good one, though a tough one.

I've got a couple to read first and then I'll be starting this one.

Michelle | 2294 comments I can't remember this one. I might be starting only next week. We're singing with Bryn Terfel this week!!

That's exciting Michelle. It'll be a week or so for me.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Michelle wrote: "I can't remember this one. I might be starting only next week. We're singing with Bryn Terfel this week!!"

OMG!!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!! I JUST LOVED HIM AS WOTAN WITH THE MET!!!!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cool. Put a reserve for the Kindle copy on my library's Overdrive site, as this one of the ones I need to get an Audible copy of.

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 63 comments Just an FYI - If you already owned the older version of "Seduction In Death" at Audible, you can ask customer service to replace it with the new one. Much better version of it.

I still haven't started the last book, so I'll probably be behind another month.

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments hey girls :) starting now:) Happy Labor Day:)

I haven't started my reread yet but I'll get there!

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I just finished another audio book and since I knew we were starting on Seduction and I own the audio I started listening today. I am already on Book 4. I still get teary eyed when Eve and Peabody goes to Grace's Family home and tells her parents. Gets me every time. Extremely tired tonight so I probably won't get far.

That one gets me, too, Dee.

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments This is one of my favorites. I am not a fan of reading about rape, but this book is so much nicer than the ones like Creation where the victims are kidnapped and tortured for days before they are bled out.
I mean if I were going to be killed this would not be a bad way to go.

I am at the point where Lucias's grandfather is getting killed. I wonder why the grandson was the way he is? I mean grandfather dislikes women, his daughter included, I mean where did Lucias learn that?

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Grandfather is calling Lucias and Kevin monsters and then calls them an experiments gone wrong. Not the smartest thing to do when he KNOWS they have killed 2 women and almost another. Then he lets them know that he is going to the police. How can one man be so stupid. I don't believe he deserved to die, but that was like pulling the tiger's tail or more precisely the tiger's whiskers.

That was his arrogance, Dee. He helped create the little monster and didn't expect he'd turn on him. Lesson learned too late.

message 16: by Kate (last edited May 04, 2014 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (kate-db) | 76 comments This was one of the toughest that I have read so far (I am now up to Creation in Death).
The details were so vivid during the rape scenes, that it really got to me.

These guys were so disgusting. It was even harder knowing how nice the women were before being victimized.

message 18: by Dee (last edited May 05, 2014 01:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I so agree that these guys were disgusting. I think a more apt point is that they were empty. I love how Eve put it. Kevin wasn't vicious, he was just empty and weak. Lucias was the vicious one. Kevin wanted to blame everyone else for where he was. I think to a certain point so did Lucias. They cared for no one.

I still liked the book, because like Eve said about Grace. She was not afraid, or in pain before she died. I think back to Betrayal and how Sly Yost would beat them sodomize, and brutally rape them, then strangle his victims. Or in Creation where (brain fart) the Groom (can't remember his name) would grab these women and prolonged and painful torture. Then he lets them bleed out. Or Isaac McQueen and his little girls that he kept kidnapped, raped, and hurt for years.

There are some seriously sick villains in this series. Freaky bad.

Michelle | 2294 comments So I've finally started.
The nightmare in the beginning. Any one else wondering if Summerset was monitoring? That was bad and he must know about them to some extent . . . .

Michelle | 2294 comments Oh and I just loved that she grabs one of Roarke's shirt

I love when she wears Roarke's shirts. That's endearing.

Not sure Summerset is monitoring her office when she's in it...

Michelle | 2294 comments Ag never mind. I just remembered the first flashback she had and Summerset came running. That was in her office and this was her in their bedroom. Which made me wonder if he would somehow let Roarke know that Eve needed him

I'm certain he's not monitoring that bedroom:) That's why I thought you meant her office.

Michelle | 2294 comments The horror of that ;-).

I really can't remember this book so it feels like I'm reading it for the first time. I'f therefore forgotten about Peabody and McNab really cutting at each other

That's great, though, Michelle. Like a new read.

I remember Charles really coming between them here.

I don't remember this one clearly either, Michelle, and still haven't gotten to start my reread. Just too much going on but I'll get there.

Michelle | 2294 comments I'm still getting there. Just got to the part Kevin & Lucian are introduced.

These are two very despicable guys. When they were introduced and I saw how callous they were about what they'd done, it broke my heart for the victims.

Michelle | 2294 comments I really detest these two!!!

Michelle | 2294 comments Ok that said and out of the way. Nice to see why and how Eve started asking others to get her something from vending.

Loved Eve and Peabody talking about McNab and pizza. Her struggle with friendship and all that it entails just makes me sad. It just bring to the surface exactly what kind of childhood she had. Not only the immediate aftermath of what happened in that room but also the years after. She never had any good examples it seems of what family, friendship or relationship of any kind was. Her flashback of her time in the emergency room also just pulls at my heart strings.

