Brave New World Brave New World question

what did you think of the ending
Colleen Browne Colleen Apr 26, 2014 07:01AM
I was rather disappointed. Frankly, I expected a war that destroyed or somehow disrupted the world as it was. Would that not have been an improvement?

I wouldn't change a thing in this book, I find it rather amazing cover to cover. In my opinion, the ending is great because it symbolizes the contrast between John and the society to which he couldn't get accustomed to. So, on one side, we have the consumer society that is technologically monitored and manipulated, devoid of free will and privacy. On the other side, we have John, who values important things in life and who felt what life without the society's shackles meant. And once the society gets a hold on you, you cannot get out alive.

At first I was confused. I thought he was walking in circles, but later in class, my teacher explained that he hung himself. While sad, I think it is a fitting end. John's life never would have gotten better, so I don't think there really could be a better ending.

F 25x33
Elizabeth Finally someone explained it! Thanks!!!
Dec 31, 2015 04:23AM · flag

I think the ending is fitting due to the statement of the book. Society continues on regardless of individuals or their motives.

The entire point of the book was John's own exposure to both worlds and his inability to live in either. On the one side, he had a free but brutal life in the Reservations. On the other, a stifled and completely controlled life in "Civilization". Ultimately, he was unable to resolve this struggle and could not find a happy medium, nor any peace. So really, it was the perfect resolution to the story because it drove the point home so very effectively.

Huxley would later regret not giving John a third option, like in the form of the exile communities. But he'd tackle that years later with his story Island (not to be confused with the terrible Michael Bay movie).

In Huxley's time, among certain people, suicide was considered a rational response to an intolerable situation and sometimes even heroic.

Today, of course, we mostly see it as a symptom of mental illness. That deprives it of the sense of protest or martyrdom that Huxley may have intended.

deleted member Jan 12, 2019 07:57PM   1 vote
I too, was expecting a revolt of some sort. That's the troupe now with dystopian novels anyway. But I really don't think a revolt necessary in this case. Maybe the story is better for it in the end. The world in this story is SO perfect, SO controlled that it makes sense for no revolt to happen. All in all, the end is one of my favorite things about the story. It's not perfect; it's not clean; it's life.

The number one feature of the society in Brave New World is, that it is stable. It is supposed to not have anything tip it off balance. Having a war, disaster or whatever do that would make the whole horrific outlook on that society much less dramatic.

Kanishka (last edited Nov 02, 2014 09:20PM ) Nov 02, 2014 09:19PM   0 votes
I found that the ending was rather great. When the world actually changes in a way the book shows; it was quite likely that no one would ever want a war. No one was power hungry, they just did what they had to and were taught to. If the author introduced a war, it would rather would have been hypocritical in the author's part. Technically, Huxley nailed it. Emotionally, it touched all who read it.

How could it have ended any other way. Society was designed and conditioned so that it could not be disrupted by just a few dissenters. The fact that what most readers feel is the good guy loses in the end makes the story a little bit scarrier and harder hitting. "If we allow this to happen to society, we will never be able to stop it" vs. "if it happens, it is only a matter of time before everything sorts itself out."

U 25x33
Adam Meadows That's one of the key points, I think: he is just as conditioned as the world he hates. But he actively suffers his conditioning, whereas the others h ...more
Mar 08, 2016 04:13AM · flag

I totally agree with jelena. The ending is perfect in much the same way that the ending to 1984 is perfect. Neither one of them is a "happy" ending, but both of them contribute to the overall impact of the novel.

I can't really see any alternative ending, because like Budd said, there is no way to up-heave their society because of how conditioned they are to be stable. It's a sad ending, but it's a sad book. It takes our society, pulls out all of the negative qualities, and magnifies them. There was no way for it to end happy.

Briar (last edited Jan 25, 2015 03:17AM ) Jan 25, 2015 03:15AM   0 votes
I finished reading this book for the first time last week. I was really dissatisfied with the ending, though I enjoyed the rest of the book. It really felt like an easy way out to me.

I honestly thought that John would get sent to an island and become the product of extensive study. An attempt to condition an adult, to see if it would be possible or to generally be a prisoner/experiment (they were doing all kinds of nutty things - I'm sure they were testing on adults somewhere!). Even to be a creative mind on an island. I mean, others got to do it, I couldn't understand why this option was denied for him alone.

