LARGEST GROUP ON GOODREADS!!!!!!!!!! discussion

Debates > Kindle Vs. Ipad

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelyh) Kindle or IPad? I prefer Kindle for reading and iPad for playing apps. and surfing the net.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I prefer to read on kindle but iPad is more convenient for school and what not so I would have to say iPad

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I prefer Ipad, because it has more buttons, which I enjoy. And as a more logical reason, it is more useful and easier to learn how to use.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Alpa {I am Okaasan Russia Honk, Honk, Honk} wrote: "I prefer Ipad, because it has more buttons, which I enjoy. And as a more logical reason, it is more useful and easier to learn how to use."

Agreed

message 5: by Tess (new)

Tess | 14 comments I think iPad because you can have apps on it and read on either the kindle app or iBooks. It's like 100 in 1. :)

message 6: by Artsygal402 (new)

Artsygal402 | 173 comments I don't like either. I like the Samsung Galaxy.

message 7: by Tess (new)

Tess | 14 comments Nice. There good 2. :)

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Neither. They are luxuries.

message 9: by Tess (new)

Tess | 14 comments Agreed.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments And luxuries that are funding African warlords... .

message 11: by Tess (new)

Tess | 14 comments What?

message 12: by Amber (last edited Dec 17, 2014 11:22AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Resistance Army in Sudan.

Child soldiers and mass rape... .

They are called "conflict minerals," one of the prettiest examples are "blood diamonds." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Di...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enough_P...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automoti...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suroosh_... and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairphone

message 13: by Tess (new)

Tess | 14 comments Ohh, I'm only 13.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (abookbuff) | 129 comments To read, I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite, simply because it's lighter and more maneuverable. I have a 3rd generation iPad, so it's quite heavy to read with, but great for many other things. I also opt for my Kindle when I read outside because the screen doesn't glare, nor smudge!

message 15: by Tess (new)

Tess | 14 comments I don't have a iPad but I have a kindle 4.1.1 so it's old but I prefer just normal books. I love the smell and feel of a book.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments That's why I don't have one either. It's a luxury and when you have young kids, luxury is for jerks, plus I love the feel and smell of real books as well. I might eventually get a tablet but it will mostly be used for light gaming (still a little bit of a Castleville addict) and for storing embroidery charts so I don't have to hump around my original paper copies and worry about them getting lost or ruined (both of which have happened).

message 17: by Artsygal402 (new)

Artsygal402 | 173 comments Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Army in Sudan.

They are called "conflict minerals," one of the prettiest ex..."

I had never heard of this before now.

message 18: by Artsygal402 (new)

Artsygal402 | 173 comments Tess wrote: "I don't have a iPad but I have a kindle 4.1.1 so it's old but I prefer just normal books. I love the smell and feel of a book."

I think it's kinda weird to call any tablet "old".

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments █▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Army in Sudan.

They are called "conflict minerals," one of th..."

I've known about it for at least three years. Don't mean to offend, but what rock were you hiding under that you don't know about conflict minerals?

happy7: Amen! The trees that make the paper that real books are made of can grow back. Lives can't.

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Army in Sudan.

They are calle..."

I've known slightly longer but I'm a bit nerdy and.. well... old...

message 21: by Amber (last edited Dec 17, 2014 01:30PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Nicole wrote: "Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Army in Sudan.

..."

LOL. You've probably also seen my reasons in a similar thread elsewhere on GR... .

message 22: by Artsygal402 (new)

Artsygal402 | 173 comments Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Army in Sudan.

They are calle..."

I honestly have no idea. I've known that I live under a rock for about 3 years now, before that I was totally unaware of everything going on around me, and then I started learning all this stuff I never knew, and people would always ask me if I've been living under a rock, so I must have been. I've become more observant since then, but I guess I still have a ways to go, since this is something that apparently everyone knows about. Well, now I know. :)

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments █▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's Army in Sudan.

..."

I apologize if my written tone seemed offensive to you.

It happens.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Amber wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony or The Lord's A..."

Oh no, LONG before that but I read.. well.. a LOT and pretty much EVERYthing so I'm sure I read it in a magazine somewhere in the early 90s as my memory of learning about it harkens back to high school/college ish times.

message 25: by Artsygal402 (new)

Artsygal402 | 173 comments Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kon..."

nah, it's fine. :)

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Nicole wrote: "Amber wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Amber wrote: "█▓▒░QʊɛɛռArtsy░▒▓█ 402 wrote: "Amber wrote: "Some of the components, like gold, vanadium, tin; come from mines controlled by jackasses like Joseph Kony o..."

