UK Book Club discussion

UK Counties Challenge > Caroline's 'Round Britain With a Book' Tour

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 06, 2017 03:19AM) (new)

Starting this a bit late but I've also just started the USA challenge and thought I might as well have a go at this one. Looks like it might take a while so no time limit.

Start Date: 28 April 2014
End Date:

ENGLAND

1. Bedfordshire - A Rural Affair - Catherine Alliott (13/8/14)
2. Berkshire - Dear Thing - Julie Cohen (25/8/14)
3. Buckinghamshire - With Love at Christmas - Carole Matthews (10/12/14)
4. Cambridgeshire - Just Desserts - Sue Welfare (25/1/15)
5. Cheshire - After Anna - Alex Lake (24/7/16)
6. Cornwall - A Seaside Affair - Fern Britton (3/5/14)
7. Cumberland - The Night Before Christmas - Scarlett Bailey (16/12/15)
8. Derbyshire - Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop - Jenny Colgan (13/12/15)
9. Devon - Murder on the English Riviera - J.L Harward (28/4/14)
10. Dorset - Broadchurch - Erin Kelly (10/5/15)
11. Durham - Run For Home - Sheila Quigley (6/4/15)
12. Essex - The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie (10/10/14)
13. Gloucestershire - Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Jill Mansell (14/7/14)
14. Hampshire - The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins (17/8/14)
15. Herefordshire
16. Hertfordshire - Calling Mrs Christmas - Carole Matthews (5/12/15)
17. Huntingdonshire
18. Kent - The Darling Buds Of May - H.E. Bates (1/10/14)
19. Lancashire - Star Struck - Val McDermid (2/10/14)
20. Leicestershire - A Poison Tree - John Dolan (1/11/16)
21. Lincolnshire - The Dam Busters - Paul Brickhill (30/7/16)
22. Middlesex - Anno Dracula - Kim Newman (6/6/14)
23. Norfolk - Ruth's First Christmas Tree - Elly Griffiths (6/12/14)
24. Northamptonshire - A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon (24/7/14)
25. Northumberland - The Puppet Maker - Danielle Ramsay (14/4/17)
26. Nottinghamshire - Lady Chatterley's Lover - D.H Lawrence (3/6/15)
27. Oxfordshire - Insanity (Mad in Wonderland) - Cameron Jace (12/7/15)
28. Rutland
29. Shropshire - Wild Oats - Veronica Henry (28/1/15)
30. Somerset - Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen (16/5/14)
31. Staffordshire
32. Suffolk - The Sloping Experience - Ursula Bentley (14/6/14)
33. Surrey - A Room with a View - E.M Forster (14/3/15)
34. Sussex - The Flavours of Love - Dorothy Koomson (3/2/15)
35. Warwickshire - The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins - Kerry J Donovan (15/9/14)
36. Westmorland - #Forfeit - Caroline Batten (16/9/15)
37. Wiltshire - The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time - Mark Haddon (31/5/14)
38. Worcestershire - Silent Scream - Angela Marsons (6/5/17)
39. Yorkshire
a) North Riding - The Radleys - Matt Haig (25/1/15)
b) East Riding - The Greatcoat - Helen Dunmore (17/3/16)
c) West Riding - Before The Poison - Peter Robinson (29/5/14)

WALES (including Monmouthshire)

40. Anglesey
41. Brecknockshire
42. Caernarfonshire
43. Carmarthenshire
44. Cardiganshire
45. Denbighshire
46. Flintshire
47. Glamorgan - Rubbernecker - Belinda Bauer (2/7/16)
48. Merioneth
49. Monmouthshire
50. Montgomeryshire
51. Pembrokeshire
52. Radnorshire

