Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Why Do You Love The Books You Love??

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments Seattle's public radio station did a story on why we love the books we do and published a questionnaire to fill out and take to our local librarian for help in getting new books: http://kuow.org/post/why-do-you-love-...

What do you think?

Questionnaire

Print out the questionnaire. Think of one of your favorite books (fiction or narrative nonfiction.) Then for each section below, rank the statements from 1 to 4, 1 being the statement you think best describes your experience reading the book.

(Be diligent in your ranking or it won’t work. No equivocating, no duplicates within sections.)

Section A:

____ This book was very exciting.

____ I wondered what happened to some or all of the characters in the book after it ended.

____ The setting seemed so real to me.

____ This book was very well written.

Section B:

____ I wondered what I would do if I were in the main character’s place.

____ I learned things about where the book is set that I never knew before.

____ I kept rereading sentences and paragraphs of this book because they were so evocative.

____ I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next.

Section C:

____ I am in awe of the way the author could put words together.

____ Even though I’ve never lived there, I “knew” the place where the book was set because of the author’s descriptions.

____ I stayed up late to finish the book.

____ I like reading about characters who seem real to me.

Section D:

____ The main character changed and developed as the book progressed.

____ The setting was like another character.

____ I couldn’t put the book down.

____ Reading this book was like reading a poem I loved.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 6 comments Good questionnaire! Thanks for that. Usually I love a book because of the quality of the writing, the characters ( I love quirky characters ) and the originality of the story.