A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) A Court of Thorns and Roses discussion

Characters like Rhysand?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Flo -MyBooks- (last edited Jan 27, 2016 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flo -MyBooks- I know what I'm asking it may not be possible, is just that since I read ACOTAR and all about Rhys, I can't seem to find a character so well written and addictive as him. So, I'm wondering... what character give you that impression? A character so addictive, sassy and that seems to have "the bad boy" vibe going on in the history, when, of course, it is much more than that?
Or it doesn't necessary have to be "the bad boy vibe", just characters with so much sassiness, lol.

Echo  Oh geez, I like this thread already.

Um, let's see...this is really hard for me to find.

You might like Magnus from Falling Kingdoms. He's terrible in the first book, and then the reader grows to like him.

Feli Collante ¿Tough guys who are more in the background? Almost every YA you can find.

Izzy I agree with you, Flo. Characters like Rhysand don't really fit in the mundane "bad boy" category because they're simply so much more than that.

If I'm being honest, other than Rhysand and Valek in 'Poison Study', I've not encountered any other similar characters within the Young Adult market. I've found lots of similar characters in adult books, particularly in adult urban fantasy and adult paranormal romance.

For instance, Eric Northman from the Sookie Stackhouse series was once my staple favourite but my love for the series was destroyed. He was a fantastic character who was written as powerful, sexy and was often amusing.

I could give you some recommendation but unfortunately you've set your profile to private so I can't see what you've read or what would interest you. If you like, you can either have a look at my lists or give me specific details on what you would like to read, such as genre and any personal preferences, and I can give you a list of the books you could check out.

Sorry for the length of my comment. I like to waffle. ^^;

message 5: by WinterRose (last edited Jan 18, 2016 12:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

WinterRose Enzo from The Young Elites isn't sassy, but he's a very morally gray character--actually many of the characters in that book are. :) But Enzo is very powerful, very calculating, and an excellent fighter and leader.

message 6: by Aniketa (last edited Jan 18, 2016 04:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aniketa You can find a Rhysand-like character in every second adult PNR/UF book.
In YA PNR I can think of Daemon in Obsidian
Kaz in Six of Crows
Dank in Existence
And Travis in Beautiful Disaster -> this is not PNR.

Flo -MyBooks- Farah wrote: "I don't know if you have already read this series before but I get the Rhysand vibe from Warner in the Shatter me series. He is that whole bad boy but with a deeper development character."
I already read him, but thanks anyway!

Flo -MyBooks- CatcherR wrote: "Oh geez, I like this thread already.

Um, let's see...this is really hard for me to find.

You might like Magnus from Falling Kingdoms. He's terrible in the first book, and then the reader grows ..."

OMG. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Because you recommended him I've read the Falling Kingdoms series and now I'm obsessed with it and with my dear Magnus!

Flo -MyBooks- WinterRose wrote: "Enzo from The Young Elites isn't sassy, but he's a very morally gray character--actually many of the characters in that book are. :) But Enzo is very powerful, very calculating, and an excellent fi..."

I haven't read TYE yet.. but I will. Thanks for the recommendation!

Flo -MyBooks- Aniketa wrote: "You can find a Rhysand-like character in every second adult PNR/UF book.
Kaz in Six of Crows
Dank in [book:Existence|132..."

I've read all of them but Kaz.. just starting to.. thanks for the recommendation!

Flo -MyBooks- Izzy wrote: "I agree with you, Flo. Characters like Rhysand don't really fit in the mundane "bad boy" category because they're simply so much more than that.

If I'm being honest, other than Rhysand and Valek ..."

I haven't read Poison Study yet, but everyone seems to like it, so definitely I'm going to read it in the future.. about Eric, I just read the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series and I didn't find it that good, but I'm going to give it a chance to the others books tho...

Well, I truly like fantasy and dystopian books, also some contemporary but right now I'm kinda sick of all the NA stuff going around, all are practically the same to me, so not reading those book that much...

Hum, well, I truly like Warner from the Shatter Me series, Rhysand (obviously, lol), The Darkling, Magnus Damora, Sebastian Verlac, you know all about that "bad boy vibe" going around... and then Daemon Black but he's not truly a bad boy. So I think I'm looking for characters full of sassiness, lol.

Diana Gonher Bien, bien.... he leído que ya te recomendaron a Valek de Poison Study y esto esta bien, sin embargo a mi me ha encanto el primer libro, los demás no tanto.... sobre The Young Elite, Enzo me gusto y mucho, deberías darle un oportunidad. Pero yo te recomendaré a otros.... podrías leer El gremio de los magos.... hay un personaje El Gran Lord... es como Rhys, te dará sorpresas, no es lo que parece y es muy muy interesante.
Otro que te recomiendo es Red Queen esta es algo más simple pero sus personajes tanto Cal y Maven, los príncipes te darán un sorpresa, sobre todo Maven (yo soy más de Cal). Igual si quieres algo como La Caída de los reinos, puedes leer El nombre del viento. No es la misma historia, para NADA, deberías darle una oportunidad, Kvothe te gustará.

message 13: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Flo -MyBooks- wrote: "Izzy wrote: "I agree with you, Flo. Characters like Rhysand don't really fit in the mundane "bad boy" category because they're simply so much more than that.

