Goddess discussion

He, HeShe or It?!?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeri (new)

Jeri Studebaker | 19 comments Mod
I've been hearing that in many Pagan groups now it's verboten to mention female deity. Un-politically-correct. Deity is either a male/female mix, or sexless.

What's your take on this? Why are the women in these groups going along with this?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 8 comments Jeri wrote: "I've been hearing that in many Pagan groups now it's verboten to mention female deity. Un-politically-correct. Deity is either a male/female mix, or sexless.

What's your take on this? Why are..."

When I joined the Pagan path, it was not
allowed to mention a God. Really, there are Gods & Goddesses.
If you worship a Goddess,that's okay.A God, the same.
If you worship both sexes, that's great. Each to their
own. Just don't put restrictions on others. In all mythologies, there are male & female Deities.

Blessings,
Reverend Donna M. Swindells
Fellowship of Isis
Lyceum of Dionysus, Ariadne & Aphrodite
Iseum of Hathor, Lady of the West

message 3: by Jeri (new)

Donna, I agree! Putting restrictions on other Pagans is so unPagan-like. It's more like people who follow the Abrahamaic religions; they restrict everyone totally to their tight and narrow views of things.

On the other hand, there's a fight currently in the Florida Pagan community over a book that pushes the idea of adults initiating young Pagans by having a sexual encounter with them.

So that clouds the picture somewhat, in my mind at least. I feel uncomfortable with that. Not sure I want to call myself "Pagan" if even some Pagans push adult sex onto children!

Nothing's ever simple, it seems.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 8 comments Greetings,
Adults having sex with young adults as a form of
initiation is a perversion. That doesn't have anything to do with being a Pagan.
Being a Pagan is being free from Patriarchy of the Church fathers. We are trying to reclaim our past traditions & mysteries.
The Pagans followed their laws of society. So should we. We all have to find a community who believe in the rights of all, or be solitary. Either way, we can follow what our hearts & souls long for, union with the Divine.
Blessings,

message 5: by Jeri (new)

The fight in the Florida community is over whether to let these authors speak at a big Florida Pagan gathering. The book was written in the sixties or seventies, when "Pagan" seemed to mean (to some people) "do anything you want."

To me the idea of using a sexual encounter to initiate people of any age into anything is pure Patriarchal fantasy "come true." A "power-over" kind of thing.

message 6: by Donna (last edited Apr 27, 2014 11:16AM) (new)

Donna | 8 comments Greetings,
I agree. Having an author speak about "anything goes, do what you want" isn't the type of speaker a Pagan community would have in a gathering.
Being a Pagan isn't about sex.
It is about the freedom to worship the Gods & Goddesses, without persecution. Talking about the Gods & Goddesses of the many cultures, Greek & Roman, Celtic, Norse, etc. would be a better topic. Or the Wheel of the year & its festivals (Sabbats).

Blessings,
Fellowship of Isis