Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
L > Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Breanne (last edited Jan 20, 2016 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Breanne (breannerae) | 68 comments Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I read this for week 1: A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't. I wanted to read this over Christmas while I was home with my family. I thought their presence would really boost the nostalgic, homey, loveliness of the book for me. Plus, I'd have lots of ready hugs for when it made me cry!

Instead I had to read it alone, in the city, ugly crying, hugging my pillow. I still enjoyed it! I wish I had read it as a little girl; I know I would have double loved it back then.

Rachel A. (AbyssalLibrarian) | 2039 comments This is by far one of my favourite books (and movies). I read a short version based off the movie so often as a kid, and I must have read the full version at least 3 times in the past 5 or 6 years.

Breanne (breannerae) | 68 comments Rachel wrote: "This is by far one of my favourite books (and movies). I read a short version based off the movie so often as a kid, and I must have read the full version at least 3 times in the past 5 or 6 years."

It was really wonderful! I kind of feel like this book is a little literary surrogate mother, reminding me to not be too hard on myself when I mess up, to follow my own path, to love, to have fun, to keep my family and friends close.

message 4: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3532 comments I read it in December, but I think it's a cut version, so I plan to read the uncut this year.

I enjoyed it, especially Jo, and was surprised the old setting continued to work well with me.

Manda (BookWenchManda) | 1883 comments I am starting this one today for week 9 (mentioned in another book). I actually read this book when I was a young girl. It even sparked my interest in the American Girl books of the mid-late 90s. I am ready to read this again as an adult. I may even rewatch the movie afterwards :)

Manda (BookWenchManda) | 1883 comments The problem I personally have with rereading childhood favorites is that I very rarely find that they hold the special magic for me that they did when I was a child. Unfortunately, Little Women was one of those books. I still enjoyed it, but it was a very different experience and not as joyful as it had been years ago.

3/5

Jody (jodybell) | 3672 comments Following the lives of four sisters on a journey out of adolescence, Louisa May Alcott's Little Women explores the difficulties associated with gender roles in a Post-Civil War America.

I'm re-reading this for 2017, Week 23 (A book from the BBC's "The Big Read" list). I didn't remember much about it, except for, you know ... the thing. I'm really enjoying it, despite it's hokeyness and the religion.

Kathy | 1277 comments I read Little Women for week 30, a book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books. While I enjoyed it, I really think I'd have enjoyed it as a young girl. I wasn't much of a reader then, so I never got to it.

There's a bit too much moralizing but I liked reading this simpler style from the 1800s. I've visited Concord and can picture Alcott writing in her house. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Jody (jodybell) | 3672 comments I quite enjoyed the first book, but detested the second - I found it incredibly dull, and the moralising got way too much for me.

message 10: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3532 comments Same for me Jody, I rated them separately as both are on GR (I think it was 4 stars for the 1st and 2 stars for the 2nd). The moral side was heavy on the 2nd and all the "be a good wife" was terrible.

message 11: by Jody (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3672 comments I would probably rate them the same, Zaz, and I think I will go and split them up like that. Overall I rated it two stars overall, as the second half really killed it for me.

Rachel A. (AbyssalLibrarian) | 2039 comments I actually don't remember much moralizing in it, other than a few mentions of A Pilgrim's Progress. The "good wife" stuff was fine to me because it fit the context of the time in which it was set.

Carolyn  (Miss Lemon)  (MissLemon) | 261 comments I'm trying to read this for the YA Top 100 book. It's a long time since I was a YA but I do remember attempting to read it then, and failing. I'm really struggling again but I don't want to quit again.
I'm in the UK - is this a book that's more popular in the US or are there any UK readers who love it? Or at least like it?
I'm at Chapter 9 - give up or stick with it? Would one of the characters - probably 'Marmee' - be giving me a lecture about perseverance right now? I hear another voice in my head saying 'life's too short (and your TBR file too tall ) to waste on reading a book you dislike'
Advice please ( and sorry to those who really love it)

message 14: by Jody (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3672 comments I'm Australian, and definitely have more British than American leanings. IMO, it doesn't get any better, and actually gets much worse in the second half, so if you're not absolutely insistent on marking this one off as read, I'd give up now. The more time that passes from my re-read, the more I dislike it. It's like the book version of a Hallmark card.

message 15: by Perri (new)

Perri | 481 comments I"m American and loved it but no apologies for not liking it needed. Listen to the second voice in your head-life's too short!

message 16: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 921 comments I'm reading this for #13 a book recommended by one of your favorite authors. It has taken me quite awhile to get through. At first it was really hard to get into but as the lives progressed of the girls I became more invested in the story. I have never read it before. I only have a couple of chapters left. It will probably be a 3 star rating for me. The characters are developed well and I do like them. The beginning was definitely slow. I'm glad I read it and can check it off of my list. I'm not sure if I would ever revisit it again.

Anastasia (AnastasiaHarris) | 1223 comments I listened to this for the Gilmore Challenge.
The girls play at the beginning was beautiful. That it was obviously a tradition was very touching as were the friendships that the girls developed with those in their community.
It did become overly preachy for me though.
I wonder what the family would be like now. Or at least the story without the heavily moralizing.

message 18: by Katie, Heliocentric Mod (new) - added it

Katie | 2052 comments Mod
I'm worried to read this. I've tried to read it twice & have given up. I don't know if I even made it to book two, but I thought every chapter was way too didactic & moralistic, so I gave up on it. I want to read it at some point, and by want I mean, I really don't want to, but I feel like I should, but after reading all of your comments, I feel like it's just going to be painful all the way through.

Anastasia (AnastasiaHarris) | 1223 comments Katie wrote: "I'm worried to read this. I've tried to read it twice & have given up. I don't know if I even made it to book two, but I thought every chapter was way too didactic & moralistic, so I gave up on it...."

There are so many good books out there do not waste your time on one you dislike. It was the best piece of advice I every received.

message 20: by Jody (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jody (jodybell) | 3672 comments It actually gets more preachy in the second book/half. I wouldn’t be rushing to read it if I were you, Katie.

Ashley Moore | 266 comments This was okay, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I read it when I was younger. Instead I found this a younger version of a cross of Gone with the Wind and Pride and Prejudice.