Indie Authors discussion

Wyrd Worlds > Cover Art for Wyrd Worlds II

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments Hello all. Ross has kindly agreed to create a cover for Wyrd Worlds II. Those who were around last year will remember the fun and games we had deciding about the cover, that is until Ross dazzled us with the elegant artwork as used on the finished anthology. I'm really pleased he has agreed to help out again.

Ross has asked for possible themes or ideas. All suggestions welcome!

message 2: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Great! How about something very similar with a different base colour?

message 3: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments I don't think it should rule out other people doing covers though, if they have ideas.

I was also thinking something similar, but I wasn't sure if that would just look lazy.

message 4: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Well we could have a vote like last year.

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments I think there should be at least some similarity in the covers, since this collection is technically the sequel, and it's nice to have some similarity in covers for a series.

message 6: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Here are my suggestions for the next six Wyrd Worlds titles.

Wyrd Worlds, Too
Wyrd Worlds, Tray (with pic of tray and three tea cups)
Wyrd Worlds, Fore! (with golf club)
Wyrd Worlds, (with pic of hand)
Wyrd Worlds, Sex (kind of obvious)
Wyrd Worlds, Sheaven (with our favorite one eyed mutant sitting on a cloud)

just kidding. sort of

message 7: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments The next six? Gulp. Doing a sequel doesn't make it a series. I'm off to have a lie down...

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments LOL!

message 9: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments I just a quick, basic test. I took the last cover and put the names in different colours. It looked quite nice (I only coloured a handful, to see).

What do you think of that, if everyone chose a colour?

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments If we do that, can I have purple? It's my favourite colour, plus it's in the title of my story...

message 11: by L.L. (new)

L.L. Watkin (LLWatkin) | 62 comments It sounds like a good plan to make the covers similar but not exactly the same. I guess we've got some new contributors too, so the names would be different..

message 12: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments Yes, I wouldn't be able to make it until near the release, so that I know I definitely have all the names.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Me, blue! Pretty please? Blue or yellow! :)
Thanks!
Now someone please brings some salts to poor Steph who has fainted at the thought of keeping this up to 6 - can't blame her! ;)

message 14: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments This was my quick test to see what the colours looked like: http://ross-harrison.com/?attachment_...

Obviously there aren't enough colours in the rainbow for people to say 'Red, green, pink', so if everyone thinks it's ok, then I'll give everyone a link to a colour selector web designers use, and you can pick the exact shade you want.

message 15: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 418 comments That really stands out, Ross. I like it.

Also, I think Steph only pretended to faint because she wanted a nap. I think I'd like to try that.

message 16: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments Ross wrote: "This was my quick test to see what the colours looked like: http://ross-harrison.com/?attachment_......"

Ooh! That's pretty! Just a thought, could you change the black background, too? Or maybe reverse it so it's black text on white..?

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments Ross wrote: "This was my quick test to see what the colours looked like: http://ross-harrison.com/?attachment_...

Obviously there aren't enough colours in the rainbow for people to say 'Red, green, pink', s..."

If we need to be picking exact shades, then you'll have to give me time to give my hubby the link so he can help me out with that one... Remembering colours is one thing, but remembering shades of them and the correct names for them is another.

message 18: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Looks good:)

message 19: by Ross (last edited May 07, 2014 04:20AM) (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments What about this one? http://ross-harrison.com/?attachment_...

EDIT: The black would be a bit clearer than that.

message 21: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 418 comments I like both of those, Ross. The second one does a great job of identifying this book as the sequel.

message 22: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments I think the 'II' will have to be either as it is there, or the title will have to move up a bit and the II go underneath. I think the former is probably better. Especially when it comes to thumbnails.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Ross wrote: "And another one: http://ross-harrison.com/?attachment_..."

this one seems better, but I don't know about thumbnail size...

message 24: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I prefer that one too.

message 25: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments Ross wrote: "I think the 'II' will have to be either as it is there, or the title will have to move up a bit and the II go underneath. I think the former is probably better. Especially when it comes to thumbnails."

Yes, I prefer the second one, with the big 'II'. Did I mention I haven't actually written a story for this yet?

message 26: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 418 comments Happy to hear that, Steph. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

message 27: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments I'm 1500 words in.

