Read with Pride Northwest discussion

GRNW Meet-Up 2014 > GRNW 2014 Meet-Up - Introduce Yourselves!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
As we gear-up for GRNW 2014 on September 20, 2014 and the Seattle Public Library, we thought it would be fun to get to know each other prior to the big event!

I know what some of you are thinking--we did this last year! That's right. :-) But it's always good to step back and reintroduce ourselves for all who are new.

So, I'll start!

Hi, I'm Tracy! I'm a volunteer and the event coordinator for the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up. I'm a big fan of LGBTQ romance and started reading in late 2011. (Some of my favorite authors include Josh Lanyon, Jordan Castillo Price, and Tamara Allen, but I love reading all kinds of books, especially fantasy, sci-fi, and mysteries.) :D

In 2013, I was chatting with a friend who works for the Seattle nonprofit Old Growth Northwest (which now hosts GRNW) about how cool it would be to do an event since there are so many LGBTQ romance writers in the region. Five months after that conversation, we launched the 2013 Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up on Sept. 14, 2013, which had over 120 attendees, including more than 30 writers!

It was a great day, and thanks to everyone who helped support us!

And now we preparing for our second event. We hope you will join us!

So what about you? Come share about yourselves, about your fave books, and what you're looking forward to in September. :D We'd love to hear, and we can't wait to meet you!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Tracy! I'm Rick in Olympia/Lacey. I've never been to one of these events but it sounds like alot of fun.
I am a fan of Josh Lanyon, Tamara Allen, Catt Ford, Sean Kennedy, also Haley Walsh to name a few and I do mean a few.
I have numerous favorite reads so far this year. Dash and Dingo, The Druid Stone and Shamrock Green to name a few I've read since January. Actually I've read quite a few more but my list would be so very long.
I love a good Historical Romance along with mysteries. I have also read some good contemporary ones.

So this event will be at the ??? Do you have any clue of some of the authors who will be coming?

message 3: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Rick wrote: "Hi Tracy! I'm Rick in Olympia/Lacey. I've never been to one of these events but it sounds like alot of fun.
I am a fan of Josh Lanyon, Tamara Allen, Catt Ford, Sean Kennedy, also Haley Walsh to ..."

Hi, Rick! Thanks for responding! Dash and Dingo is one of my favorites. I was wondering about Shamrock Green. I'll have to check that out!

We have a page here on GoodReads with a list of all the authors. You can check it out (and their books!) here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And also their full bios can be found on our Authors page on the website. :D Lots of great people to meet!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Shamrock Green was a slow simmer in the romance department. But on the other hand the characters were so well drawn that you could see them in your mind. Oh and the bathhouse scene.....whoa! lol
Oh Dash and Dingo...love it. I do hope Catt and Sean see fit to do a follow up or two. With the last line of the book being "Dash, ready for another adventure?" Come on they gotta !!!
Also give Scrap Metal a try. If you have not read Gaywyck or Vadriel Vail you really must!

I just found the author list. At times I can be a wee bit behind.

message 5: by ttg (last edited Apr 26, 2014 09:01PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Rick wrote: "Shamrock Green was a slow simmer in the romance department. But on the other hand the characters were so well drawn that you could see them in your mind. Oh and the bathhouse scene.....whoa! lol..."

Scrap Metal is a real winner! I have not read Gaywyck or Vadriel Vail yet. I'm sad that the latter is only available in paperback. :( I do love ebooks...

I also agree on the much-needed Dash and Dingo sequel! I saw Kennedy mention on his blog that they were planning one. Here's hoping!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you liked Scrap Metal as well! Oh Gaywyck and Vadriel Vail are both Gothic romances....i mean the typical old gothic everything. The author did a fantastic job with the prose, it all felt just right for the period. I own both and have read them numerous times. However I would love them on my Nook as well.

With publishers making the fonts smaller and smaller the older I get the more i like the epub editions. However there are still a few ebook publishers that the fonts are either waaaayyyyy too small or bump it up one and ya get three lines per page! lol Age is a real bitch!

Oh D&D definitely deserves to be a series. fingers crossed

message 7: by Charming (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) Hello. I don't live in the northwest, but my daughter is a student at Seattle University, so we have decided to attend this together this year (she is 19).

Looking at the attending author list, I've met Anne Tenino and Jordan Castillo Price before and am looking forward to meeting them again, as well as meeting many other authors I know online and/or whose work I like.