SCOTLAND

53. Aberdeenshire - Cold Granite - Stuart MacBride (23/9/14)
54. Angus/Forfarshire - Birthdays for the Dead - Stuart MacBride (20/9/14)
55. Argyllshire
56. Ayrshire
57. Banffshire - In the Cold Dark Ground - Stuart MacBride (19/7/16)
58. Berwickshire
59. Buteshire
60. Cromartyshire
61. Caithness
62. Clackmannanshire
63. Dumfriesshire
64. Dunbartonshire/Dumbartonshire
65. East Lothian/Haddingtonshire
66. Fife - Tell Me No Secrets - Julie Corbin (30/9/14)
67. Inverness-shire
68. Kincardineshire
69. Kinross-shire
70. Kirkcudbrightshire - Five Red Herrings - Dorothy L Sayers (15/4/16)
71. Lanarkshire - The Unburied Dead - Douglas Lindsay (28/8/16)
72. Midlothian/Edinburghshire - Hide and Seek - Ian Rankin (13/10/14)
73. Morayshire
74. Nairnshire
75. Orkney
76. Peeblesshire
77. Perthshire
78. Renfrewshire
79. Ross-shire
80. Roxburghshire
81. Selkirkshire
82. Shetland
83. Stirlingshire
84. Sutherland - The Barber Surgeons Hairshirt - Douglas Lindsay (23/9/15)
85. West Lothian/Linlithgowshire
86. Wigtownshire

NORTHERN IRELAND

87. Antrim
88. Armagh - The Dead Ground - Claire McGowan (7/9/14)
89. Down
90. Fermanagh
91. Londonderry
92. Tyrone

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2016 02:59AM) (new)

Kicking off in Torquay, DEVON with Murder on the English Riviera by J.L Harward Murder on the English Riviera by J.L Harward, a book that badly wants to be Agatha Christie style but fails miserably.

More books set in DEVON (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Enjoy your journey, Caroline. There are some really good books out there.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Sue, I'm looking forward to discovering new authors :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

Hopping over the county border to CORNWALL with A Seaside Affair by Fern Britton A Seaside Affair by Fern Britton, a book I was lucky enough to win in a Goodreads giveaway.

More books set in CORNWALL (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shaw | 1 comments I think that the tv series 'Vera' is based on the books by Ann Cleeves. I assume they are set in Northumberland, as that's where the tv series is set.

There's also one of the Val McDermid's that's set in Cumbria (I think!). Possibly "Fever of the Bone", or something like that :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Samantha, have read Fever of The Bone before I started the challenge but didn't take much notice of it's setting to be honest (I am much more aware of these things now!), never tried Ann Cleeves though. Will have to give her a go :)

message 8: by James (new)

James (birchoverjames) | 510 comments As an alternative any of the Heartbeat books deal with 60's yorkshire.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 08, 2015 04:40AM) (new)

#3 - Not travelling too far, my next stop is Bath, SOMERSET and Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen Northanger Abbey. Although the abbey of the title is based in Gloucestershire, the majority of the book is set in Bath.

More books set in SOMERSET (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassandra wrote: "And don't forget Hardy country - Dorset is just down the road from Austen county!"

I think I might have read 'Children of the New Forest' as a child. Will have to see if I can find a copy for a re-read. Never read any Hardy though. Any suggestions for which one to start with?

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments I would go for Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Mayor of Casterbridge or Far from the Madding Crowd. 'Scuse me jumping in here but I love Hardy!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sue wrote: "I would go for Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Mayor of Casterbridge or Far from the Madding Crowd. 'Scuse me jumping in here but I love Hardy!"

Jump in whenever you like Sue, all suggestions welcome!

message 14: by Em (new)

message 15: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3425 comments Mod
Yep, both Far from the Madding Crowd and Tess of the d'Urbervilles are very good.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

It will be decided by which one of those I can beg, steal or borrow a copy of first then :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:29AM) (new)

Putting in a copy of the original challenge county list to help me remember which towns are in each county (as a spoiler to save space)

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
That's clever re spoiler......didn't know that was possible using the "some html is ok" link. Old dog taught a new trick....woof lol.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian wrote: "That's clever re spoiler......didn't know that was possible using the "some html is ok" link. Old dog taught a new trick....woof lol."

Lol. I saw somebody else do it over on a different thread and stole the idea :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 14, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Am changing this as I've mixed up North Yorkshire with North Riding of Yorkshire.

#4 - WEST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE - Before The Poison by Peter Robinson Before The Poison by Peter Robinson.

Not one of his DCI Banks series but still an interesting mystery. Set just outside LEEDS.

