Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: "Gigi’s Favorite RoM" > Favorite Read of the Month - April, 2014

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments

Hi! Its that time again to tell us what your best and worst reads were for the month of April. I've had a slow month. I haven't finished anything. I'm still reading The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12) by J.R. Ward. So, tell us about your April reads.

message 2: by Ipshita (last edited Apr 27, 2014 12:37AM) (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Its been a slow month for me too. I have read only 6 novels apart from a few mangas ,even though I had a month long vacation. My best read this month was Coast Road by Barbara Delinsky and Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas (it's my third time reading this one). Both the heroes are awesome and have the same name, Jack. Maybe I'm forming a fetish for that name :P
My worst read was In for a Penny by Rose Lerner , my reasons as to why this book received 1 star from me is here. I hope May goes better for me.

message 3: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments I'm just beginning to come out of a year long reading slump. My favorite (re)reads this month were Christine Feehan's Drake Sisters and Sisters of the Heart books.

message 4: by Mary23nm (new)

Mary23nm | 12 comments Loved Gallant Waif by Anne Gracie rated 5 star. My Forever Love by Marsha Canham and Miss Dornton's Hero (Signet Regency Romance, AE 8280) by Elisabeth Fairchild were very good.

message 5: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments My 5* reads were both UF: Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles #1) by Ilona Andrews & One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5) by Seanan McGuire

My favorite 4*s A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5) by Sabrina Jeffries Riveted (Iron Seas, #3) by Meljean Brook Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3) by Jennifer Ashley

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Glad you're coming out of your reading slump, Sandra J.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2014 06:41AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I had a good month. I'm currently listening to a reread of The Comforts of Home, which I'm sure will be a five-star, since the PB had been and it is well-narrated.
The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3) by Jodi Thomas

★★★★★ - Audio
Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole

★★★★★
Bellfield Hall (A Dido Kent Mystery, #1) by Anna Dean A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1) by Juliana Gray

★★★★½
Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer Paws For Murder by Annie Knox Mail-Order Christmas Brides Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek by Jillian Hart Whack 'N' Roll (Bunco Babes Mystery, #1) by Gail Oust

★★★★☆
Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1) by Kari Lee Townsend Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Moonlight On My Mind by Jennifer McQuiston Planning for Love (Aisle Bound, #1) by Christi Barth Untouchable (Immortals After Dark, #8) by Kresley Cole

message 8: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2014 07:10AM) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I've had a pretty good month.

My 5 stars:
Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) by Jill Shalvis (thanks, Lisa Kay!)
The Bridgertons Happily Ever After by Julia Quinn
Tangled Thing Called Love Life and Love on the Lam (A Loveswept Contemporary Romance) by Juliet Rosetti (WONDERFUL series - funny mystery with a romantic couple solving it)
The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12) by J.R. Ward

Most disappointing read this month: A Woman Made for Pleasure (Promises Trilogy, #1) by Michele Sinclair

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You're welcome, Susan!

message 10: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:22PM) (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments From the looks of things, I've had a pretty decent month. I'm still in the middle of my last one, but it's shaping up to be a three star read.

Five Stars
The Witness by Nora Roberts Inside Bet (Vegas Top Guns, #2) by Katie Porter Hold 'Em (Vegas Top Guns, #3) by Katie Porter Mary Magdalene A Novel by Diana Wallis Taylor Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5) by Tessa Dare Her Knight in Black Leather by J.M. Stewart An April Bride (A Year of Weddings, #5) by Lenora Worth Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts

Four Stars
Something About You (FBI / US Attorney, #1) by Julie James Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5) by Meredith Duran New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Serengeti Heat (Serengeti Shifters, #1) by Vivi Andrews A Heart Divided (Heart of the Rockies #1) by Kathleen Morgan Come Monday (Wild Irish, #1) by Mari Carr Nice & Naughty by Cat Johnson

Three Stars
Love Finds You in Holiday, Florida by Sandra D. Bricker Cinderella Unmasked (Fairytale Fantasies #1) by Bonnie Dee Snow Dance (A Dance 'n' Luv Short Story) by Alicia Street Dragonswan (Were-Hunter #0.5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Trials of Artemis (The Haberdashers, #1) by Sue London Naked Edge (I-Team, #4) by Pamela Clare Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1) by Hillary Manton Lodge

