Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Necessary Lies (Necessary Lies, #1)
This topic is about Necessary Lies
Necessary Lies > Too GOOD to be TRUE?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Jane's personality seems to be almost flawless. We see very few if any negative traits. Is Jane too idealistic? Is she too pure of heart to be a realistic character?

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments No, I don't think Jane is too idealistic and she is very real. She is sweet, kind, caring, honest and certainly naive. She tried to do what was best for her clients but it had to fail in the harsh, cruel measures practiced by society at the time. Jane's naïveté also lead her to marry a man where they both had unrealistic expectations of each other. They ignored signs; they are ALWAYS there!

Laura | 92 comments I think her pureness is what makes her a refreshing character to get to know. She may be naïve, but she means well and she isn't afraid to stand up for herself and her beliefs. What's not to like about that?

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I agree Laura, Jane is refreshing -- she is a wonderful character to meet in a book. It's really her personality, her love of people and the fact that she is so genuine that made me root for her and care about finishing the book.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I found Jane to be a pleasant character as well. Perhaps not completely believable but her character fit the needs of the story perfectly. I think she was the type of character you bond with. You want things to work out for her and you are counting on her to make it work out for all the other characters as well.

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I felt that Jane's character was made a little bit too good to be true in order to underline the difference between her and her colleagues as well as herself and the other 'wives'. She was obviously naive because I don't really think she was stupid and it was stupid of her, in her official position, to take the children to the beach. So, although, I realize why the author writes Jane the way she does I feel that this makes what happens in the story very predictable.

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod