What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Boy or girl burns hand on door handle

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vic (new)

Vic | 1 comments I'm struggling to remember the title of a book I read years ago...please can someone help?
All I remember is in one chapter the boy (or girl... I can't remember) hears animal crying behind a door. When they go to open said door they burn their hand on the door handle.
There may also be rings involved in the story at some point, but I'm not too sure.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments How many years ago did you read this?
What genre?
For adults, teens, or children?
Remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Sequence has all of these elements, though perhaps not in exactly this order. On midwinter's eve of his eleventh birthday Will Stanton learns he's the last of the Old Ones, charged with gathering the Six Signs. The Signs (each in the shape of a circle quartered by a cross but made of different substances, like wood, bronze, iron) burn fiercely in the presence of the Dark. At one point Will is confronted by a servant of the Dark and burns his arm on one of them, leaving a scar in the shape of a quartered circle. Later there is scene where Will thinks he hears his dog whining in fear and pain behind a door, but when he opens the door it's revealed as a trick and the Lords of the Dark try to break through. Will raises his arms to protect himself and the Sign burned into his arm acts as a charm to repel them.

message 4: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 298 comments Sorcerers of the Nightwing by Geoffrey Huntington has a door with demons behind it and the doorknob is hot. No rings though.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Vic, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Melani (new)

Melani | 4 comments Johnny Tremain
by Esther Hoskins Forbes

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I thought Johnny Tremain burned his hand doing silversmithing.

message 8: by Melani (new)

Melani | 4 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I thought Johnny Tremain burned his hand doing silversmithing."

You're right, my sleepy brain was mixing up more than one book.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Vic, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.