It is telling about Eve's lack of experience with any kind of real friends, Michelle, I agree. It's amazing that's she's been able to come as far as she has with her background & lack of positive, loving role models.

Michelle | 2294 comments And yet her best friend is Mavis!!

As with all theses books in this series all the relationship that develop is just amazing. I would not have seen Louise and Charles ever becoming a couple. The fights between Peabody and McNab just goes to show how human they are. All relationship I mean go through some sort of misunderstanding, maybe not as big as this but it's there. And then there is Roarke and Eve. If my first year of marriage is anything like theirs I don't know if I'd survive it. Yet through it all they are there for each other. Eve worried about Roarke when he returns from Dublin. Roarke as usual having to wrestle her to take pills and boosters! Oh and the myriad things that happened in between those two scenes I mentioned.

Eve and the gang have gotten so firmly under my skin that I really think of them as family and just have to shake my head at Peabody and McNab, really wish Roarke had a real life brother that I can entice and wish Eve was my friend. I mean who wouldn't want to have parents like the Mira's ?! And girls night out with Mavis would be nothing but monumental and maybe a little detrimental to ones health ;-)

LOL Michelle...can you really imagine a night out with Mavis? It really is amazing how book characters can become almost as real as life...sign of a good author - makes you care!

Michelle | 2294 comments The wonder that is J D Robb. Enough said.

message 36: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments What I love about her series is how involved I get with the characters. I read other series and I can honestly say I don't get this involved with the characters. I think the closest for me is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Her only trouble is her books are so long I don't want to reread them and then it takes her 3 years to write another one. The next would be J.R. Ward, and although I have read all her books and reread them I am not as involved with them. I guess because each book is about another character.

I agree Dee. Maybe part of it is that several of the characters are on-going - progressing throughout the series. We get to know them beyond one book. And the relationship development really hooked me. Roarke & Eve is a given, of course, but the dynamics with support characters is amazing.

Michelle wrote: "Ok that said and out of the way. Nice to see why and how Eve started asking others to get her something from vending.

Loved Eve and Peabody talking about McNab and pizza. Her struggle with friend..."

I've always found it incredibly sad that Eve had no friends until she found Mavis. It's why I give her some much room for error when interacting with guise who eventually get close to her. It's no wonder she took the leap with Roarke and now holds on tight.

I LOVED that moment when Louise saw Charles and went for it! She's pretty special to be able to look beyond his profession. Don't know that I could.

Michelle | 2294 comments Same here Jonetta. On some level I know that it is a job and I now know that he isn't just doing it for the obvious reason. But to look beyond that all the time is what would get me down. I suppose I'm selfish that way ; I would want it all for me.

And just after I wrote all of the above Roarke goes and muscles Eve with Summerset !! Don't know who I felt more sorry for : Eve how is sick and had Summerset come to the rescue , Roarke for having to do what he did to look after his woman but I think Summerset on some level must have enjoyed it. With all that goes on between them this was one time he would have the upper hand as it were. But then he has the chat with her afterwards. These two really just surprise me sometimes.

Wonder how long Whitney has waited to witness one of Eve's dressing downs ;-).

Jonetta wrote: "I LOVED that moment when Louise saw Charles and went for it! She's pretty special to be able to look beyond his profession. Don't know that I could."

I hate to say it but I know I couldn't. It might be a profession but it's still being with someone else. Louise is special & I'm glad Robb wrote it this way in this world, but in my real world - no way.

Michelle | 2294 comments For some reason every time they start talking about Mexico I think of the first time they went there and Roarke completely forgot bout the cameras. Any one think that's why she has a fondness for Mexico ? She keeps remembering the good times there ?

Good point, Michelle. I remember reading that and being surprised that Roarke is the one who had a problem with the cameras! :)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I think Robb did that scene with the cameras to show that Roarke is somewhat human lol. I loved Eve's reaction to it.

Michelle | 2294 comments It was priceless

I think Mexico was also the first getaway place Roarke took her to. Maybe because it was her first?

I think so, Jonetta. It was her first.

Michelle | 2294 comments Could be Jonetta. I think I just want it to be because of Roarke becoming so lost in Eve that it was the first time really he a showed how she makes him forget Does that make sense?

Oh..that's sweet, Michelle. What a yummy thought! I know the mystery/suspense is key in this series, but I love the romantic side of it too...these characters make this series so special.

Michelle | 2294 comments And it slots in with what we were saying earlier.

Obviously I finished it. This one was tough on her but I like how somehow this book showed her relationship with Whitney growing or just shifting more to . . . I don't know what the word is. Friends is to strong a word but it definitely is shifting subtly to something more that him just being her commanding officer. There has been glimpses before but in this book it was more pronounced.

When will Eve ever really get comfortable with Trina?! Lol Roarke leaving her to them was precious but just after leaving him with them for how long. We all love Mavis but I can't imagine having to spend that McNab time with them plotting and planning.

« previous 1