I'm also looking forward to meeting online friends who aren't authors - I just don't have a list of them to look at.

message 8: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Charming wrote: "Hello. I don't live in the northwest, but my daughter is a student at Seattle University, so we have decided to attend this together this year (she is 19).

Looking at the attending author list,..."

We're glad you both are planning on coming, Charming! We're looking forward to meeting you! :D

message 9: by Lamael (last edited Apr 29, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

Lamael Corsica (callencorsica) | 5 comments Howdy! I'm Callen and I live in the Spanaway/Tacoma area. I'm so looking forward to this. this would be my first conference of this sort! I have a quite a few authors I enjoy but my favorites are Derekica Snake, Amber Kell, A.J. Llewellyn, Bailey Bradford, Stormy Glenn and Mary Calmes (there are a few more but these are the ones I absolutely love) I am big on paranormal and shifters. I love series, and my favorite are a very long list. LOL

I am also working on my first manuscript, and hoping that the meet-up will help me to find more ways to make my writing better. (and I get to meet Amber Kell, Stormy Glenn, and Charlie Richards which is a definite plus for me. so yeah, I'm a total fan girl at 45! It's okay really..lol)

I'm really excited to see everyone and everything!(and of course to get a gazillion books!)

message 10: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Lamael wrote: "Howdy! I'm Callen and I live in the Spanaway/Tacoma area. I'm so looking forward to this. this would be my first conference of this sort! I have a quite a few authors I enjoy but my favorites are D..."

Great to meet you, Lamael!

Also, in case you didn't know, paranormal mystery writer Andrea Speed is having a reading at the Parkland/Spanaway Library this Sunday, May 4, at 2:00pm. Some of us are going. If you're interested, please come join! Andrea's a great reader and her stuff is excellent. (More info at: http://www.piercecountylibrary.org/fi...

message 11: by Lamael (new)

Lamael Corsica (callencorsica) | 5 comments Oh! I am planning on getting there also! I am hoping my daughter doesn't give birth(she is due..well...now lol) until after this Sunday lol I think I signed up for it on facebook!

message 12: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Lamael wrote: "Oh! I am planning on getting there also! I am hoping my daughter doesn't give birth(she is due..well...now lol) until after this Sunday lol I think I signed up for it on facebook!"

Oh, that's awesome! (And congrats to your daughter!)

message 13: by Lamael (new)

Lamael Corsica (callencorsica) | 5 comments Thank you very much! I wish I had found goodreads years ago. It is such an amazing place!

message 14: by Monika (new)

Monika Hey guys, I'm Monika I live in Langley BC. I attended last years meet-up it was great. I am registered for this years meet-up but at the moment I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, if all goes well I'll be there. :D

message 15: by Lou (new)

Lou Sylvre | 11 comments ttg wrote: "...we thought it would be fun to get to know each other prior to the big event!

Hi all! I'm Lou Sylvre, an author, and I'm thrilled to be part of GRNW Meet-up this year. Last year, a family emergency prevented me from showing up. I'm making offerings to the gods to keep that from happening again, because I really want to be there. I'm the author of the Vasquez and James series, with 4 novels and a novella out now and one more coming in May. They're romantic suspense (or maybe suspenseful romance) and my characters are responsible for any weirdness in the plots—they're very bossy. Also sexy, though. :) I live in Lacey, just outside of Olympia; my adult daughter, my cat Boudreau and her two cats, George and Nibbles, live with me. A few of you I'm happy to have met already, and I'm much looking forward to meeting many more!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

HOpe to meet you there Lou! I live in Lacey as well!

Felicia (Ferishia) (ferishia) | 33 comments Hi! My name is Felicia. I'm huge fan of LGBTQ romance books.

I started reading Superman/Batman slash fan-fiction back in 2008 and fell in love. Then I discovered Yaoi anime and manga (Japanese version of m/m romance) a little after that, which I collected like crazy (still do! :). I then found out about and went to several Yaoi-cons.

I bought my very first m/m books in 2009. Of the first few I bought back then, the one that stood out the most was The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks by Josh Lanyon and after that I was hooked. I have lots and LOTS of m/m eBooks that are housed on one of my Kindles.

I'm currently engrossed in a binge read of Sandrine Gasq-Dion's Assassain/Shifter series. I'm on #7 of a 20+ series.

I went to the GRNW Meet-Up last year and had a great time! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the 2014 GRNW Meet-Up.

message 18: by Morticia (new)

Morticia Knight (authormorticiaknight) | 33 comments Monika wrote: "Hey guys, I'm Monika I live in Langley BC. I attended last years meet-up it was great. I am registered for this years meet-up but at the moment I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, if all goes ..."