If I'm being honest, other than Rhysa..."

I no longer recommend the Sookie Stackhouse series due to a few reasons. I'm not saying you should/shouldn't continue reading but I was just using the character of Eric Northman as an example of my favourite alpha bad boy.

The recommendations below are in no particular order.

Adult urban fantasy
1. Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews. The cover suggests it's paranormal romance but it's urban fantasy. Alternatively, you've also got the Kate Daniel's series, Magic Bites, by the same authors.
I don't know why but I think Burn for Me might be a good starting point for you. The world building in the Kate Daniel's series is hard to understand at first because, personally, it isn't explained or handled well in the first book as it was their début novel.

2. Angels' Blood, Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh. Raphael is a slightly darker bad boy - he's not abusive but he has serious power, and everybody knows it.

Books that are already on your to-read list but come under bad boys/alpha males theme: Faefever series, Assassin's Curse and The Forbidden Game trilogy.
I've heard Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead is good and apparently has a bad boy in it.

- I honestly don't think you'll like this one so feel free to disregard this recommendation but my personal favourite at the moment is the H&W Investigations series by Jess Haines. I have a weakness for suave vampires so naturally I'm liking Alec Royce.
- And if you wanted to try a slightly different genre, you could look at the In Death series by J.D Robb. They're adult romantic suspense and futuristic crime novels.

I hope this helped!

message 14: by Aniketa (last edited Jan 27, 2016 12:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aniketa -You could also try The Winter King

-Lothaire from the Immortals after dark series is definitely a shady character, one of shadiest I can think of actually. But this is adult PNR even if the steamy scenes are not so many.

- Damien Serlast from Troubled Waters

message 15: by WinterRose (last edited Jan 28, 2016 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

WinterRose Yes I second Raphael from Angels' Kiss. :D

Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series IS really great. But I wouldn't really say there's a bad boy. At least not by the standard's we're talking about.

Natalia Morpheus from the Splintered trilogy. He is an anti-hero and just brims with sassiness.

Chisom I would say The Darkling from the Shadow and Bone trilogy... You know, a character you love to hate to love right? But it doesn't end well...

Eimear Not from a book, but I think Rhysand is almost identical to Damon from The Vampire Diaries.

They even have the same physical description and I instantly pictured Rhys as Ian Somerhalder.

I wouldn't compare him to Kaz or Valek, as I think the both of them have more reserved personalities and aren't as dark, confident and mischievous as Rhysand.

Funnily enough I did pictured Ian Somerhalder as both The Darkling from Grisha and Warner from Shatter Me, so I'd have to agree with those who put those characters forward. Our minds seem to be in sync!

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict Id say Warner and Magnus but they were already mentions. But no one's mentioned Roth from Jennifer L. Armentrout's White Hot Kiss series. Dont let the cover fool you though. Roth is a demon that definitely has a bad boy vibe AND so much sass. He is oozing with sass. Trust me. I think besides Warner, Roth is the character that reminds me most of Rhysand.

Emerald  Tylen I feel like even though she had love and all with Tam I think that she will go to Rhys. Although I hope not.

Nagita I have the perfect character for you. Lucifer Morningstar from the Fox tv show Lucifer. Almost indistinguishable from Rhys. He looks perfect - like Tom Ellis seriously needs to play Rhys in the movies. And the attitude and sass is so similar. I think you'd like him.

message 22: by Katherine (last edited Jun 09, 2016 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katherine These are both books by Leigh Bardugo, but I will say that the Darkling from the Grisha Trilogy and Kaz from Six of Crows are both pretty dark (pun not intended). They aren't as great as Rhysand, but it's just a few of them in the world of books. I'll see if I can find more.

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Heath I'd say Will Herondale from the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Claire. You might have already read that though. He is sassy and mean for a reason.

message 24: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna P Flo -MyBooks- wrote: "I know what I'm asking it may not be possible, is just that since I read ACOTAR and all about Rhys, I can't seem to find a character so well written and addictive as him. So, I'm i love kaz brekker from six of crows by leigh bardugo just as much as rhysand i highly recommend it :)

Aracely Flo -MyBooks- wrote: "I know what I'm asking it may not be possible, is just that since I read ACOTAR and all about Rhys, I can't seem to find a character so well written and addictive as him. So, I'm wondering... what ..."

Rhapsodic from The Bargainer Trilogy by Laura Thalassa reminds me so much of Rhys.

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina Kaiden from Sweet Evil series

Fanni Horvath Aaron Warner ( Shatter me by Tahereah Mafi )

Andreana Gerfers Dez from The Bargainer Series by Laura Thalassa. Total bad boy, fae, funny, addictive...so so so good!!!

