Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > Gillian Duncan question **SPOILERS through Voyager**

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Diaz | 1 comments I startd rereading the series and am currently finishing up the second book. A thought just occurred to me and I would like some insight please. In the first book Claire makes many mentions as how you stepped back in time roughly 200 years, she mentions that's why the Scottish stories mention two hubdread years ago. However, Gillian Duncan didn't go back in time till 1968 but she went back further than 200 years. Why?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments there is the possibility of precious gems or blood being able to better direct (for lack of a better word) time travel

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Miller (sarajmiller) | 5 comments In the third book Voyager I think it gets into more of the specifics. The gems and blood is one theory and then Claire's reasoning is that maybe you focus on that certain person to end up where you want.

message 4: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments And don't forget, Geille (sp?) went back before Claire and that while she may have gone back more than 200 years, we don't know how long she was married to her husband. Do we?
The stories are always 200 years, or so.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments u think timeline wise she actually went back after claire (in real years) - because in bk 3 (I think) they see her disappear and brianna is there...so she def. goes back more than 200 years

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i'm going to tag this convo as having spoilers through voyager as well, so that way newbies don't have their experience ruined ;)

message 7: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 398 comments It doesn't have to be 200 years. It becomes more clear in the later books, so I don't want to spoil it for you. The explanation is really simple though.

message 8: by Mrsbooks (last edited Apr 27, 2014 11:33AM) (new)

Mrsbooks | 398 comments Gillian ends up in the year 1733. 1968-1733. 235 year difference.

message 9: by Tere (new)

Tere Fredericks I have to throw my hat into the ring of you focus on where you want to go and that's where you end up. It is NOT a spoiler if you read in Outlander that Geillis wanted to help Prince Charles that she went to a time where she could get the $$ to help him. Hum, maybe that was in Voyager. My mind is mush today. Anyway, it IS explained how she got where she landed and WHY. Keep reading. Claire ended up with Jamie because she was curious about BJR, even if she didn't realize it. Or the stones knew where she really belonged. Dang, so many books, so little time before the semester ends!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments Also, didn't Gellie travel through the stones multiple times? I was under the impression that she went back and forth when it suited her or to accomplish some task. She was essentially a time jumper.

message 11: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 398 comments When she realizes Claire went back to the future I thought she revealed then that she hadn't known it was possible.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments Hm, I dunno. Maybe someone can clarify. It has been a while since I've read the first few books. But, I thought that she mentioned traveling through the stones a few times.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I don't think she did. She had a theory about it through her previous research but I don't think she ever accomplished it. It was her plan and she was surprised when she met Claire a second time. She was going to use the gem stones and the blood letting of a virgin to guide her but that is when she met up with Jamie and Clair the second time and was left in the cave.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification, Diane. Maybe that's where I'm mixing it up. She DID talk about going back and forth through the stones and she was going to attempt it but meet her doom before then.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments and there were other people in her group (I think) who had gone through/tried to go through

message 16: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yeah, I read it as she did lots of testing but had only actually gone through once. When she found out Claire did it again and again she was shocked, surprised that Claire survived it.

Also, I always got the impression that Claire was pulled to Jamie's time because of BJR's connection to Frank. They were so similar (in DNA not in personality). Right as she went through she called Frank's name. Then, if I remember correctly, she felt somethign familiar and went toward that. Which was BJR.

But, I could be wrong.

message 17: by Mia (new)

Mia (miatb) | 18 comments What was it that Gellis thought some savior comes through thr Frasier bloodline?

message 18: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It was a Fraser Prophesy, I don't remember the name of it.

message 19: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) oh I don`t remember a savior thru the Frasers which book is that in ?

message 20: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 398 comments Geillis mentions it in voyager and its brought up again in (view spoiler)

message 21: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Thanks Mrsbooks I`ll look it up when I get home from work.

message 22: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Veronica wrote: "I startd rereading the series and am currently finishing up the second book. A thought just occurred to me and I would like some insight please. In the first book Claire makes many mentions as how ..."

It was in the 3rd book where they go into more details about Geillus and how she went further back than Claire. Geillus and Claire actually discuss the 200 year span, and why Geillus felt she could exceed it.

Geillus only went through the 1 time, but when Claire was back in Scotland when she returned it was 1948 and Geillus hadn't left until 1968 so Claire actually got to see her leaving for the 1st time. (view spoiler)

DG stated in her Blog that Master Raymond had been time traveling since 400bc (which would make him over 2000 years old) so that's something I think she'll be telling us more about in the next book she writes.

message 23: by Brizo (new)

Brizo (brizosdream) | 320 comments Mia wrote: "What was it that Gellis thought some savior comes through thr Frasier bloodline?"

The prophesy states that (view spoiler)