More books set in WEST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 21: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1) by Ellis Peters

The first Brother Cadfael novel is primarily set in Gwytherin Denbighshire, although it was written to promote Shrewsbury Abbey in Shropshire.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 07, 2014 10:51AM) (new)

#5 - WILTSHIRE (Swindon) - The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

Really, really good.

More books set in WILTSHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 01, 2015 01:03AM) (new)

#6 - London, which according to the list is MIDDLESEX - Anno Dracula by Kim Newman Anno Dracula by Kim Newman.

Imagine Van Helsing and co. didn't defeat Dracula, then imagine that Dracula marries and 'turns' the widowed Queen Victoria. Now throw in some Jack the Ripper, and you have Anno Dracula. Weird but a good read.

More books set in MIDDLESEX (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 07, 2014 10:48AM) (new)

#7 - SUFFOLK - The Sloping Experience by Ursula Bentley The Sloping Experience by Ursula Bentley.

According to the blurb this is "a blackly comic tour de force". It's not, it's just rubbish. Recommended only if you're really stuck for a book set in Suffolk. I'm sure there are better ones out there.

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 01, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

Haven't done a new county in ages! Been busy on my tour of USA states which seems to have involved an awful lot of serial killers!
So for a change of pace, this weekend I read Jill Mansell's Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Jill Mansell Don't Want to Miss a Thing, which is set in GLOUCESTERSHIRE, giving me county #8.

More books set in GLOUCESTERSHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2015 03:21AM) (new)

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon is set in a village near Peterborough,which I'd always thought was Cambridgeshire but according to the official list for this challenge is part of Northamptonshire. (I'm assuming our list is from before they rearranged and reclassified the county borders?)

So county #9 - NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

More books set in NORTHAMPTONSHIRE (view spoiler)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

By the way - the book wasn't very good, which was disappointing because I really enjoyed his previous book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2015 03:21AM) (new)

Double figures! #10 - Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8) by Val McDermid Cross and Burn by Val McDermid. Set in Bradfield, a fictional town in WEST YORKSHIRE.

EDIT: Not counting this as I mixed up my ridings and already have West Riding. (See comment 24)

message 29: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Caroline wrote: "A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon is set in a village near Peterborough,which I'd always thought was Cambridgeshire but according to the official list for this challenge is part of Northa..."

Right assumption to make Caroline.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian wrote: "Caroline wrote: "A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon is set in a village near Peterborough,which I'd always thought was Cambridgeshire but according to the official list for this challenge ..."

I have to admit, my geography knowledge is fairly poor so most of the time I haven't got a clue which county I've got until I check the list!

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2014 10:57AM) (new)

#10 - BEDFORDSHIRE - A Rural Affair by Catherine Alliott A Rural Affair by Catherine Alliott.

Set in a small village near Leighton Buzzard this is a fairly predictable 'chick-lit' book in the style of Jilly Cooper or Fiona Walker. Enjoyable enough for a lazy afternoon of reading.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 09, 2016 03:10AM) (new)

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is fairly evenly spread between Hampshire, Cumberland and London but HAMPSHIRE has the largest page count so that's what I'm counting it as. (County #11)

I'd had this book on my shelf for ages but never got around to reading it before (for some reason I thought it was a ghost story). It was a little bit long-winded but I really enjoyed it. I'm off to read something a bit less 'wordy' now.

More books set in HAMPSHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2014 10:58AM) (new)

#12 - BERKSHIRE - Dear Thing by Julie Cohen Dear Thing by Julie Cohen.

Really enjoyed this story about a couple who can't conceive and their friend who offers to be a surrogate for them.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2014 10:58AM) (new)

#13 - ARMAGH, Northern Ireland. My first non-English county.

The Dead Ground by Claire McGowan The Dead Ground by Claire McGowan.

First book I've read by this author, will be looking out for more of her work.

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Looks good! I tend to read books set in Eire, mainly Dublin. Don't think I've got to N Ireland yet! This would make a change from scandi-crime!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It was good, apparently it's the second in a series so you might want to start with the first, although I had no problem reading this as a standalone. I will be going back and reading the first one though.

message 37: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments I've 'wanted to read' the first one - I do like to start at the beginning! Thanks.

