Love Inspired Heartsong Presents discussion

Table for Two
This topic is about Table for Two
LI Heartsong Presents Author Q&A > April 28-30 Q&A with Brandy Bruce

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Our next Q&A with Brandy Bruce starts on Monday. Hope to see you there!

message 2: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Welcome to our author Q&A with Brandy Bruce.

Brandy Bruce holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Liberty University. She's worked as a book editor for more than eight years. Looks Like Love is her first novel. Brandy makes her home in Colorado with her husband and two children. When she's not editing manuscripts or writing, she's usually reading--anything from books about vampires to quiet Amish life. She also loves watching movies, talking on the phone with her sisters, blogging, or baking any kind of cheesecake.

Brandy’s book, Table for Two, was a March 2014 release.

Table for Two by Brandy Bruce

MANDY SEYMOUR ALWAYS BOOKS A TABLE FOR ONE

So the pretty food critic is stunned when she captures the eye of dashing chef Leo Romano. Leo's good looks and fabulous cooking are swoon-worthy, but it's his tender care of his ailing father and affection for his warm Italian family that really touch her heart.

A broken engagement has made Leo cautious. And as he grapples with his dad's illness he's skeptical about starting a new relationship, even with a woman as compelling as Mandy. But as he spends more time with Mandy, Leo starts to realize maybe the last thing he should give up is love.

Welcome, Brandy! I’m going to open the floor for our readers to ask questions and start our discussion.

message 3: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Narelle! Thanks for hosting a Q&A! I'll be checking in all day!

June | 213 comments Welcome Brandy! I read Table for Two this weekend and really enjoyed it. I got a chuckle out of how your characters met and the couple of chapters it took for them to clear that all up :)

Do you have other books contracted with Heartsong Presents and are they going to be about some of the other characters we met in Table for Two?

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments Hi Brandy! You had me at cheesecake! ;)

message 6: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments LOL, Melody! I'm such a cheesecake fan. In fact, Heartsong asked for a recipe for readers for book 2 in the series (release in July), and I provided one of my fave cheesecake recipes!

message 7: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi June! Yes, it's a 3 book series. The next book follows Leo's sister, Isabella. So we'll catch up with Mandy again. Book 3 is about a very minor character from Table for Two. He just kept pestering me until I gave him his own story. Ha! I've loved writing all three books. I'm a food-lover, so books about food are right up my alley.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose Zediker | 126 comments Hi Brandy,

It's nice to meet a fellow Heartsong Presents author! Is this a debut book for you? If not, what other books do you have published?

message 9: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Rose! It's sort of my debut. Let me explain! :) I did publish a novel a few years ago on my own titled Looks Like Love. It's available through Amazon. Being an editor myself, it was a fairly easy process for me to do it myself. I had editor friends who edited the book. I'm very familiar with going through proofs and giving input on covers and writing back cover copy. It was a story I absolutely loved but chick-lit wasn't selling at that time, so I just did it myself. (My agent was supportive of that.) I was thrilled when Heartsong decided to publish Table for Two. I've read several Heartsong books and have enjoyed all of them. It was a good fit for me.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Gray (helenbrowngray) | 79 comments Brandy,

Thanks for clearing up that point about your debut and self published books.

How long does it usually take you to write a Heartsong length book?

message 11: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Brandy, I love cheesecake, too! Especially the New York style baked cheesecakes. I'm looking forward to seeing your cheesecake recipe when your July book releases :)

message 12: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Helen! It takes me about four months to write a Heartsong book. The first book was completely written when I submitted it to Heartsong. So doing the other two on a set timeline was new for me.

message 13: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Narelle, for any cheesecake lover, that recipe is a winner so you will definitely have to grab it when they post it. :)

message 14: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments I just went to Amazon and looked up your first book and it looks like a fun read! It's now on my wish list :)

Isabella's story will be good! And I'm thinking Jeremy for story three but I guess I'll have to wait and see on that one ;)

So for those who have not read Table for Two yet, part of the story deals with parents dreams for their children and the child's choices not matching up with those dreams therefore said child (even though they like their life and choices) sees themselves as a failure in parents eyes and that causes relationship tension. My own children are getting to that age where it's time to make some choices and I'm curious about opinions of everyone here on how much and what sort of advice to give kids on the direction of their lives/ careers.

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Vannatter (shannontaylorvannatter) | 171 comments Hey Brandy,
Nice to meet you. I love cheesecake - any kind. But turtle is my favorite. I love that you have Italian characters. Sounds fun.