You must be there Monika! Missed you at the lunch last week ;-)

message 19: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (hiddenbyfaeries) | 3 comments Yo~ I'm Tori and I'm from Renton! I've been reading LGBTQP romance for 11 years now, and I've been writing for about half that time. I went to GRNW Meet-Up last year, my first con and it was a complete blast and I'm super excited to see ya'll bring to the tables this year.

I do have a pen name: Elyse Night and I've had a short story published and this June I'm gonna be published as part of LT3 Press Rocking Hard anthology Vol. 3, so super excited over that.

message 20: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Franks (lefranks) | 6 comments Hi All!

I'm LE Franks from SF Bay area, and I'll be one of the participating authors this year.

We have a dearth of these events on the west coast in general and CA in particular so I made a point of attending the inaugural GRNW last September and now I'm hooked. (And serious kudos to Tracy for pulling off such an excellent event!)

I write quirky contemporary gay romantic fiction published through Dreamspinner, WildeCity, and MLR Press - my latest released April 25th, and is set in Portland. Anne Tenino may, or may not want to admit to helping me scout locations for my book, but she's one of the amazing authors I spent time with last year, who has been incredibly generous with her time. (Any errors or inconsistencies are all
mine.)

If you are an aspiring writer or just a fan of the genre, I think you'll find this one of the most open and generous communities around - and I'm looking forward to spending more time with you.

LE

message 21: by Morticia (new)

Morticia Knight (authormorticiaknight) | 33 comments Hey all - Morticia Knight from Astoria Oregon, and I will be returning again as a participating author. It was an amazing event last year due to the hard work of Tracy. I met lots of great people, and I look forward to spending time with everyone again talking about LGBTQ romance.

I'm currently published through Totally Bound with two series and some short stories and several more things in the works. I'm very tired - lol. See ya in September (or June in Oregon *wink*)

message 22: by Annabeth (new)

Annabeth Albert (annabethalbert) | 44 comments I'm Annabeth Albert. I attended last year. I'm a huge reader of LGBT fiction and I write as well. And I *should* have some good publishing news I can share by then :)

I'll be taking the train up from Oregon on Friday. About 8-10 of us rode up together last year and it was FABULOUS fun. I hope we are able to do that again this year!

message 23: by Charley (new)

Charley Descoteaux | 5 comments I'm Charley Descoteaux, from Portland, Oregon. I couldn't swing it last year, but am looking forward to going this year. Hopefully I'll be able to connect with some of you on the train!

I write strange little contemporaries, and am working on a couple of even stranger paranormals. :) My queer characters have been in supporting roles since the 90s, and I'm so excited they get to take center stage now. Dreamspinner has published two of my novellas and two anthology shorts, and this August they'll release my first novel!

message 24: by Monika (new)

Monika Morticia wrote: You must be there Monika! Missed you at the lunch last week ;-) ..."

Sorry Morticia I'm not getting my GR notifications (shocker) LOL
I'll do my best to be there this year and I would have loved to have had lunch with you guys! ;)

message 25: by Morticia (new)

Morticia Knight (authormorticiaknight) | 33 comments Monika wrote: "Morticia wrote: You must be there Monika! Missed you at the lunch last week ;-) ..."

Sorry Morticia I'm not getting my GR notifications (shocker) LOL
I'll do my best to be there this year and I w..."

No worries - hope you can make it! ;-)

message 26: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Love (muse_neko) | 3 comments Greetings! I'm Pearl Love. I am published with Dreamspinner Press. My focus has been contemporary paranormal, though I've also done contemporary and historical. I am very much looking forward to meeting you all this September!

message 27: by Susinok (new)

Susinok Hey ya'll! I am Susan from Oklahoma (well I live here, I'm not FROM here...). I was looking at events this year and GRLNW seemed like a good excuse to visit Seattle. I'll be arriving a week early to explore Seattle and the surrounding National Parks and such.

I like travel, food, books, knitting, and photography. I'm not into shopping, so I'll be wandering around taking pictures and absorbing the atmosphere.

I found m/m long before it was called that with the Marion Zimmer Bradley Darkover series and other science fiction from the 70s which stretched the gender boundaries. On Goodreads you can find me hanging out in the Josh Lanyon group.

message 28: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments Hi everyone! I'm Barbie. I went to this last year and it was so much fun. Got my ticket today!! Happy to say I won't need a hotel room this year because we just moved to Capitol Hill/Seattle last month. Very exciting!!

