The Challenge Factory discussion

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
This topic is about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
2014 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Jennifer C. & Elishia - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5344 comments Mod
Jennifer C. & Elishia - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Elishia Are we going to read book 2 instead?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'm up for it if you are.

Elishia Still using The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2) by L. Frank Baum for SS?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Yeah, I plan to.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments LOL. I just finished Chapter 7 - His Majesty The Scarecrow. I'll read a little more tonight.

(view spoiler)

Elishia I didn't realise these were about different people, I did wonder how Dorothy was going to be in it if she was already back home.

Elishia Jennifer C. wrote: "LOL. I just finished Chapter 7 - His Majesty The Scarecrow. I'll read a little more tonight.

[spoilers removed]"

LMAO I was thinking why is the girl saying this stuff because he's not saying that but then I realised that they could actually understand each other but were still letting her "translate"

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments LOL. That chapter was so confusing because they were both being so stupid! And then she was just messing with them and not translating what they were actually saying.

Elishia There are so many stupid names in this book. I did laugh at the squash joke though

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I just finished Chapter 10. I don't think I got to the squash joke yet. If I did, I totally missed it. So much funny/ridiculous stuff!!! I highlighted as I went so I would remember to tell you about it. LOL

(view spoiler)

I can't believe I had this much to say about a few chapters. I was highlighting like crazy! I'll try to get through a little more tonight, but I did start Changeless and it's really good so far. :)

Elishia Erm wow lol that was long. The highlighting things a good idea because I can never remember everything I want to say by the end, nut my Kindle is the Keyboard one that i'm scared to press anything on because it will crash, don't even no if it highlights.
Lol I didn't even pick up on the back hair but I listened again to this one. There was something I found funny but I can't remember i'm hoping you mention it.

OMG YES I was like REALLY did you really say that?

History Buff? i'm clueless when it comes to history I don't even know who that person is you mentioned ☺

Lol Nick Chopper? I didn't even here that in this one, I think I have selective hearing. I guess that was his name before he was made out of tin but I only remember the graphic story they were telling us not his name.

I think they have to belong to someone so either the Tin man or The scarecrow said the could have them or something like that.

Ha just wait for that ending ☺

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Okay... here are my comments through to the end.

I think his word choice is so strange. Like using ejaculated, when you could just as easily say exclaimed or something. Here's another reason that I'm glad I'm reading this as an adult. If I was reading a book and out of context asked my mom, "What does ejaculated mean???", she probably would have had a stroke and never let me read again. LMFAO

Who knew that tailors and cats have nine lives. Why tailors???

Oh, I did look back in the first book to see if the Tin Man's name was mentioned and it wasn't. Just in case you were still wondering.

Awww... those poor men had to reverse roles with the women. Hahaha!! Good for them! Those big babies couldn't even handle it.

I did finally make it to the squash joke too. Funny, but after the back hair incident everything else pales in comparison. LOL

And I can't leave out that weird ass ending. Who would've thought that Ozma would turn out to be the boy who was in the whole book. That was SO weird. I do wonder what people thought about that at the time. I never watched any of the movies besides the original Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland.

I'll probably start Ozma of Oz sometime this weekend.

Elishia Hahaha can you imagine? these books have got to have been on some banned list at some point.

Those men were making me laugh they were so distraught that they had to do "womens" work.

I did not see that ending coming at all, I thought maybe the witch was Ozma but that was it. I'm sure I only like these books for how funny they are but i'm sure they wouldn't of been half as funny as a child they would of just seemed weird.

I'll probably start Monday they're only 3 hours long if i listen to it, i'm just starting another BR at the moment so want to get a chunk of that done.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I thought that Jinjur was going to actually be Ozma because it seemed like the Scarecrow didn't care who was on the throne as long as it wasn't her. Then when he decided that he was going to try to find Ozma to put the rightful person on the throne, I thought it would be funny if it really was Jinjur and nothing would change.

Elishia I don't even know why she was in the book.

Elishia I've just started not sure how much i'll read tonight.

Elishia Is the chicken really talking? I've only just realised thats who Belina is.

So every time Dorothy has an accident is she going to end up in OZ?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Yep, that's a talking chicken all right. Not only is it a talking chicken, but it's a talking HEN named BILL. LOL What is wrong with Frank L. Baum and what is his transvestite obsession? I'm going to have to go find a picture of this weirdo. :)

Elishia Lol I don't understand why this series is so crazy.
I stopped reading because I saw people were saying its really dark and a bit scary and i've been having weird dreams lately so didn't feel like adding these crazy characters to my head.