True, Nicole, but as you and I both know from a similar thread elsewhere on GR, the majority of the items we use in our daily lives (microwaves, stoves, fridges) are essentials whereas Kindles and iPads are luxuries.

Queen Artsy: You're welcome.

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Hah, my stove is very nice, but no one is realistically cooking outside in a pit in North America on a daily basis (prepers aside. lol). Nor is a frige really a 'luxury' unless you consider not eating rotter or dehydrated food luxurious.

I think by 'reasonable' measure a stove and frige are basics, a microwave is a luxury as is a coffee pot, toaster, etc. You must be able to make/store food, you don't need to make it easy to create.

Are my folded steel Japanese carving knives a luxury or are they a valuable time saver? I mean, I guess I COULD just bite those raw pieces of meat apart with my teeth :D

message 28: by Amber (last edited Dec 19, 2014 01:24PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Nicole wrote: "Hah, my stove is very nice, but no one is realistically cooking outside in a pit in North America on a daily basis (prepers aside. lol). Nor is a frige really a 'luxury' unless you consider not ea..."

A toaster is an essential if you don't have an archaic piece of equipment called a "toe toaster" and a fireplace, Nicole. I kid you not, there was such an appliance used in the colonial period. It was basically some cast iron stuff that had a slot for a single hand sliced piece of bread and it was on a ball bearing-type pivot. You put it front of your fireplace, took off your shoes and socks (if you were fortunate enough to HAVE shoes and socks) and used your TOES to turn it...well if you've ever used a cast iron skillet to cook a steak, you know what happened to the toes!

That was on an early episode of READING RAINBOW and host LeVar Burton DID get toasted toes when he demonstrated it.

That little bit of comedy about the toe toaster aside, Nicole, I DID say that the fridge and stove ARE essentials. ;)

message 29: by Sana (new)

Sana | 382 comments I have an iPad and I love it

message 30: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelyh) I hate my iPad for reading

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Amber wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Hah, my stove is very nice, but no one is realistically cooking outside in a pit in North America on a daily basis (prepers aside. lol). Nor is a frige really a 'luxury' unless you ..."

so you did. I haven't slept much lately. The baby is teething and going through a growth spurt.

Lack of sleep makes me dumb.

message 32: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments That sounds like something my mom would have said, Nicole.

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Lol Amber, I think all moms go through it at one point or another but this little squirt has only let me average 3 hours a night and not consecutively. e seems to be feeling better now that the one on the bottom is in, the one on the top is still fighting coming out and the chronic comfort/growth nursing has slowed. Real moms fall asleep still latched. lol

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Ouch...teething... .

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments I wish I wasn't his fave teething relief. lol

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments That's even worse.

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Oh you have NO idea. It's like having a kinky partner that refuses to notice the safety word. lol

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Ouch but you and I DO seem to be getting off topic... .

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Haven't we always? lol

message 40: by Amber (last edited Dec 26, 2014 09:12AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Nicole wrote: "Haven't we always? lol"

Good point, Nicole.

Wren: I disagree. They're both LUXURIES and aren't good for a damned thing except enriching the African, Asian and Middle Eastern warlords who control the mines where the materials to make them come from. These warlords are also into child prostitution and other unsavory activities.

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments True but people deserve to be educated about WHY to avoid them as well.

message 42: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 467 comments I have a Kindle. I suppose it would be easier to do internet on an IPAD, though.

message 43: by anusha (new)

anusha (bookishlyanusha) | 11 comments It's much more fun to read on a Kindle than on an iPad but you can do much more stuff on an iPad.

message 44: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Including support warlords... .

message 45: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelyh) We KNOW Amber.

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments The newbies don't, Empress.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

You actually remember less of what you read if you read it off of a screen.

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 46 comments Got scientific proof of that Analeese?

Tristan, High mastro (Nine Blades) . (tristantristan054563) | 357 comments Lol... Nicole... Amber... You two should your own TV show

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 3868 comments Tristan, High mastro (Nine Blades) wrote: "Lol... Nicole... Amber... You two should your own TV show"

No we shouldn't. The makeup they use to make you look good on the screen makes you look like a cheap whore in person, not to mention I honestly CAN'T wear makeup w/o it feeling ike it's MELTING off my face in less than 5 seconds after it's fully applied, plus the damned itching makes me literally wanna dig my non-existent fingernails into my face and pull my skin off until there is nothing left but blood smeared bones!

« previous 1