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 28, 2015 07:11AM) (new)

I'm so confused! I've just been told that I've mixed up my 'Ridings' of Yorkshire and the books I've got for North Yorkshire are set in North Yorkshire but that's not the same as the North Riding and they're actually part of the West Riding. That makes my head ache but I'm changing it!

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2014 01:03PM) (new)

#14 - I'm hoping it's ok to count a short story. If not I'll look for something else but for now

The DCI Jones Casebook Raymond Francis Collins by Kerry J. Donovan The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins by Kerry J. Donovan for Birmingham, WARWICKSHIRE.

8/10/14 - Just in case the short story is not allowable I've now got Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes also for Birmingham.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Birthdays for the Dead by Stuart MacBride Birthdays for the Dead by Stuart MacBride is set in the fictional Scottish town of Oldcastle. Oldcastle is described in the book as being located between Dundee and Aberdeen, roughly an hours drive away from Aberdeen. By my calculation that puts it somewhere around Brechin or Montrose, giving me county #15 ANGUS/FORFARSHIRE.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 11, 2015 04:10AM) (new)

#16. My second Stuart MacBride book this week. Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1) by Stuart MacBride Cold Granite. Set in ABERDEENSHIRE.

More books set in ABERDEENSHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 42: by A.L. (last edited Sep 23, 2014 12:15PM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 265 comments I think Wuthering Heightsis set in Yorkshire and A Morbid Taste for Bones or any of the other Cadfael books is set in Shrewsbury (Shropshire) and Wales.

message 43: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 265 comments Caroline wrote: "The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is fairly evenly spread between Hampshire, Cumberland and London but HAMPSHIRE has the largest pag..."

Ghost story? Are you thinking of the Woman in Black? It does sound like it should be.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

A.L. wrote: "Caroline wrote: "The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins is fairly evenly spread between Hampshire, Cumberland and London but HAMPSHIRE ha..."

I probably was thinking of the Woman in Black, I just had it in my head that it was a scary story so put off reading it for ages! (I'm a coward)

Thanks for the suggestions. Wuthering Heights is on my list for a re-read at some point. Never tried any Cadfael though, but I do like a good mystery so will look out at my local library for them :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited May 21, 2015 09:41AM) (new)

#18 - KENT - Darling Buds Of May by H.E. Bates The Darling Buds Of May by H.E. Bates

More books set in KENT (as a spoiler to save space)
(view spoiler)

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 14, 2015 03:27AM) (new)

#19 - Manchester, LANCASHIRE - Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6) by Val McDermid Star Struck by Val McDermid

More books set in LANCASHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 29, 2015 05:24AM) (new)

#20 - ESSEX - The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie.

The very first Poirot story.

More books set in ESSEX (view spoiler)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Recap - my tour so far, counties 1 - 20.

ENGLAND

BEDFORDSHIRE - A Rural Affair - Catherine Alliott
BERKSHIRE - Dear Thing - Julie Cohen
CORNWALL - A Seaside Affair - Fern Britton
DEVON - Murder on the English Riviera - J.L Harward
ESSEX - The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Jill Mansell
HAMPSHIRE - The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
KENT - The Darling Buds Of May - H.E Bates
LANCASHIRE - Star Struck - Val McDermid
MIDDLESEX - Anno Dracula - Kim Newman
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon
SOMERSET - Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
SUFFOLK - The Sloping Experience - Ursula Bentley
WARWICKSHIRE - The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins - Kerry J Donovan
WILTSHIRE - The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time - Mark Haddon
WEST RIDING - Before The Poison - Peter Robinson

SCOTLAND

ABERDEENSHIRE - Cold Granite - Stuart MacBride
ANGUS/FORFARSHIRE - Birthdays for the Dead - Stuart MacBride
FIFE - Tell Me No Secrets - Julie Corbin

NORTHERN IRELAND

ARMAGH - The Dead Ground - Claire McGowan

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:23AM) (new)

#21 - Edinburgh, MIDLOTHIAN/EDINBURGHSHIRE - Hide and Seek Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2) by Ian Rankin by Ian Rankin.

My first Rebus book and I have to admit to being slightly underwhelmed. Not sure I'll be bothering with any more of the series.

More books set in MIDLOTHIAN/EDINBURGHSHIRE (as a spoiler to save space) (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3