Elishia You should hear the voice of Ticktock its Soooo annoying but is making me laugh.

message 24: by Elishia (last edited May 13, 2014 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elishia Lol don't know what chapter but its when they meet the princess/queen
Edit was in ch5
(view spoiler).

o.h.m.y.g.o.d thats the only way I can accurately describe how Ticktock speaks i'm going to find a clip to post here.

Elishia Ozma you should see the human one

Wheelers

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Elishia wrote: "You should hear the voice of Ticktock its Soooo annoying but is making me laugh."

I can imagine. All of his words are hyphenated.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Elishia wrote: "http://youtu.be/MJ69GH_dxIQ?t=44m31s found one."

Oh holy shit! I could never listen to that! That's awful!

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Those wheelers are so freaking creepy. Even worse than what was already in my head. This is the most disgusting thing too...

Afterward Dorothy found that these odd wheels were of the same hard substance that our finger-nails and toe-nails are composed of...

*Vomiting all over myself*

And how convenient! There are Lunch box trees and Dinner pail trees! What in the hell is a dinner pail? That sounds like something you would toss into a trough for animals.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments So does this mean that you are still reading this? Nightmares be damned?!?

message 31: by Elishia (last edited May 14, 2014 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elishia Yes just not listening to it at night lol.

Urgh i'm glad I missed that thats nasty. Haha I know lunch box trees, it reminds me of this cartoon I had when I was little called somewhere in dreamland and the plants and stuff grew food like popcorn and ice cream, I always wanted to go there.

description

Been watching Little house on the prairie over the last year so I know what a lunch pail is
description

Elishia I'm on ch 9 and I STILL don't know if the Land of Ev is in OZ i'm so confused.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'm still not that far yet, but I know what you mean. Do any of the normal Oz people show up?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I think I'm only on chapter 7 or something.

These books are really weird and kinda dark for kids books. I know I keep saying that, but they just keep getting weirder and weirder. Like the guy that made Tik Tok, Mr. Smith... He drowned in his own painting??? Okay...

I can't believe that the Wheelers are the ones that wrote "Beware the Wheelers" on the beach. LOL

Elishia Haha you haven't even met the crazy man yet.

I saw some reviews that said this one was quite dark.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I know. I feel like I'm only getting through a few pages a day. I can't seem to finish anything right now.

Elishia You've had a lot on and you've been trying to catch up on loads of books at once, maybe just concentrate on 1 at a time till you're caught up.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I know, but I can't seem to only read these Oz books by themselves. I read a couple chapters and then I need to go to another book for a break. I think because they are so strange. I don't know.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I've only read a bit more. They've just met the Princess and she is so freaking weird. So she has thirty heads in storage and changes her HEAD instead of her outfits??? How did kids who read these not have nightmares? And now she wants Dorothy's head. No thank you! Stupid Tik Tok always runs out of steam at the worst moments. How convenient.

I'll update again when I can. It'll be a little bit.

Elishia Haha I know I could never of read these as a child, i'm sure the heads have personalities as well.

Tik Tok is not helpful at all.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I just finished the "Purple, Green, and Gold" chapter. I have 5 chapters left. I do have to work a little bit today, but not much so I should be able to finish this book finally.

I thought it was really funny that Billina was the one to save all the Ev royalty from being ornaments. I thought she was going to tell Dorothy what she heard or something, but no, she just lets them all get turned and then goes in to save the day. Hahaha.

I thought it was really gross when they had to run under that hammer and the sawhorse got his head smashed. SMH So gross. Then they had to get him a new head. I wonder if Frank L. Baum had any kids? I'm guessing not.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I finished finally! So they ran into Jinjur again and now that she's not running an army, she's an abusive wife instead. LOL Okay...

Elishia Jennifer C. wrote: "I just finished the "Purple, Green, and Gold" chapter. I have 5 chapters left. I do have to work a little bit today, but not much so I should be able to finish this book finally.

I thought it ..."

LOL I thought Belina was going to do the same thing, when she ended up being the one to go in the room I thought isn't going to go well she doesn't even have hands she'll probably knock something by mistake.

IKR most authors seem to have started off childrens books by reading them to there children or something but these would give kids nightmares.

HAHAHAHA I don't remember reading about the horses head or about Jinjur.