Two Stars
Hard Way (Vegas Top Guns, #4) by Katie Porter Taste the Heat (Love and Games, #1) by Rachel Harris Gentleman of Her Dreams (Ladies of Distinction, #0.5) by Jen Turano Love Finds You in Hope, Kansas by Pamela Griffin The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole Honeymoon For One by Chris Keniston Made to Last (Where Love Begins #1) by Melissa Tagg He Ain't Lion (Ridgeville, #1) by Celia Kyle Defiant Impostor by Miriam Minger The Rebel Spy by April London

One Star
Finding Cinderella (Hopeless, #2.5) by Colleen Hoover Stardust by Neil Gaiman City of Light (City of Mystery, #2) by Kim Wright Aphrodite's Kiss (Superhero Central #1) by Julie Kenner Niko's Stolen Bride by Lindy Corbin

The Best of the Month: The Witness
The Worst of the Month: Um...gotta say all the one stars! I can't single just one out!

message 11: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Ipshita wrote: "Its been a slow month for me too. I have read only 6 novels apart from a few mangas ,even though I had a month long vacation. My best read this month was Coast Road by Barbara Delinsky and [bookcove..."

Ipshita, I loved Smooth Talking Stranger! I can't wait to read Joe's book.

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy Most of the books I read this month were good.

5 stars
To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2) by Connie Willis The Yellow Admiral (Aubrey/Maturin, #18) by Patrick O'Brian She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith (the first audio dramatization of a play that I have listened to- it was very funny)

4+ stars
Murder at Hatfield House (Elizabethan Mysteries, #1) by Amanda Carmack William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher Ace of Hearts by Barbara Metzger

3 stars (I wanted to like these more than I did- maybe it was the mood I was in)
Hope Ignites (Hope, #2) by Jaci Burton When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1) by Lorraine Heath

message 13: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Wow! So many good books AGAIN.

message 14: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments I had a really good month.

4.5-5 stars:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Honey Moon by Susan Elizabeth Phillips The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter

4 stars:
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter From This Moment On (De Piaget, #9) by Lynn Kurland This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) by Jill Shalvis Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan This Is All I Ask (De Piaget, #7) by Lynn Kurland

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Good Gravy Beans! We read a whole lot of books.

message 16: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Good Gravy Beans! We read a whole lot of books."

I have a lot of downtime between when my son goes to bed and when I have to wake my husband for his overnight shift at work...means I spend it reading!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 56 comments 5 stars:
Evertrue (Everneath, #3) by Brodi Ashton Impostor (Variants, #1) by Susanne Winnacker Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

4 stars:
Snakeroot (Nightshade Legacy, #1) by Andrea Cremer Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1) by Kasey MacKenzie Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire

message 18: by Gea (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:30PM) (new)

Gea (gea89) | 412 comments Contemporary: The Missing Link (Marked, #1) by J.M. Sevilla Rising Assets (Maverick Montana, #3) by Rebecca Zanetti Stranded with a Billionaire (Billionaire Boys Club, #1) by Jessica Clare The Will (Magdalene, #1) by Kristen Ashley Beck (Corps Security, #3) by Harper Sloan Alpha by Jasinda Wilder

Bikers: Killer (The Skulls #5) by Sam Crescent Worth the Battle (Heaven Hill, #4) by Laramie Briscoe Perfect Collision (Marauders, #2) by Lina Andersson

PNR: Vampire Mine (Alpha and Omega, #3) by Aline Hunter The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12) by J.R. Ward

Historical: The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2) by Monica McCarty The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3) by Monica McCarty The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn Midnight Pleasures With a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4) by Lorraine Heath

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Finished The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCarty last night and I gave it 4.5 stars.

message 20: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments Love that series Susan!

I finished off the month with another good one (another UF too) City of Ghosts. It took me a book to warm up to Chess but now I love this series.

message 21: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments KarenF wrote: "Love that series Susan!

I finished off the month with another good one (another UF too) City of Ghosts. It took me a book to warm up to Chess but now I love this series."

It does take a bit to get into it, but it's worth it. One of my all time favorite series!!

message 22: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Added 4 more novella length books to my post, 2 Four star reads and 2 two star reads. I read Come Monday (Wild Irish, #1) by Mari Carr Nice & Naughty by Cat Johnson Defiant Impostor by Miriam Minger The Rebel Spy by April London

message 23: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 676 comments I only had one 5 star book this month...
Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole

But I had a bunch of 4 star books...
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith, #1) by David Barnett The Chase (Fox and O'Hare, #2) by Janet Evanovich City of Lost Dreams (City of Dark Magic, #2) by Magnus Flyte Hotter Than Hell (Hell on Earth, #3) by Jackie Kessler Cockatiels at Seven (Meg Langslow, #9) by Donna Andrews The Accidental Human (Accidentally Friends, #3) by Dakota Cassidy A Twist In Time (Da Vinci Time Travel, #3) by Susan Squires Josh (Wyoming Sky, #2) by R.C. Ryan

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Plagued with daily migraines the last week of the month... so I didn't finish The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3) by Jodi Thomas on audio - but it is a "re-read" for me.

