The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Reading Publisher/Author provided ARCs

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
So when I created this group, I did so with the idea of no author self promotion and so far there has only been 1-2 random people who tried.

Today I was contacted by a publicist for an author asking if some of the members would be interested in reading and discussing a new book coming out next month.

I'm not going to get into details about the book/author here at this point, but I'm posing the question to those that care to weigh in. Is this kind of thing you're interested in?

Personally I'm not interested. I think there are enough groups out there where authors can promote their works if they are so inclined, and it doesn't really if the more organic nature of the group.

However, I'm not a dictator, so if there is enough interest in this kind of thing, so be it. As far as I'm concerned if a few people want to read something I'm happy to create a discussion section for it and throw it on the calendar.

I created a poll. It will only be open for a week, so vote if you're so inclined or not.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by Orelia (new)

Orelia | 50 comments ... I think I need someone to explain the business side of this to me. Where is the profit in having a few members of our relatively small group discuss a book? Who would see this discussion beyond the people participating?

I suppose that a smaller group is beneficial so that the publisher wouldn't have to give out so many ARCs. In this day and age, though, aren't all ARCs eBooks? There's no real additional cost per unit, though they might be cutting into their profits if they gave out a lot of copies for free.

As you can tell, I didn't take Economics in college. (Not that I was taking fluff, mind you.)I don't want to vote until I can make an informed decision.

Also, is it safe to assume that this publicist has looked at the types of books the group has discussed in the past? (Adult sci-fi or fantasy?) If they want us discussing the latest teen paranormal romance, I'm out.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
In this case, the book is sci-fi. As to the why they do it, it's less about a discussion and more about the reviews/ratings. The hope is you'll like it and your friends will see and buy it and like it, etc etc.

I don't think a group this small would ever be approached by someone for the bigger authors Alex names either.

Personally, I think this sets a bad precedent. I'd rather members bring books they are interested in instead of some outside person. I for one would probably not participate in any such reads.

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin I don't mind people outside of (any) group asking if someone wants an ARC or publisher-provided book. I do think that it has to be somewhat limited, and sometimes people abuse that in the other forum many of us are in, multiple threads on the same thing, etc. That drives me nuts.

Personally, if I were an author/publisher, I'd rather use a group as a starting point and see if there are active members who would possibly be interested in the book and approach them directly. Spamming the group hoping for a hit sounds more like throwing darts.

message 5: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) I also don't like the idea of it. I like things the way they are.

message 6: by Jake (new)

Jake m (atticus55) | 76 comments If our Ka-tet were to do such a thing I believe we would have forgotten the faces of our fathers.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on the book, I guess.