Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Who wants to write a story?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,168 (1168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments This is a continuation of a discussion from the thread Amber started that addressed a report about author earnings by genre. We went way off topic so I started this incase anyone wanted to continue the discussion.

Horror Romance collaboration. Thus far the team consists of me, Amber and Gregor. Amber proposed alternating chapters. I proposed that we do a collection of short stories.

First, which do you think is the best route to take AND does anyone else want to join in?

message 2: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Poage | 10 comments Hi Sarah, this would definitely be an interesting project. I'd be interested in joining. I'm not sure if you've seen my stories, but I write Romance and the Bedtime Tales of Horror series.

I think either approach would be good and each offers options to have a great adventure in the creation process.

Short stories are probably the easiest approach as limited planning would need to be involved. A novel definitely requires more planning to make sure everything fits in.

However, there's a third option: use a common premise for all of the stories in the book.

So essentially have the story based at a camp site and have all of the short stories dealing with characters romances and their ultimate demise. That's really just an example.

But all in all you have a great idea.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments a really great idea for sure, would love to be a part of it, don't know if I ever could. Still growing on my own right. But I think separate stories would be the best route, but as Bradley pointed out doing a common premise would also be pretty great.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1826 comments Mod
Oh it would be so cool if people in the group did an anthology!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments For a first go around I think doing a collection of shorts would be easiest. And who knows what could grow from that.
As soon as Amber and Gregor chime in we can get the ball rolling!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Bradley, I have two of your works that I intend to read. This group has overwhelmed me with reading material. Everyone here is so talented!

message 7: by Courtney (new)

So is the premise horror romance?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Yes. Though I must admit that neither of those are genres I generally write in....so I hope what I have constructed thus far isn't completely off base.

message 9: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Poage | 10 comments See there's no reason why you can't set out to tackle a genre Sarah. I love experimenting with writing in different genres and different points of view. I think if you put all your effort in, you will succeed. Besides, there are some really great talents here as you have said. I know I am one of those talents that always has an open door. If you run into a hiccup or need feedback, I am always open and available. Besides, I write mainly horror...

message 10: by BK (last edited Apr 26, 2014 09:50PM) (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) | 33 comments This sounds so awesome! I love horror with some romance mixed in. I've only written poetry and short prose, so I'm useless to you for the collaboration part but I will be eagerly awaiting the finished product, lol. If you need a beta reader or more specific editing, let me know - I can help out with that (on a beginner level, though). :)

...I also love short stories, and I thought Bradley's idea of having the stories interconnected is great. Especially if you're sneaky with it so that as readers, we don't realize what the connection is until towards the end. It's not like they all have to be connected to each other, but more "six degrees of Kevin Bacon", know what I mean? I love stuff like that, though, so I'm being biased.

It would take more collaborating than just a regular anthology, but still not as much as a full length novel.

It's just my opinion. You guys are touching on 3 of my favorite things to read, so I had to chime in. I will shut up, now. :p

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments I like works with a central theme as well. Doing so would definitely take more planning.
Have any of you used Google Drive for collaborative work? I have and it has worked great for me.

message 12: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Poage | 10 comments I've used Google Drive in the past and it works very well.

message 13: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) | 33 comments I've heard it works well. I've used meetingwords.com before, but I think that's more for a single short collaborative piece, and it's in real time.

If you guys are ever in need of something like that, though, I recommend it.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments Never even heard og Google drive. I'm too far behind on the tech mumbo jumbo

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Michael, it is part of the Google suite a long with gmail etc.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments Ahhhh may have to check that out one of these days I'm not working

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments So this is what I was thinking... We are all busy with work, family, and other projects so it may be best to keep this as simple as possible.
What if our unifying theme is the 7 deadly sins? The anthology will be broken into sections - one for each sin. The shorts within those sections must have that sin as the governing theme.
We can stick with Horror Romance OR to make it a more eclectic collection we can open it up to other genres as long as the shorts maintain the theme of the given sin. (I will have to draw the line with Erotica however. Sorry. I mean no judgement.)
So...if this sounds like a blast blast to you, let me know.
My email is sjaneroberts@gmail.com

message 18: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) I think the 7 deadly sins idea provides a set of necessary limitations for a project like this. However, even though I've never read or written romance, I think the project should keep romance as the focus (with some horror tropes mixed in). After all, romance was the kernel of this idea to begin with.

message 19: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I haven't done much with short stories in a while. The ezine where I was an active author, sadly closed its' doors. Too bad, because I enjoy being part of a community. Anyways, it would be nice to have an outlet again. For novels, I write psychological thrillers but for short stories, I write dark fantasy, though throwing in romance isn't a big deal to me, I just couldn't do it as a full novel.

Here's a sample story:

http://lilyauthor.com/fiction/ShortSt...

Let me know if all of you would be interested in that kind of thing as a part of the anthology. Maybe with more focus on romance, and, er, less focus on absolute tragedy...

message 20: by Courtney (new)

If several authors put in you'd all be writing a novel/novelette at most if you were alternating POVs and such fun stuff.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments I am playning with the title Fringe Idolatry - An Anthology of Horrifyingly Romantic Short Stories.
Figured it only right to pay homage to the group.

message 22: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Hmm, that title is a bit long-winded, though I really like the respect it pays to the group.

message 23: by Monica (new)

Monica Pierce (monicaenderlepierce) | 115 comments If it's not too late, I'd love it get in on this project. Sounds awesome! I write dark fantasy and space opera (with romantic elements), so not outside my realm.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Lily, I thought so too but I like the Fringe Idolatry part.

Monica, the more the merrier!

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Fringe Idoltry is nice, for within the group. I'm just wondering what the goal is. An athology to sell on Amazon et al? A collection to give away for free? I honestly don't mind whatever the goal happens to be. I'm just concerned that complete strangers would take one look at Fringe Idoltry, and immediately look away.

Working title, perhaps?

message 26: by Monica (new)

Monica Pierce (monicaenderlepierce) | 115 comments If the Seven Deadly Sins ends up being the theme, how about something like "Seven Deadly Sins from the Fringe"?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Oooo I like that!

message 28: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I second what Monica said!

The graphic deisgner in me sees something like this:

The Seven Deadly Sins
From the Fringe

message 29: by Michael (last edited Apr 27, 2014 12:02PM) (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments Damn Monica and Lily that really puts some movie poster shit to it. I like. Lol

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica Pierce (monicaenderlepierce) | 115 comments LOL! I contributed! I contributed! Whee!

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments by the by, I was reading over a story i'm currently writing and just realized it has a greed theme to it haha oh crap. now if only I can finish the damn thing. o.o

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments By the by Michael, I've put you down as contributing a short for the Greed section. How's that for motivation! =)

message 33: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Poage | 10 comments These are some great ideas. I'd be up for the lust sin. I think that would be a great one to write a story about.

message 34: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I'll take whatever's leftover lol

I see no reason why there can't be more than one story per sin, depending on how many people get involved.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments Sarah, luckily i'm halfway through the story (not counting editing and adding a few things here and there, but damn you writer's block!)
i'm actually excited about what others are willing to write haha
and i'm with Lily, if more than 7people are willing to contribute it'd be awesome to do more than one story per sin. just to kinda have that whole, variety of what can be done with lust and greed and all that.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments It would be great if we could have more than one per sin. I am working on one for lust and have ideas written out for envy, gluttony, and wrath so far.

message 37: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Pride?

message 38: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) What word count were you guys thinking for each short story?

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments I don't want to set strict limits. But it would be best to stick to as short as 1,000 to as long as 10,000.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Pride seems like it would be a tough one. More power to you Lily!

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments one more thing, is the romance still going to be a factor? not that I mind haha I love me a challenge

message 42: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Let's say, 7 stories (minimum), at least 1000, that would 7000 words. That's a fair bit, might be too much.

message 43: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Pride and Zombies, I'm there.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Michael, yes. Horror Romance.

message 45: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Romantic Horror? Horific Romance? Horrifyingly Romantic? lol

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments this is gonna be fun haha

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Romantically Horrific

message 48: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) XD

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy Butcher | 46 comments Wow, you guys seem to be on a roll! As a writer, this is so totally not my genre, but if you need some free editing, I wouldn't mind pitching in (as BK also volunteered).

Amy

message 50: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Thanks Amy!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24