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments Looks like it's a good thing the deadline isn't until the end of June, LOL!

message 29: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments Since I assume we now know exactly who is submitting to the anthology, I can start the cover, if everyone still wants me to do it. So can you give me a definite list of everyone?

Secondly, I mentioned before that I was thinking of getting everyone to choose a few colours so I use those for their names. Shall we do that, or shall I just randomly colour them?

message 30: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 418 comments I've always been partial to lime green, but I'm fine with whatever direction the group wants to take.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments I guess there's too many of us to pick a specific colour, but if I can choose, any shade of blue would be wonderful! :)

message 32: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments If that's the way you want to do it, go to this site and pick, say, 3 colours each: http://www.colorpicker.com/

Then give me the numbers that show above the colour picker.

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments #869FDE #070BF2 #1C8BE6
That was fun! :D (like playing with Photoshop)

message 34: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments I'll have my hubby help me look later, and then I'll get back to you with my three colours.

message 35: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 418 comments #00FF08, #FF00EE, or #00FFFB for me, please.

If not, feel free to pick some other color. That's fine, too.

message 36: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments Hi Ross. You may want to wait a bit longer before starting. We shifted the deadline to the end of July and there's still a fair few people who haven't yet submitted anything.

message 37: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Steph wrote: "Hi Ross. You may want to wait a bit longer before starting. We shifted the deadline to the end of July and there's still a fair few people who haven't yet submitted anything."

I was wondering about that after I said I would submit a story. I was afraid I was too late.

message 38: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments Steph wrote: "Hi Ross. You may want to wait a bit longer before starting. We shifted the deadline to the end of July and there's still a fair few people who haven't yet submitted anything."

Yes, that's why I wanted to know now. It takes a pretty long time to put the cover together and I didn't want to be spending a couple of days solid on it, since I have other things to do.

Judging by the other thread, though, it seems like people who didn't say they were submitting anything are now going to, so I'll need to wait.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1405 comments Here you go... For whenever you're ready to work on the cover...

Light purple: #d3b9fa
Medium purple: #a369fa
Darker purple: #631dcc

message 40: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 814 comments Ross wrote: "Yes, that's why I wanted to know now. It takes a pretty long time to put the cover together and I didn't want to be spending a couple of days solid on it, since I have other things to do..."

Of course. I haven't started the editing yet, so I think we're probably looking at a September publication date again. We should have the final list of authors by the beginning of August.

message 41: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments Steph wrote: Of course. I haven't started the editing yet, so I think we're probably looking at a September publication date again. We should have the final list of authors by the beginning of August.

Ok :)

message 42: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments D78DD7 D7998D B18DD7.

message 43: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) A.L. wrote: "D78DD7 D7998D B18DD7."

The DD's had going for a second.

message 44: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Yes:)
DD was my tag on one online game.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Puttonen (mput) | 59 comments #BA1E00, #00BA57, #00BA9E

message 46: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments Okay, here is the 'final'. Names can be removed or added, and some things can be changed a bit. What do you think?

http://ross-harrison.com/?attachment_...

message 47: by Zach (new)

Zach Tyo (ztyo) | 53 comments I think its great myself. I was going to use an initial for my first name, but to be quite honest seeing it in print completely changes the way I feel about it.

Nice work Ross!

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael Puttonen (mput) | 59 comments Very nice, Ross! Do you think a thin, black outline around each name would give them a sharper contrast against the background, or would that change the overall look of the cover too much?

message 49: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 354 comments Michael wrote: "Very nice, Ross! Do you think a thin, black outline around each name would give them a sharper contrast against the background, or would that change the overall look of the cover too much?"

I just tried it and it doesn't really make much a difference, other than to make the Wyrd Worlds part less clear (because there's too much black elsewhere then.

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Puttonen (mput) | 59 comments Ross wrote: "Michael wrote: "Very nice, Ross! Do you think a thin, black outline around each name would give them a sharper contrast against the background, or would that change the overall look of the cover ..."

OK, thanks for checking. Again, nice job on the cover. Appreciate you taking the time to do this.

« previous 1