Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Turn of the Screw
This topic is about The Turn of the Screw
T > The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelle (last edited Jan 17, 2016 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chelle (chellerydz) | 90 comments I read this for week 8 - a classic book under 200 pages. 2 1/2 Stars. I liked the story, but I did struggle with the old fashioned language. I switched to the kindle so it was easier to look up word meanings. The ending was very abrupt. I was also hoping for some creepy or jumpy moments. I was invested in the story though. James did pull me in and I am left wanting more. I'm glad I finally did read this classic.

Pamela | 498 comments Me too- I must admit all these years I thought it was by someone else. Knowing its Henry James puts a different perspective on it!

Thanks for the kindle advice. I've been trying to figure out the next audio book I'm going to listen to and it seems I'll skip this and put myself on the library hold list! I'm reading a bookstop book that month so very excited for this short one- I hope I find it a little bit scary!

Chelle (chellerydz) | 90 comments Pamela wrote: "Me too- I must admit all these years I thought it was by someone else. Knowing its Henry James puts a different perspective on it!

Thanks for the kindle advice. I've been trying to figure out the ..."

The kindle version was free too! That was nice. I LOVE hat a lot of classics are free on amazon for the kindle.

Pamela | 498 comments Chelle wrote: "The kindle version was free too! That was nice. I LOVE hat a lot of classics are free on amazon for the kindle. .."

I just downloaded three more books.

I just got to the first scary sighting. Which I did not think much of. And then I went to bed.... I'm saving the rest of this to read tomorrow. I'm flying home with a long layover so it might be better to read in the bright modern world of airplanes and airports!

Pamela | 498 comments Done- the book was not as scary as thinking about it. But I can see a movie (or opera) coming from it that would be quite scary cause I think all the wordiness got in the way. That lady thinks alot!

Jody (jodybell) | 3764 comments I've seen the opera of this (by Benjamin Britten), but have never read the book. The particular performance that I saw was very atmospheric and creepy - and the music was very jarring & modern - there aren't any arias that you could sing along to, that's for sure. It was brilliant though! It translated very well.

Pamela | 498 comments Jody wrote: "I've seen the opera of this (by Benjamin Britten), but have never read the book. The particular performance that I saw was very atmospheric and creepy - and the music was very jarring & modern - th..."

I've put a version of it on my netflix list!

Jody (jodybell) | 3764 comments It wasn't something that was ever on my radar, but my friend's twin sister is something like the director of the Zürich Opera House and we got tickets to the opening. I loved it, very much. I hadn't even put two and two together until recently that it was based on the book!

Kirsten #EnoughIsEnough (kmcripn) Challenge: A classic book with less than 200 pages

Date Finished Reading: May 23rd

I have a wonderful Audible copy of this narrated by Emma Thompson. Still, Henry James is hard to deal with. The first time I read this, I didn't really appreciate what was really going on.

As a side note, the romantic suspense novel Maybe This Time is a modern day retelling of the story.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1896 comments I read this for my 2017 Topic Discard Challenge, a book you have hesitated to read. I'm always a little hesitant with classics, just because their pacing is a bit slower. This book was okay; not anything special for me, but not horrendous either.

3/5

Matthias Stephan | 196 comments I read this for 41, 'A book with an unreliable narrator'. It is a classic text, which I read most every year.

Angela | 435 comments I read this for 2018's Week 44 - a ghost story. I loved it, and found it very atmospheric and eerie.

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 616 comments My favorite ghost story ever.