One Hundred Years of Solitude One Hundred Years of Solitude discussion

Love it!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Gavin Frank Can't believe I only got around to it now. A beautiful work.

carlos Gabriel Marcia Marquez is one of the greatest authors of Latin America. I suggest reading his other work and if you like his style you should also check out books by the peruvian author Mario Vargas Llosa who recently won the Nobel Peace Prize for literature

message 3: by Zulfiya (last edited Apr 13, 2011 09:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zulfiya I love them both (Marquez and Llosa). Though I think I would expand the list a bit, adding Borges and Amadu. Magical realism is truly special. The idea of solitude, a certain cultural and emotional detachment and reclusiveness of the small community, life as a tiresome repetition of events and fates - I actually do not know a better book to convey the message of existential loss more powerfully than this book. Love it!

Karo I would add the early work of Isabelle Allende to the list as well

Tacuazin Karo wrote: "I would add the early work of Isabelle Allende to the list as well"

I agree with Karo. Specially The House of the Spirits, that tends to be paired with Hundred Years... due to, at least, two common traits: the magic realism and the "tracking" of several generations of the same family.

The poetry in both authors' prose is just beautiful.

Catalina Ramirez I love him, but I could be bias, I am from Colombia and it describes a sort of small town in our country.

Tacuazin Still, my Gabriel García Márquez' favourite book is not Hundred Years, but Love in the Time of Cholera. By far.

Pollopicu One of my favorite novels.

Ellen I just didn't get it. Wanted it to be good but the story was bazaar and then it was all over. Very disappointing to me.

Ellen You mean to tell me that the entire book is a metaphor?!!? OMG no wonder I didn't get it. LOL

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I really loved this book! One of my favorites of all. I also enjoyed Love in the Time of Cholera, I can't eat asparagus without thinking of the Doctor.

Eliza Rapsodia I am colombian and I totally loved it ;) Incredible novela.

message 13: by Nil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nil My first think was "how different world from ours" methaphors and all colours of the novel(especially from african culture)introduced me the magical realism
and that was really good first for me(:

Stephanie I agree... Marquez is amazing. This was the first experience I had with magical realism, and I enjoyed every minute. The characters were wonderfully crafted and memorable. I would also suggest checking out some of his other works and would like to thank those that made suggestions I hadn't heard of before :)

Cyndi This was also my first experience with magical realism..and boy was I rewarded. Lush, colorful, exotic..just a few words to describe the evocations of this novel. A master work to say the least. I also enjoyed Love In the Time of Cholera.

Rosun Rajkumar He is so amazing. I was blown away when I finished 'one hundred years of solitude'. He does create poetry in prose. I love the touch of allegorical philosophy in his works. I enjoyed 'Love in the times of cholera' too. The story did have a depth appeal than mere sexual encounters.

Haifa Autumn of the patriarch is magnifecent.

message 18: by Gopi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gopi The master of magical realism. Poetic Prose is all I can say about his works. Even his autobiography has the same charm as his novels.

message 19: by Tk (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tk i had to second guess myself because i thought it was real, wish i were latin

Cindy Jackson I was surprised to see this thread on here. The home page has always been full of more recent books when I've been on before. For those of you that really like the magic realism stuff, check out Milan Kundera, too. My favorite of his is The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, followed by The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I was introduced to magic realism in a college course, and both Laughter and Forgetting and One Hundred Years of Solitude were both required reading. It's a toss up as to which I like best.

Shelley Try reading this book out loud. I did it with my daughter, and now it's one of her all-time favorites.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 22: by Eden (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eden One of my favorite books. I read it at least once a year. Beautifully written.

Javier Bonilla This novel and the Autumn of the Patriarch are the major books of Gabo but I recommend you also No one writes to the Colonel, Chronicle of a death foretold and his early shortstories.

Leslie Shelley wrote: "Try reading this book out loud. I did it with my daughter, and now it's one of her all-time favorites.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com"

I like this idea about reading the book aloud. As an adult I forget to, sometimes, unless I'm reading poetry! Thanks for the reminder. As a child I used to see One Hundred Years of Solitude in the library and I would look at it and say "I'm going to read that when I get older." Keeping that promise to myself, I read the book 30 years ago, for the first time. It took the wind out of me! For a while I read it annually, and always found new reasons to love it. It is a ridiculously awesome tale and I believed every word. This is also the book that made me know I had to read authors from all over the world!

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary I read this book twice and didn't like it either time. I read it the second time because I kept hearing how good it was but I still didn't like it. Then I heard of magic realism. Now I understand.

Scone Mason This was a one of the few novels that made me say "I didn't know a novel could do that." I'll never forget the moment I finished it in college. My heart was actually racing as I neared the end. Readers will know what I'm talking about. Magnificent. This book also shows that having an MFA does not make you a writer, living life does. Writing schools have ruined writing in America. *end of rant*

Katalin This is one of the best books ever written! I have read it both in English and many many years ago in Hungarian.. I have to admit it was better translated in HUngarian, but it still is a masterpiece... like about the top of the list of a 100 books you have to read before you die... or at least one of the first 10!

Rotapannotta I read this book about 10 years ago, and I still remember Josè Arcadio Buendia and his weird family!