I'm jealous. Oh to have been an editor first. But it could complicate things. Turning off your editor brain and turning on your creative brain. Is that hard for you?

message 16: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments June, that's definitely a major theme in the book. I've been a reader since childhood and always scribbling away in books. My parents both noticed early on which way my interests leaned. I think it made all the difference that my dad was so observant and supportive of my interests. When I was in high school, he bought me a ticket to go to a writers' workshop in town hosted by two well-known authors. I didn't even ask! He just bought the ticket for me as a gift. My parents' encouragement has been life-giving for me and still is.

message 17: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Shannon!
I think being an editor has actually helped me tremendously. But being a reader has helped even more! For my job, I'm a nonfiction editor. But even in nonfiction, the power of story is important and necessary. The hardest part has been juggling work projects, to be honest. Making time to write amid editing several books and having two small children. My husband is extremely supportive and helpful--otherwise I don't know how I'd finish anything! :)

message 18: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments My 19 year old daughter is the grammar queen and I told her she could do well at editing. Her problem is that she opens a book and her inner editor jumps out and she can't get past chapter one, so she's not read many books in her life and doesn't think she could edit if she doesn't read... In high school her goal in life was to play guitar and work in a coffee shop :) Now that high school is behind her she's thinking she might like to take an English class or two and see if the editing thing might be satisfactory to her.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Vannatter (shannontaylorvannatter) | 171 comments June, I was the same as your daughter. When I first studied the craft of writing, it ruined reading for me. I'd learned what writers shouldn't do, so if I saw a writer breaking those rules, it ruined the book for me. I finally just had to put that aside and read for pleasure again.

Brandy, I can't imagine writing, editing other's books and having a family. You go, girl.

message 20: by Brandy (last edited Apr 28, 2014 06:49PM) (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments It's a busy time, that's for sure! But books are a passion for me, so I really enjoy my work. And I feel so blessed to be able to do it. When I got the email from Heartsong offering me a 3-book contract, I was just frozen for a minute, feeling like I was living out a dream come true! That little girl inside me who has been writing stories since elementary school felt like jumping up and down. It was a really good day. :)

message 21: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments Brandy, based on your first book with them, they made a great decision! I can imagine your elation/disbelief/excitement!!! When do the next two come out? And will there be a recipe in the third book also?

message 22: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Book 2 releases in July and book 3 releases in November. The recipe for book 2 will be posted online by the publisher (I can't remember where even though they told me! I'll have to check). They haven't asked for a recipe for book 3, but there's one scene where I describe my heroine as she's cooking something and it's practically a recipe in the book! My editor told me once that she tries to edit my books in the afternoon--after lunch! Because she ends up wanting a snack as she reads. Ha!

message 23: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 207 comments Melody how did I know she would have you at cheesecake (pie will do it also).

Brandy did you find any interesting tibits when writing these books. did you have to research a food critic? It sounds interesting.

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 71 comments Oh it sounds delightful ~ congratulations on your 1st book with Heartsong...& the others to come! :)

I'm very fortunate, my parents have been very supportive of their children's dreams.

message 25: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments I also like the part where she goes to church just knowing that the sermon is going to be about forgiveness because she can't forgive Leo. That guilty conscions will get us every time!!!

message 26: by Davalynn (new)

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Brandy, congratulations on your Heartsong contract. I know how exciting it is - and I'm envious of your cooking talents!

message 27: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments I did learn some interesting things while doing research for the book, but my main source of research was the Food Network. I'm a Food Network addict, like Mandy, so that's where the inspiration came from.

I wish I had more time to work on my cooking skills, but I live vicariously through people like the Pioneer Woman! :)

message 28: by Davalynn (new)

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments I know what you mean. I love Pioneer Woman.

message 29: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments June, I was smiling as I wrote that part about Mandy in church! Happens to all of us!

message 30: by Melody (last edited Apr 29, 2014 09:34AM) (new)

Melody | 136 comments Jenny, maybe because my middle name should be dessert! haha My middle name is Joy, so that pretty much does mean dessert! ;) I love food. I love cooking, I love baking, I love eating! Hence why I work at a restaurant! Food taste tester is the BEST part of my job!

message 31: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments The food aspects were so fun to write in all three books! You might notice that in Table for Two, I dedicated the book to both of my grandmothers. My Hispanic grandmother was part of my inspiration to write about restaurant life. She owned a large, successful Mexican restaurant in Harlingen, Texas for nearly thirty years. Growing up, going to Grandma's restaurant was so fun. Those are some of my favorite growing-up memories. Her enchiladas were like none other! My aunt (my tia) owned a Mexican restaurant in Houston for several years. So restaurants are a part of my family. And love for food is part of my family! :)

message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetuk) Hi Brandy,and congratulations. I have a copy of Table For Two but haven't started it yet. I live in England so not really familiar with Heartsong Presents but when I discovered them on Amazon I liked your blurb so much I ordered the book straight away. Had you started either of the other books when you sold?

