Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

The Eyes!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gwyn I am I pretty forgiving person with movie and I loved the Harry Potter movies, but there I was one thing that really bugged me. The eyes. Am I the only one bothered by this? I mean thought out the whole series, movie and book, everyone from Harry's past mentions how he has his mother's green eyes. I now that Daniel Radcliffe has blue eyes and everything but don't you think that they could have use color contacts for his mom's eyes? Did Lily's brown eyes bother you or did you not care?

Kristen I didn't care much actually. But technically, does the book specifically say that her eyes were green? Or does it just say that Harry had his mother's eyes? I don't remember.

message 3: by sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

sim They actually did try contacts but Dan had some 'extreme reactions' to them apparently so it's not really their fault :/

Shubham It did bother initially but as the films went on, we got occupied with other things!

Anna Gwyn, it did bug me that Lily's eyes didn't match Harry's. If Daniel Radcliffe couldn't wear contacts, that's fine. It happens. But it would have been nicer for continuity purposes if they had the actress playing Lily wear contacts, just so they would match. It's a running motif throughout the series that Harry has his mother's green eyes.

It's not a big thing, but it's the details that can bug a person.

Babafaba Yeah, and Voldemort didn't have red eyes!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Eliza wrote: "Gwyn, it did bug me that Lily's eyes didn't match Harry's. If Daniel Radcliffe couldn't wear contacts, that's fine. It happens. But it would have been nicer for continuity purposes if they had the ..."

I agree. It almost seemed like they were doing it on purpose to bug people by picking an actress to play Lily who had eyes totally different to Daniel Radcliffe's. I can understand them both not having almond-shaped green eyes like is very specifically stated in the books, and I can understand them not being able to wear contact lenses. In the case of a minor character, though, would it have been so hard to just pick someone else? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the person (people - there is old Lily and young Lily)who plays Lily, I just think seeing as they bothered to mention the eye thing all throughout the movie series as well as the books they would have tried harder to make it make sense.
But this is just an opinion, I know nothing about making movies, so can't really fault the people who do.

Gwyn Eliza wrote: "Gwyn, it did bug me that Lily's eyes didn't match Harry's. If Daniel Radcliffe couldn't wear contacts, that's fine. It happens. But it would have been nicer for continuity purposes if they had the ..."

I believe what I said was kind of confusing, I'm fine with Daniel's eyes but the actress who played Lily who most likely could have wore contacts.

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall I was somewhat vexed. Right, that was an understatement. As soon as I learned it I was irate... Harry is told once at least every book he has his mother's eyes and yet Lily does not have the same color.
I doubt it would have made a huge hullabaloo if they did include it, but besides what's done is done.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It is kind of silly but it doesn't really bother me. I'm too busy obsessively rereading the books to watch the movies anyway.

Rachel Paige  Hamlin Kristen wrote: "I didn't care much actually. But technically, does the book specifically say that her eyes were green? Or does it just say that Harry had his mother's eyes? I don't remember."

Yeah, it says quite a few times. Mrs. Weasley mentions them when she gives Harry his green dressrobes stating she thought they'd bring out his eyes, Ginny's singing valentine to Harry does "eyes as green as a pickled toad."
I know there's more, but thats all I can think of right now.

Rachel Paige  Hamlin It doesn't bother me too much. They did try the contacts, so at that point what were they going to do, fire him and find a new Harry? Just because his eyes weren't the right color?
They probably could have found someone with blue eyes to play Lily, but they got so many other things just perfect that I didn't care.

Abhishek Anad Dummkopf wrote: "It is kind of silly but it doesn't really bother me. I'm too busy obsessively rereading the books to watch the movies anyway."

me too

message 14: by David W. (new)

David W. The real problem is that Harry never really had *Lily's* eyes, be it green or blue, it just didn't match between the two of them. And the girl who played pre-teen Lily had brown eyes. i mean, make up your mind, folks!

I would've been fine if Harry and Lily both had blue or brown eyes (as long as mother and son matched, AUGH), For people like Snape (and James) who loved Lily they'd surely see the uniqueness in the particular bluish hue, even though blue is a common enough eye color for caucasian people.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

There was a joke about this on a website. It had a picture of Snape with a caring expression saying, "Harry, you have your mother's eyes." Then it should a comparison of the two COMPLETELY different eyes. Then it showed Snape leaning against a window dramatically. He was shouting, "My life is a lie!" It was hilarious!!!

Dramapuppy It didn't really bother me. It did before I actually watched the first movie but once I started, I didn't really care. I mean, it's eye color.

message 17: by David W. (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:07AM) (new)

David W. @kmaefantasy I think I know that picture of Snape. Was he leaning with his back against the boathouse window? It was a promo pic for DH. And yeah, the meme-text fits it just fine. :D

@Dramapuppy
But it's a mother-son hereditary eye color with considerable plot importance!

message 18: by Dramapuppy (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dramapuppy David wrote: "@kmaefantasy I think I know that picture of Snape. Was he leaning with his back against the boathouse window? It was a promo pic for DH. And yeah, the meme-text fits it just fine. :D

@Dramapuppy
..."

That's what I thought too, at first. But in the end, what's the real plot importance?

message 19: by David W. (last edited Jun 30, 2014 09:47AM) (new)

David W. This is tenuous now that I think of it, but multiple people had mentioned that Harry had his mother's eyes, as they had in the books, and a large part of Snape's caring/love/obsession still hinges on the eyes. Daniel Ratcliffe's eyes disagrees with colored contact lenses, that's entirely not his fault, but for God's sake let Geraldine Sommerville's eyes match his then! And the same goes with the girl who plays pre-teen Lily.