Been reading M/M for a couple years now. Joined a meet-up in Portland last year. Had a little too much fun there! Can't wait for this years festivities!

message 29: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Barbie wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Barbie. I went to this last year and it was so much fun. Got my ticket today!! Happy to say I won't need a hotel room this year because we just moved to Capitol Hill/Seattle la..."

Barbie, you're in Seattle now?? That's awesome! You should swing by the next reader meeting on June 14th if you're free. It's at Gay City/Kaladi Brothers Cafe at 1pm. It would be fun to catch up! :D

message 30: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments I will definitely try to make it. That is about 2 blocks from where I live now! I LOVE LIVING HERE!!!

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Sara from Tacoma and beyond thrilled to be attending my first GRNW in Sept! I've never met anyone IRL to talk mm romance with, so I can't wait to meet everyone. My favorite authors include L.A. Witt, K.A. Mitchell, AJ Rose,.KJ Charles, and Jordan L. Hawk, but I'm most excited to finally meet Daisy Harris!

message 32: by Karis (new)

Karis Walsh | 1 comments Hey all! I'm Karis Walsh. I live in Texas now, but I'm excited to be returning to my native home in the PNW for the GRNW!

I write lesbian romances and read just about anything I can get my grubby little hands on. I love having the opportunity to connect with other authors and readers at events like the GRNW. I'm an animal lover, a very amateur musician (violin, viola, and guitar), and a horseback riding instructor. I love cooking with exotic spices, baking bread, and spending time with my partner and our furry menagerie.

My seventh book, Blindsided, is a romance about a guide dog trainer and a television reporter. It's set in Olympia and it will be released this August. Connect with me on Facebook or Twitter, or at my blog site: http://tinyurl.com/md37m5a.

I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends in September!
Karis.

message 33: by Dena (last edited Jun 25, 2014 12:41PM) (new)

Dena Hankins This meet-up is perfectly timed for me. My first book comes out at the beginning of September. It's a romance between a queer woman and a trans man, set in Seattle.

Blue Water Dreams by Dena Hankins

I live and write on my boat, currently in Boston, MA. I started the book in the SF Bay Area (I believe I was living in Oakland at the time), and worked on it in Hawaii, India, Virginia, Maryland, New York, and Connecticut. Along the way, I've had several lesbian and bisexual short stories published (and a couple more accepted for publication).

Can't wait to meet you all!
Dena
Dena Hankins

message 34: by drowningmermaid (new)

drowningmermaid | 1 comments Dena wrote: "This meet-up is perfectly timed for me. My first book comes out at the beginning of September. It's a romance between a queer woman and a trans man, set in Seattle.

[bookcover:Blue Water Dreams|2..."

Congrats, Dena! Who's the publisher?

message 35: by Dena (new)

Dena Hankins Bold Strokes Books is my publishing home, and Cindy Cresap is my editor. I'm proofing the galleys now. And yes, I become delirious with excitement just typing that. It's been a long time coming.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela Diel | 9 comments I am Angela, I am a reader. I am coming up from Portland. This will be my first GRNW meet-up. I got to meet a few of the authors at Portland Pride. Looking for person or people to meet up with and maybe room with. Never been to Seattle before and am feeling a bit intimidated.

message 37: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "I am Angela, I am a reader. I am coming up from Portland. This will be my first GRNW meet-up. I got to meet a few of the authors at Portland Pride. Looking for person or people to meet up with and ..."

Hello, Angela! We're glad you're interested in the event, and we'd love to have you here!

Events can be intimidating if you haven't been to one before--I can only describe GRNW as really "relaxed" for a romance conference. (We're very Seattle.) We try to have a welcoming and easy atmosphere (no need to dress up), while still promoting discussions with authors, publishers, and the reader community. :-)

Let us know if you have any questions about the event, and we'll be happy to answer. (And for others who attended last year, feel free to chime in with your experiences!) :D

message 38: by Angela (new)

Angela Diel | 9 comments ttg wrote: "Angela wrote: "I am Angela, I am a reader. I am coming up from Portland. This will be my first GRNW meet-up. I got to meet a few of the authors at Portland Pride. Looking for person or people to me..."