When that didn't happen, and he ended up secluded/trying to live off the land, I figured he'd end up roaming around endlessly. Obviously the people from the cities would never give him any peace so I thought he'd end up constantly trying to escape them. Or at least that there would be more push from society before he chose suicide.

I was a little surprised at the suicide option, because John is taught about Christ and he has the indian religion as well. I'm not sure what the indian religion would teach, but generally Christianity frowns upon suicide and I would have thought John would have struggled against it a bit more than he did.

I really thought the book would take it in a different direction, and was a little bummed with it ending that way. It seemed too easy/neat for me. I never, ever expected him to have an easy or happy life. Obviously, he would never find that, but I expected something a little more!

E Jan 03, 2015 04:37AM   0 votes
I thought the ending was brilliant- the last 50 or so pages were my favourites! It was exactly what i would expect to happen if the events in the book did happen. The reaction of Civilisation to John and his mother was predictable but nonetheless horrible to read- though some wonderful revolution that would resolve the society would have been a nicer ending,it wouldn't have rung true or fit with the rest of the book.

The ending is the best part of the book.

I was also confused--not by him hanging himself, but by WHY. In my opinion, suicide is never an option I give myself. Why couldn't he just leave both "worlds" and just walk away to another place? Sure, it may not lead to anything good, but I think it's better than suicide.

affirmative - affirmative Terminator

I'm pretty satisfied with the ending because a "normal" book would give John a 3rd option. It's refreshing to read something where the main character doesn't have a traditional happy ending.

Dana (last edited Jul 15, 2014 08:36AM ) Jul 15, 2014 08:35AM   0 votes
The ending made sense to me. He was a person with no people. He didn't belong anywhere. -Not with the "savages," not with the modern people. I think it was also supposed to be a somber comment on the dark turn humanity had taken in that "humanity" was pretty much lost to scientific control. In regards to a war, who would fight in it? There weren't many real humans left who would feel that innate sense that there are principles worth dying for.

I thought it was rushed. I didn't feel fully satisfied with the ending. I felt like if he lingered on Johns suffering resisting conformity for a bit longer one could have formed stronger relations to John so his death would seem more significant. After reading 1984, Brave new world was a great contrast with the unusual "happy" instead of efficient utopian society. I did think the ending with John dying was adequate, I completely understand how he didn't fit in with either society and was stuck between two societies but I do wish that the end lingered for a bit, before the final blow.

I have empathy for the main character and I would have done the same thing. In a way I think of him as a martyr.

I think it was perfect. I was thoroughly satisfied. John went to visit his false gods for holiday. 'Ixtab' was the goddess that saw his departure. Look her up.

It's the ending that had to happen, but it's also the ending that best suits the story, I think.

The ending left me stunned because I didn't expect it to turn out the way it did but it also felt abrupt. I seriously sat there for like 10 minutes just staring at my book. The last several pages leading up to the end felt like a wonderful crescendo and then BAM! Done. That's it. This Brave New World is awful and terrible and the only escape from it is death. Having survived losing someone to suicide by hanging, it left me with weird emotions that maybe others might not have. I found myself with a mix of sadness, dread, numbness, and anger that John couldn't live peacefully in any society. I wasn't displeased with the ending by any means but I can't say, due to the subject matter, that I *loved* it. Though I'll have to agree that the ending was the best part. It just ties up all the crap with a pretty bow and lights it on fire.

I didn't get it, so I'm glad there's this thread to clarify things for me.

Colleen wrote: "I was rather disappointed. Frankly, I expected a war that destroyed or somehow disrupted the world as it was. Would that not have been an improvement?"

Absolutely not. Do you really think a happy ending would have fit with the message of the book?

For everyone who thinks the ending could have been better may be because we have been programmed in this way. When a protagonists rises up against the status quo, we expect immediate action and change but Huxley presents the unpredictable that all feats to truths may not reap the fruits. All struggles may not bear fruit.

I loved the ending. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and the only satisfactory way for the story to end.

The ending was very appropriate for the general tone of the book. Cold, but realistic.