This is a technical pet peeve of mine, second only perhaps to movie glasses having flat lenses or no lenses. I'm very near-sighted — 300 degrees when I was seven years old and now I'm 1,100 — and I notice stuff like that.

Dramapuppy David wrote: "This is tenuous now I think of it, but multiple people had mentioned that Harry had his mother's eyes, as they had in the books, and a large part of Snape's caring/love/obsession still hinges on th..."

Maybe. I had forgotten that. But this is one change I don't really mind. It's better if Snape recognizes Lily's personality in Harry.

message 21: by David W. (last edited Jun 30, 2014 09:49AM) (new)

David W. Yeah, but poor Alan Rickman was made to literally spell out the fact with his character's dying breath...

(ETA a second paragraph in my post above)

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2014 09:53AM) (new)

David wrote: "@kmarfantasy I think I know that picture of Snape. Was he leaning with his back against the boathouse window? It was a promo pic for DH. And yeah, the meme-text fits it just fine. :D

@Dramapuppy
..."

kmaEfantasy. KMAEFANTASY!! Easy mistake. Its alright.
I think he was leaning against the boathouse window. No sure. :-/ But it was laugh out loud funny. XD

Dramapuppy David wrote: "Yeah, but poor Alan Rickman was made to literally spell out the fact with his character's dying breath...

(ETA a second paragraph in my post above)"

I didn't mind it. He pulled it off. And I'd rather have that than "You have one trait sort of similar to your mom." This was more meaningful.

message 24: by David W. (new)

David W. Once again, the great Alan Rickman dd it with a crappy script (but I still can't get over with the scripts, damnit), just like the way he delivered the Snape-In-Whomping-Willow scenes in PoA. Am I in the extreme minority for believing that they f*&king *butchered* the book with their script and castrated the spirit of the book by leaving out 97% of the Snape vs. Marauders backstory?

message 25: by David W. (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

David W. Once again, the great Alan Rickman did it despite a crappy script (but I still can't get over the scripts, damnit), just like the way he delivered the Snape-In-Whomping-Willow scenes in PoA. Am I in the extreme minority for believing that they f*&king *butchered* the book with their script and castrated the spirit of the book by leaving out 97% of the Snape vs. Marauders backstory?

message 26: by David W. (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:14AM) (new)

David W. ETA Fixed the misspelling! -_-# I do implore the folks who had quoted me (except that post that informed me of the mistake, of course) to do the same.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

David wrote: "ETA Fixed the misspelling! -_-#"

Thank you. I don't know why but everyone spells it werid at least once. This one dude called me "kmanfantasy"! Another said "kmaerfantasy". WHERE ARE THESE NAMES COMING FROM! >=-0

message 28: by David W. (new)

David W. I know "Mae" is a form of "May", so I memorised you to be "K. Mae Fantasy", but as you know E and R are neighbors on the keyboard...

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:16AM) (new)

Good point. Mae is my middle name after my grandmother. K is my first initial. I wanted to make it sound cool and rhyme-y. ;-)
P.S. I like your panda profile picture. Cute little guy!!

Dramapuppy David wrote: "Once again, the great Alan Rickman did it despite a crappy script (but I still can't get over the scripts, damnit), just like the way he delivered the Snape-In-Whomping-Willow scenes in PoA. Am I i..."

No, you're not alone. I just didn't mind the eyes specifically.

message 31: by David W. (new)

David W. @kmaefantasy Thank you! : ) You can go check out my photos, the panda is actually a gif and I linked back to the tumblr page where I first found it.

I know another person who combined initials and a family name into her users name on a certain site, so after that I was a bit more thoughtful about that.

Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} It drove me crazy but I understood. Daniel Radcliffe would have had to wear contacts for eight movies!!!! Each one takes months if not more than a year to make. That would have been a lot of contacts. The woman who played his mother had brown eyes so the contacts wouldn't have been affective. So yes, it bothered me but I learned to deal.

message 33: by David W. (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

David W. @Dramapuppy That's great, I thought the movies' narrative quality plunged after PoA came out, and never picked up afterwards.

(gotta catch some sleep, I'm in a different time zone and it's 1:30 AM now!)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Those are awesome pictures!!! I liked the one with the codes all mixed together. Awesome. ;-)

message 35: by David W. (new)

David W. That's from The Matrix, the computer codes that the evil AI uses to create the false, virtual-reality world that enslaves mankind.

(Good night for now.)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Good night. Its only like 11:32 am here. :-) Sweet dreams.

MakayK Truthfully, the fact that his eyes were green in the book and blue in the movie did bother me because of the amount of importance they contributed to the book series, so..... I still love the movies though, and he did try contacts. They just didnt work out for him, so ya gotta give Dan some credit for that :)

message 38: by David W. (new)

David W. But is it really true that brown eyed people can't have blue/green contacts? If not than it's a sloppy bit of filmmaking. In my country at least (and I'd be surprised if it never had been a thing in Japan before) there're decorative contacts for sale to teenagers who want to look a bit "exotic".

Keren Dror I am also annoyed that Harry Potter didn't have the same eyes that the people in the book were going crazy over.

message 40: by David W. (new)

David W. It just had to be the same as Lily's, it didn't even have to be emarald green, just enough for people like Snape to notice.