Harry Potter discussion

FanFiction & Other Series > Fangirl- SIMON SNOW and Harry Potter Parallels!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adithi (new)

Adithi (adithir) | 8 comments Has anyone read FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell?
In this story, the main character Cath is obsessed with a book series titled the Simon Snow series.
It is incredibly similar to Harry Potter and it made the book very relatable, because I'm a diehard Potterhead :-)
What are your thoughts on this?

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey A girl at my school read that book, and it looks interesting,

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey .....so I'll definitely check it out!

message 4: by Sabreen (new)

Sabreen | 31 comments Simon Snow was definitely a metaphor for Harry Potter. I found it pretty funny (especially with the parallels between Drarry shipping and Simon/Baz shipping) but what was the point of all those random excerpts? Not that I minded. I just thought the fic was going to be symbolic and then it wasn't.

message 5: by Adithi (new)

Adithi (adithir) | 8 comments I actually thought the fic was going to be symbolic and it was in some scenes, but not all. It would be so cool if she actually wrote the Simon Snow books - they seem so interesting!

The one thing that threw me off in the books was this random mention of Harry Potter - I was pretty sure that Simon Snow was a metaphor for HP and that sudden mention of HP kind of confused me. But I thought it was so cool because I could relate to so many of the things that Cath did!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Parker | 1 comments I loved all the little parallels, like when Cath was watching the fourth Simon Snow movie and said everybody's hair was longer, just like in The Goblet of Fire, which is also the fourth HP movie!

message 7: by Adithi (new)

Adithi (adithir) | 8 comments I KNOW HAHA I NOTICED THAT TOO

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 71 comments Rowell would be sued if she wrote the books, though.

message 9: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn Adithi wrote: "Has anyone read FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell?
In this story, the main character Cath is obsessed with a book series titled the Simon Snow series.
It is incredibly similar to Harry Potter and it made t..."

Rowell wrote a fanfic about Harry and Draco that is very similar to Cath's fanfic. I don't really think she's trying to keep it a secret that Harry inspired the world. She's going to publish Carry On as its own novel later this year.

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 71 comments No she isn't.
People keep saying that but I've gone on her website and she says she won't.

message 11: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc wrote: "No she isn't.
People keep saying that but I've gone on her website and she says she won't."

She's not writing an eight book series like the Simon Snow stuff, but she is coming out with a book set in Simon Snow's world. It comes out in October.

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/12/10/...

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 71 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I'm not reading it! It's a Harry Potter ripoff!

message 13: by Tucks (new)

Tucks | 7 comments RIAlistic wrote: "I'm not reading it! It's a Harry Potter ripoff!"

I agree completely. Everyone's fangirling about a new book she's writing, an actual Simon Snow book, and it just pisses me off.

She'll just be making money off of Harry Potter (how the hell is that not grounds for suing?), just like Cassandra Clare. Ugh.

Yeah. She's not getting my money or attention on that one. I didn't like Fangirl as a book anyway, it wasn't about a fandom as much as just fanfiction.

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 71 comments Why do people keep saying that Simon is an HP metaphor? The word is parody!

Besides, we all know that you can't publish fan fiction. You can't get money through fan fiction. Well you can, if the author is long dead. But JKR is alive and well. She can sue. She might not but I don't think it's wise for RR to do this.