What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > I'm looking for fictional books that involve kidnapping.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments Hello, I am looking for books where kidnapping or being kidnapped is the main idea of the story. I would prefer psychological thrillers where the victim is being kidnapped by a psychopath or something similar, but I am open to ANY genre. If you guys have any suggestions, any at all, please feel free to comment. Thank you. xx

message 2: by bookel (last edited Jun 02, 2014 10:21PM) (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Many children's/young adult fiction kidnapping books listed here (over 280 tagged), which is my interest. Also see profile for more specific subjects within this and also some adult fiction, which I don't read but separated when searching for bus related kidnapping fiction for someone's book search.

message 3: by Lena (new)

message 4: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments I've already read Stolen and it is one of my favorite books. But thanks anyway. You have good taste. :-)

message 5: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments Bookel, thank you for the suggestions. I'm adding some of them to my tbr list. :-)

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments A classic and my favourite The Collector

Living Dead Girl was a good one too

And Cloak and Dagger

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Taken! is a kind of kidnapping book.
Just a Hint-Clint has a kidnapping and rescue in it

Both of these are romances, so mostly it's about the romance, with the kidnapping being what gets the 2 together.

message 9: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments I've already read a few of what you guys have suggested but thank you for the other suggestions! :-D

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39320 comments Mod
It's part of a series, and it kind of helps to have read most of the series so you know the characters, but: Just One Evil Act.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

A Dog's Ransom

You didn't say it had to be a human, right?

message 14: by Roni (new)

Roni | 33 comments I read one that was pretty good.
No Second Chance by Harlan Coben.
I just started reading some of his books and I've been enjoying them a lot.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments Chevy Stevens, Still Missing

message 18: by Kat (new)

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma B (Emmiemelon) | 6 comments What about Gemma by Meg Tilly? It gets a little graphic, but it's pretty good if I remember right! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 151 comments The Stolen Child
Room
Daddy Love haven't read this one yet, but it's got pretty good reviews.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Do they have to remain alive after the kidnapping? Because there are tons of thrillers where victims are abducted and then killed. I'm guessing you are less interested in that?

message 23: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments No that will do too(albeit a bit of a spoiler haha). But yeah, if you have any suggestions that'd be great. I'd like for the books to be as realistic as it can be.

message 24: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2346 comments Checking back, just a recap of some books I linked to (I haven't read all of them yet, but have read quite a few).

I'm almost finished the final book in the Janie series (now 5 books) by Caroline B. Cooney. The final book also looks at the kidnapper's point of view. All make excellent reading.

Children's/young adult fiction authors that wrote a lot of kidnapping fiction include Peg Kehret, Willo Davis Roberts, Lois Duncan and Margaret Goff Clark.

You may enjoy Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin, and, Monster Man by Glyn Parry. I think the latter has point of view from the kidnapper, and both were not entirely my kind of story, but based on what you say you might like them.

A few I recommend that I grew up with include: The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore by Joan Lowery Nixon, On the Edge by Gillian Cross, Prove Yourself a Hero by K. M. Peyton, and probably my favourite, Who Stole Kathy Young? by Margaret Goff Clark.

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) | 45 comments I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 106 comments Billy by Whitley Strieber here is the description on Goodreads:
A chilling tale that could only come from the pen of the bestselling wizard of suspense, Whitley Strieber. Here is a story so terrifying it will leave you breathless. Whitley Strieber's newest novel about a young boy who is kidnapped by a deranged misfit is a shocking look into the dark soul of a psychopath.

message 28: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments Wow thanks guys. Those sound promising. :-)

message 29: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments How about Girl, Stolen by April Henry?
"Sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of the car while her stepmom fills a prescription for antibiotics. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, the car is being stolen.

Griffin hadn't meant to kidnap Cheyenne and once he finds out that not only does she have pneumonia, but that she's blind, he really doesn't know what to do. When his dad finds out that Cheyenne's father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes--now there's a reason to keep her."

message 30: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 31: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Jimmy The Kid by Donald Westlake is the only Dortmunder book I haven't been able to get my hands on. My understanding is that it owes more than a bit to The Ransom of Red Chief, as Our Heroes decide they'll kidnap a kid and hold him for ransom. It's not their usual sort of crime, but they've got a novel that details a kindapping plot that worked out fine for the bad guys, so how hard could it be?

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Reading it now: The Church of Dead Girls.

message 33: by Wendy (last edited May 14, 2014 09:29AM) (new)

Wendy | 81 comments Has anyone suggested The Solid Gold Kid Norma Fox Mazer. I read it as a young girl in the 1970s. It stuck with me for years. Also, I recall Killing Mr. Griffin Lois Duncan.

message 34: by Wendy (last edited May 14, 2014 09:29AM) (new)

Wendy | 81 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Five Were Missing"

also published as Ransom Lois Duncan

message 35: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments Sport by Louise Fitzhugh. This is about a custody battle between ex-husband and wife, but kidnapping and attempted kidnapping do occur. Sorry, I couldn't get the add book function to work this time.

message 36: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Pamela, if you were trying to do that in one off the apps--they don't do that. A serious shortcoming on the part of the apps, since more and more people aren't even bothering with a full fledged computer any more, just using tablets and smart phones of whatever stripe.

message 37: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments No, I was doing from my desktop. Sport
Okay, this time it worked.

message 39: by Grace (new)

Grace (perusingpeahen) | 4 comments The Collector by John Fowles

The first part of the novel is from the perspective of the abductor and the second part of the novel is from the perspective of the abducted. It is a fantastic read and would highly recommend it.

Another one you may consider is Room by Emma Donaghue, I won't write too much as to the plot as that is the beauty of the novel, is the unwinding of all details, but it is well placed as a novel that provides a perspective to something that is not mentioned a great deal except by newspaper accounts.

Steph (loves water) | 109 comments Not sure if you'd be into the genre, and I see no one else posted it, but how about Louisa May Alcott's adult novel, A Long Fatal Love Chase?

http://www.amazon.com/A-Long-Fatal-Lo...

message 42: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Murder Artist: A Thriller
Estranged from his wife, television news correspondent Alex Callahan is enjoying an entertaining excusion to a rural Renaissance fair with his twin six-year-old sons when the two boys mysteriously vanish without a trace.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Spy Cat is the best I've got, even though it's middle-grade.

Resident Optimist (residentoptimist) | 22 comments Creep by Jennifer Hillier has the whole pyschopath thing done very well! Interesting read and there's also this list if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 46: by bb. (new)

bb. (magnumopus) | 92 comments Oooh lots to choose from. Thanks y'all! :-)

message 47: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 4 comments Don't breathe a word is a good one it presents as some weird fantasy novel but ends up with a killer twist and it's not fantasy at all. Cemetery girl was really good too.

message 49: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments Just remembered this one: Taking Terri Mueller

message 50: by Scott (new)

Scott Jennifer wrote: "Don't breathe a word is a good one ..."

Kind of a spoiler, there.

« previous 1