Something Old, Something New discussion

Monthly Challenges > May TBR Takedown Challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Here are the list of challenges for the month of May!

1. May is the 5th Month of the year so:
A. Read a book that has the number five (5) in the title – 3 points
B. Read a book that is the fifth in a series or number 5 on your TBR – 2 points; or
C. Read a book that was the fifth book written by any chosen author, not necessarily part of a series – 4 points (for the research involved in this)

2. May is the fourth hottest month in the year and the fourth rainiest month in the year.
A. Read a book that has a word in the title that relates to the word hot (such as heat, fire, scorch, etc) – 2 points
B. Read a book that has a word in the title that relates to rain (water, wet, cloudy, etc) – 2 points
C. Read a book that is the fourth in a series or number 4 on your TBR – 3 points

3. Each year in May the Eurovision song contest is held.
A. Read a book that relates to music or singing in the storyline – 2 points
B. Read a book that has a word in the title that relates to music or singing – 2 points
C. Read a book that revolves around many nations or cultures coming together for a special event – 4 points

Happy Reading Everybody!

message 2: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (last edited May 25, 2014 12:37AM) (new)

Participants:

Becky - 15 points

Elaine - 6 points

Michelle - 0 points

message 3: by Elaine (last edited Apr 27, 2014 03:01PM) (new)

Elaine | 140 comments So I've had a quick look at my TBR and how it can fit into this challenge and I have 3 books that fit into no.1 I think. Moderators you may be able to advise if this is okay?

Gone is #5 of a series so 1 B = 2 points.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes is 5th on my TBR so 1B = 2 points

And finally, The Husband's Secret is Liane Moriarty's 5th novel. Although she has written children's fiction as well so 1B= 4 points.

So if they all qualify I will try to read these next month.

message 4: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "So I've had a quick look at my TBR and how it can fit into this challenge and I have 3 books that fit into no.1 I think. Moderators you may be able to advise if this is okay?

Gone is ..."

Wow! Go you! So organised already. I haven't even thought about it yet :-) I agree they all look good to me.

message 5: by Becky (last edited May 15, 2014 06:33AM) (new)

Becky I will give it a go.

B. Read a book that is the fifth in a series or number 5 on your TBR – 2 points; or
C. Read a book that was the fifth book written by any chosen author, not necessarily part of a series – 4 points (for the research involved in this) Until you're mine by Samantha Hayes Completed 05/03 4 points
Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes

2. May is the fourth hottest month in the year and the fourth rainiest month in the year.
A. Read a book that has a word in the title that relates to the word hot (such as heat, fire, scorch, etc) – 2 points
B. Read a book that has a word in the title that relates to rain (water, wet, cloudy, etc) – 2 points
C. Read a book that is the fourth in a series or number 4 on your TBR – 3 points
Body Double by Tess Gerritsen completed 05/15 3pts
Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) by Tess Gerritsen

3. Each year in May the Eurovision song contest is held.
A. Read a book that relates to music or singing in the storyline – 2 points
Song of the lark by Willa Cather completed 05/05
The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
2 points
B. Read a book that has a word in the title that relates to music or singing – 2 points
Frog Music by Emma Donoghue completed 05/05 2 points
Frog Music by Emma Donoghue
C. Read a book that revolves around many nations or cultures coming together for a special event – 4 points
Bel Canto Completed 05/12 4 points
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Final points TBD
15 points as of 05/15

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Michelle wrote: "Elaine wrote: "So I've had a quick look at my TBR and how it can fit into this challenge and I have 3 books that fit into no.1 I think. Moderators you may be able to advise if this is okay?

[book:..."

One thing I'm not really is organised Michelle, believe me!!! It's just that this particular challenge seemed to fit in nicely with books on my TBR that I've been meaning to read for ages. Mind you just because they're listed here doesn't mean I'll get to read them all. :)

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky I do have a question about these challenges. Do the books have to be ones on our Want to read list or can they be any book we read?

message 8: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Becky wrote: "I do have a question about these challenges. Do the books have to be ones on our Want to read list or can they be any book we read?"

Beacky, they can be any book you read/finish during the month of May, not neccessarily ones that you already have on your TBR. It's just a bit more fun if you can reduce your TBR list by selecting books that match any of the criteria :-)

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky OK i just wanted to make sure before the month started lol I'll be more than happy to reduce my TBR list!!! it's an ever growing list!

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Finished my first for this challenge and all I can say is Wow!!! Gone Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5) by Lisa Gardner .
Five stars for this one.

1.B Read a book that's 5th in a series = 2 points.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky Elaine wrote: "Finished my first for this challenge and all I can say is Wow!!! GoneGone (Quincy & Rainie, #5) by Lisa Gardner.
Five stars for this one.

My review: h..."

She's one of my favorite author's!

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Becky wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Finished my first for this challenge and all I can say is Wow!!! GoneGone (Quincy & Rainie, #5) by Lisa Gardner.
Five stars for this one.

1.B Read a book that's 5th in a series = 2 points..."

She's one of mine now too Becky. I never realised till now how good she is.

message 13: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "Finished my first for this challenge and all I can say is Wow!!! GoneGone (Quincy & Rainie, #5) by Lisa Gardner.
Five stars for this one.

My review: h..."

Good for you!

I've only finished one book this month so far due to everything that's been happening.
I must try and see if I can get some points on the board!

message 14: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Becky wrote: "I will give it a go.

B. Read a book that is the fifth in a series or number 5 on your T..."

Wow! Look at you go!

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky Michelle wrote: "Becky wrote: "I will give it a go.

B. Read a book that is the fifth in a series or numb..."

I was on a roll but I'm at a stand still. Not sure i'll finish due to tons of other library books I have to read before they're due. Looking forward to June's challenge! there are fun!

message 16: by Elaine (last edited May 19, 2014 04:28AM) (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Becky wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Becky wrote: "I will give it a go.

B. Read a book that is the fifth in..."

Becky I've got a feeling that it doesn't matter whether you read anymore, somehow I reckon your score is gonna be hard to beat!!! Well done. :)

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky Elaine wrote: "Becky wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Becky wrote: "I will give it a go.

B. Read a book that i..."

Beginner's luck LOL

message 18: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I've started a tally of points in the second comment. Sorry, I meant to do this from the start but forget, oops!

Yep, I don't think I've got a hope of catching up to you Becky. Especially since not a single one of the four books I am currently in the middle of qualify for any points!

I really need to organise my reads a bit better :-)

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky I am doing several challenges for other groups so i rarely complete a whole one but I love doing them becuase I have so many "TBR" that the challenges help me decide which book to read. i'm indecisive & too many choices overwhelm me lol

message 20: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Finished my second book for this challenge and probably my last I think that qualifies for any points. The Husband's Secret. I really enjoyed it and if I could would give it 4.5 stars.

So that gives me a total of 6 points.

So Becky your effort is outstanding. Well done. :)

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky Thanks!