I'm just intimidated by not knowing the city really. The event sounds awesome. Thank you though.

message 39: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "ttg wrote: "Angela wrote: "I am Angela, I am a reader. I am coming up from Portland. This will be my first GRNW meet-up. I got to meet a few of the authors at Portland Pride. Looking for person or ..."

Oh, Seattle downtown is pretty easy, especially if you're coming from Amtrak. (The station is downtown and about 10 blocks from the Seattle Public Library where the conference is held.) A lot of the hotels and the con events are downtown, within walking distance of each other.

As we get closer, more people will probably be piping up, and we can try to arrange more meet-ups for everyone so it's not too difficult to find things. :)

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela Diel | 9 comments Thanks! I really can't wait.

message 41: by Annabeth (new)

Annabeth Albert (annabethalbert) | 44 comments Greetings to the new joiners! Getting excited about September!

message 42: by Paul (new)

Paul | 30 comments Hi everyone, I'm Paul and I'm a big fan of M/M Romance with too many favorite authors to list, but am excited that many of them are attending this year! I missed last year due to a work snafu, but have already let work know that this year I'll be unavailable! LOL Thank you Tracy for putting this together!!

message 43: by sk (new)

sk B (dolceluna) | 10 comments Hello All!!
I'm Selena, and I'm super excited about attending the Meet up this year. I was living abroad last year when it happened was so bummed I didn't get to go! (>_<)

I now live on the Eastside, and try to keep this MM Romance Digitally Available from KCLS list updated for those who have access to King County Libraries.

Gah!! I'm so excited to finally be able to talk to people, in person who are also into the books I read. I forced my book club to read Maurice Last month to help them understand my passion, oddly it backfired cause I ended up not really like the book XD.

My favorite MM Romance is The Administration series (which deserves more love IMHO)& I also read Japanese MM Romance novels (BL) and Yaoi manga.. :)

Looking forward to meeting new people!

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela Diel | 9 comments Hello Selena and Paul... So excited to meet everyone. I wish September would hurry up and get here! I have a feeling it's going to be a blast!

message 45: by E.E. (new)

E.E. Ottoman | 3 comments Hi everyone!
I am E.E. Ottoman and I will be attending GRNW as an author. Right now I publish with Dreamspinner Press and Less Than Three Press. I write m/m romance, lesbian/queer women romance and trans romance, but with my focus becoming increasingly on the last two.

I've never been to the West Coast so I'm looking forward to this trip!

message 46: by Elle (new)

Elle (bluedamsel32) | 1 comments Hi! I'm Ellen, from Detroit, MI, and I'm a reader and maybe someday blogger. My first con was GRL 2013 in Atlanta and I had a blast. I went to the UK Meet in Bristol in June and made some wonderful friends. So it's Seattle in Sept. and GRL in Chicago in October.

I love Seattle and hope to make some new friends. I'm a huge fan of the M/M genre!!

message 47: by OkayKim (last edited Aug 02, 2014 11:37PM) (new)

OkayKim (kmk29) | 2 comments I'm Kim and I live by the Chehalis/Centralia area.
This is a first time event for me and I'm a little intimidated traveling up North. Driving any where past Olympia makes me nervous. Lol
So looking forward to attending!
BTW, how's the parking at the library?

message 48: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Welcome to all our new attendees! We can't wait to see you in September! :D (It's going to be fun!)

message 49: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
OkayKim wrote: "I'm Kim and I live by the Chehalis/Centralia area.
This is a first time event for me and I'm a little intimidated traveling up North. Driving any where past Olympia makes me nervous. Lol
So looking..."

Welcome, Kim! We're so glad you'll be joining us in September!

For parking, there are lots of options downtown. The Central Library has a parking garage. On Saturdays, it's open from 8:45 - 7pm, and the cost for all day parking is $7.

The conference will end at the library at around 5pm, and we'll be migrating to the Hotel Monaco across the street. The Monaco has parking too, but it's more pricey, so if you want to move your car from the library before it closes at 7pm, there are other lots nearby, and also street parking. Street parking is free after 8pm on Friday and Saturday, and is free all day Sunday.

Parking at the Library: http://www.spl.org/locations/central-...

Library parking rates: http://www.spl.org/locations/central-...

For those who want to try street parking, here is info from SDOT: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation...

GRNW is held in the "Commercial Core - Financial" area of downtown, and the After Party is in Belltown, about 20 blocks down from the library. http://www.seattle.gov/transportation...

message 50: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (barbiek) | 33 comments Where is this "After Party" you speak of in Belltown?

« previous 1