Kamya Rhysand sometimes reminded me of Daemon Black from lux series

ChloesReading to be honest Sarah J Maas has actually written my two favourite characters of all time Rhys and Rowan. I am a massive Rowan fan and love him so much but in TOG (which I read after ACOTAR) until Heir of Fire I struggled to really connect or love any of the male characters. I don't know if this is because I just didn't connect with the characters or what but at the end of the day I still don't like Chaol and Dorian has grown on me. So I think this question really depends on the person you're asking and if they get really emotionally connected to characters or not.

message 31: by Vish (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vish WinterRose wrote: "Yes I second Raphael from Angels' Kiss. :D

Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series IS really great. But I wouldn't really say there's a bad boy. At least not by the standard's we're talking about."

OMG yes....was about to say the same thing.....ADRIAN.....he plays bad boy/misunderstood in vampire academy series and then plays the main lead/protagonist in spin off bloodline series. (6 books each though)

message 32: by Vish (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vish Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict wrote: "Id say Warner and Magnus but they were already mentions. But no one's mentioned Roth from Jennifer L. Armentrout's White Hot Kiss series. Dont let the cover fool you though. Roth is a demon that de..."

yes...that entire series has such misleading cover....i didnt read that series for years thinking it was just another romance series even though i love jenn's works. one day i randomly decided to give it a go n did not regret at all.....its not just another stupid romance at all!

Agnes He might already have been mentioned, buuut Tamlin from Immortals after dark( Book number 2, A Hunger Like No Other). Tamlin is a bit more raw i would say, in an animal kinda way. Buut i would say Rhysand reminds of him a bit ;D

firebreathingbq Well.. for me it's either Rhysand or Rowan TOG (-/////-)
these two changed everything

Lamisa Newaz I've just finished reading ACOMAF and I can't get over the fact that how beautifully Rhysand was written, he basically ruined every other male character for me. He set the bar way too high and every time I attempt to like a male lead I start comparing him to Rhys because oh well I'm obsessed literally and others are just not simply good enough :)

Iomara Bones of Jenane Frost

Celestia Flo -MyBooks- wrote: "I know what I'm asking it may not be possible, is just that since I read ACOTAR and all about Rhys, I can't seem to find a character so well written and addictive as him. So, I'm wondering... what ..."

Alex Fierro, from Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard!

Amanda To all of the people saying, "You can find a character like Rhys in every YA book out there!" I would like to know if I have been reading different books then the rest of you lol. Never in my entire reading career have I ever been so in love with a character like Rhys. I believe he's one of a kind. He's so complex and just absolutely beautiful and quite literally otherworldly, nobody could compare in my eyes.

Sanaa Bookwala Warner and Rhys are so similar in so many ways. Will herondale too andddddddd Aldrik from Air Awakens

Morgan Aniketa wrote: "You can find a Rhysand-like character in every second adult PNR/UF book.
Kaz in Six of Crows
Dank in [book:Existence|132..."

Second vote for Kaz Brekker!

Aditi Aaron Warner from the Shatter Me series!!!

message 42: by t (new) - rated it 3 stars

t g Kiaran from the Falconer trilogy! The romance in the trilogy reminded me a lot of Rhys x Feyre at some moments.

Agnes I’ve already commented once, hahaha. I’ve recently read the Winter King, and mah gawd it’s good, aaaannnddd one of the main characters, Wynter, is quite like Rhysand :))

message 44: by Siv (new) - added it

Siv Ní Will Herondale in The Infernal Devices Trilogy is quite similar.

Julia Rhysand is an amazing character, at times he can be a real b*****d, sometimes so loveable and at other times you feel so sorry for him! It's really impressive that Sarah J Maas managed to produce such a character! I found he was even more diverse in the second book, it's incredible. I wish there were more fascinating characters like him in many books.

s.f.j  67 Lamisa wrote: "I've just finished reading ACOMAF and I can't get over the fact that how beautifully Rhysand was written, he basically ruined every other male character for me. He set the bar way too high and ever..."

Here are a few characters like Rhysand:

Kaz Brekker from Six of crows
Aaron Warner from Shatter me
Will Herondale from The infernal devices (plus point: he's a book nerd ;P)
Rowan from Throne of glass (he's introduced in the third book AND HE IS JUST dwkndwoi)

message 47: by Keya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keya s.f.j wrote: "Lamisa wrote: "I've just finished reading ACOMAF and I can't get over the fact that how beautifully Rhysand was written, he basically ruined every other male character for me. He set the bar way to..."

WinterRose wrote: "Enzo from The Young Elites isn't sassy, but he's a very morally gray character--actually many of the characters in that book are. :) But Enzo is very powerful, very calculating, and an excellent fi..."

Truthfully, towards the end of the Rose Society, I think that Magiano was more like Rhys than Enzo...

Julia Rhysand just gets better in the next book!

message 49: by Jolin (new)

Jolin I know you wrote this comment a long time ago but, I really recommend Darren from First Year (The Black Mage #1) by Rachel Carter! At first he seems like a jerk to Ryiah but their relationship develops as the story goes on. He's also a prince ;) . And the plot and storyline is good too.

Maggie ☘ Luca from Blood for Blood by Catherine Doyle!

« previous 1