message 33: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Janet! Nice to meet you! No, I'd only had book one ready, so I dived into writing books 2 and 3 once I was contracted. You should check out my first novel, Looks Like Love. For a large part of the book, the setting is in England. I've been to England once and loved it so much that I had to make it a setting for a story! Thank you so much for purchasing Table for Two! Once you've read it, please leave a review so I can find out if you liked it! :)

message 34: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments Melody wrote: "Jenny, maybe because my middle name should be dessert! haha My middle name is Joy, so that pretty much does mean dessert! ;) I love food. I love cooking, I love baking, I love eating! Hence why I ..."

Sounds like "the life", Melody :) I have a daughter named Joy. I'll have to tell her it means dessert! She'll like that!

message 35: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments One of my favorite novels that includes food elements is Siri Mitchell's Chateau of Echoes. It's an older novel, but it's one of my all-time favorites and the cooking aspect is wonderful!

message 36: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments Oh it is June! :) I love that you have a daughter named Joy. That's what my Dad calls me. If he ever calls me Melody it trips me out! haha

message 37: by Brandy (last edited Apr 29, 2014 05:20PM) (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments On top of loving books about food, I love movies about food! Any foodie movie lovers on here? Chocolat anyone? ;)

message 38: by Davalynn (new)

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Chocolate - yes. And bacon. Just not together :)

message 39: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Davalynn, chocolate and bacon (separately of course!)--my kind of girl! :)

message 40: by Cecelia (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 33 comments Any of you watch the Food Network? They featured a product, made in some food establishment. The product was chocolate-covered bacon. No, I'm not kidding. People do eat them together. No, doesn't sound appealing to me, but, whatever floats your boat.

Oh, I've seen bacon milkshakes, too! They used to serve those in Denny's restaurant!!

message 41: by Davalynn (new)

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Last night on NCIS they mentioned bacon brownies. Gag!

message 42: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Hi Cecelia! I watch the Food Network all the time. I love the cupcake wars and Chopped!

message 43: by Cecelia (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 33 comments Brandy wrote: "Hi Cecelia! I watch the Food Network all the time. I love the cupcake wars and Chopped!"

Hi, Brandy

Cupcake wars is kinda nice. I prefer watching the shows where the people are cooking in their home kitchens, like the Neely's, Rachelle Ray...I enjoyed Paula Deene before she was fired from the show!

I need to give your books a try. Do you mention food in your books?

Wait a minute....I just read the summary of your book! I bought it already for my Kindle! Just have not read it yet!!

message 44: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Pioneer Woman is probably my favorite on Food Network, but my husband and I and even the kids like to watch Chopped! :) I like Rachael Ray too. And I'm so glad you bought the book! Food is DEFINITELY mentioned! It's a theme in all 3 books in the series. :)

message 45: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments I used to love Food Network. Haven't watched it in awhile. I used to with my momma. Rachael Ray is my favorite. I do watch her daytime TV show, so I get lots of food in that way. Love Guy Fieri and Sunny Anderson. She makes all sorts of delish things. My favorite is a German chocolate cake cookie she did. It's one of my all time favorite cookies.

message 46: by Cecelia (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 33 comments Brandy wrote: "Pioneer Woman is probably my favorite on Food Network, but my husband and I and even the kids like to watch Chopped! :) I like Rachael Ray too. And I'm so glad you bought the book! Food is DEFINITE..."
YUMMY!! I started the book tonight during my son's karate class!! Definitely food is mentioned. Croissant stuffed with smoked ham and cheddar cheese!! Some kinda lobster dish with a tart cream sauce over pasta...some kinda dessert, I believe it had cherries in it, or it was some kind of torte? Cappuccino...yum, yum, yum! :-)

message 47: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 213 comments The cherry cassata torte had my mouth watering!!! Or was it the romance of them sharing it ;)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 33 comments June wrote: "The cherry cassata torte had my mouth watering!!! Or was it the romance of them sharing it ;)"

Yes, sounded yummy!!!

message 49: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments I always wanted Italian food while I was writing! LOL!

message 50: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Bruce (brandybruce) | 48 comments Thanks, ladies, for participating in the Q&A! I've loved getting to chat with all of you! :)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Table for Two (other topics)