I did, however, finish Shadow Woman by Linda Howard and just loved it -- ★★★★½.

message 25: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Plagued with daily migraines the last week of the month... so I didn't finish The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3) by Jodi Thomas on audio - but it is a "re-read" for me."

So sorry to hear that, LK! I suffer with Migraines too, and know what you go through! I hope you are feeling better now!

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ugh. I just hate migraines. They steal your life. Sorry you suffer, too, Trea.

message 27: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Ugh. I just hate migraines. They steal your life. Sorry you suffer, too, Trea."

They do indeed! *hugs*

message 28: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) @KarenF : Do you know that 2nd installment of InnKeeper Chronicles already released on their web? (even just a few chapter).

I read 10 books this month, and some are for request. Kinda miss read my own book :/

The Good (5*)
Dragon Actually (with A Tale of Two Dragons) by G.A. Aiken The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keeper, #2) by Denise Grover Swank

no 5 stars, but I will recommend this for everyone

Covet by Tracey Garvis-Graves - have "cheat" issues, but I think this book is more than that.
Her Best Laid Plans by Cara McKenna - very hot sex scene and it's located in Ireland! :)

The bad

Stop Dragon My Heart Around by Susannah Scott - I don't like when the author blatantly told reader that hero like Thor. Not good for imagination *shrug*

message 29: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments Ren wrote: "@KarenF : Do you know that 2nd installment of InnKeeper Chronicles already released on their web? (even just a few chapter)..."

Thanks Ren! I did not know that. Off to go check it out!

message 30: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments Gigi wrote: "Ipshita, I loved Smooth Talking Stranger! I can't wait to read Joe's book."

Yes! I'm so excited about his book :)

message 31: by Cmkage (last edited May 03, 2014 01:23PM) (new)

Cmkage | 10 comments My highlight this months were: Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop Outlaw (The Outlaw, #1) by Nicole James Crash (The Outlaw, #2) by Nicole James Nash (Marked Men, #4) by Jay Crownover The Will (Magdalene, #1) by Kristen Ashley The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1) by Rob Thomas

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited May 03, 2014 01:46PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, Cmkage, I'm reading Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop now - and it is wonderful! Fabulous! So much better than I expected.

message 33: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 10 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, Cmkage, I'm reading Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop now - and it is wonderful! Fabulous! So much better than I expected."

I thought the same. I've had it on my to-read list for a while because it was recommended to me, but for some reasons I wasn't convinced I'd enjoy the book. Boy was I wrong.

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited May 03, 2014 02:29PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL! Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop - like, soon! I might have to use my B&N coupon... which means I'll have to get #1, too, to make them a set. (I have the audiobook and the HC both from the library for #1.)

message 35: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 10 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "LOL! Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop - like, soon! I might have to use my B&N coupon... which means I'll have to get #1, too, to make th..."

I was going to wait to read the second one until it's cheaper. I lasted less than a day after I finished the first one and then I bought it anyway. And the first one didn't even end on a cliffhanger. It was just that good. Of course now I have to wait for the third one to come out.

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Cmkage wrote: "I lasted less than a day after I finished the first one..."

Yeah, I didn't hold out long, either. I went to B&N last night and bought the first one in HC, too, when it is available in PB. It is that good.

message 37: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 512 comments Now I have to bump Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop up the list!

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Nichole wrote: "Now I have to bump Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop up the list!"

Yeah, definitely. Like, Big Time Bump.

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm just going through your posts ! I want to add all these books!

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited May 05, 2014 03:14PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Only 2 5 stars for me this month .I read 9 books so I guess it's not that bad.

Moonlight On My Mind by Jennifer McQuiston
Apples Should Be Red by Penny Watson a cute short story

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments ShoSho wrote: "Only 2 5 stars for me this month .I read 9 books so I guess it's not that bad.

Apples Should Be Red by Penny Watson a cute short story"

I guess I should catch up on the Jennifer McQuiston books.

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susan (susayq ~) wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Only 2 5 stars for me this month .I read 9 books so I guess it's not that bad.

Apples Should Be Red by Penny Watson a cute short st..."

I liked them all!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Bridget Boland's "The Doula."

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.