What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Gender: books for 4th-8th grades where girls do not conform to gender stereotypes

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo (glitchyspoons) | 13 comments Hello,

I'm trying to find books related to girls involved nonconforming gender-y things. In fourth through eighth grade range. I am finding a lot of kindergarten-first grade stuff but I need something older.

Thank you!

message 2: by NaanBaka (new)

NaanBaka | 31 comments I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying you want books where female characters don't conform to stereotypes?

message 3: by Jo (last edited Apr 26, 2014 01:58PM) (new)

Jo (glitchyspoons) | 13 comments Mots wrote: "I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying you want books where female characters don't conform to stereotypes?"

Yes, that are between fourth through eighth level of reading.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Maybe Harriet the Spy.

message 5: by NaanBaka (last edited May 03, 2014 08:02PM) (new)

NaanBaka | 31 comments I'm not really familiar with reading levels, so could you please specify an age range? :D

Here are a few books with atypical female characters, anyway:

1. Hacker by Malorie Blackman
2. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. I think it has two sequels
3. Sabriel by Garth Nix. It also has two sequels
4. Matilda by Roald Dahl
5. The Naughtiest Girl in the School by Enid Blyton. This is pretty old, and many kids today might not enjoy it. If they do, however, there are more in this series. You could also try the Malory Towers and St Clare's series.
6. Bec by Darren Shan
7. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
8. Holes by Louis Sachar. The book focuses on a male character, but the Warden is definitely not your normal woman.
9. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. The first book in a trilogy.
10. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
11. Junior Great Books Series 7: Student Anthology has some cool girl characters. The other stories are actually pretty good anyway.

Again, I'm not really sure of the age range, so I picked a variety of books ranging from those for young'uns to YA books. :)

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Mots wrote: "I'm not really familiar with reading levels, so could you please specify an age range? :D"

This is about ages 10-13, or even 9-14.

message 7: by NaanBaka (new)

NaanBaka | 31 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "This is about ages 10-13, or even 9-14."

Thanks!

In that case, I think the books I suggested should be more or less fine. If I think of any more, I'll add them to the list. :)

message 8: by NaanBaka (last edited Apr 27, 2014 04:21AM) (new)

NaanBaka | 31 comments More books:
12. Anything from the Nancy Drew series
13. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. The first is The Lightning Thief. Another one where the lead character is a guy, but the girls in it are pretty cool.
14. Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Another series
15. The Diary of Pelly D by L.J. Adlington
16. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
17. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. Another trilogy
18. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett. The first book is The Bad Beginning
19. Fearless by Tim Lott
20. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
21. Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo (glitchyspoons) | 13 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Mots wrote: "I'm not really familiar with reading levels, so could you please specify an age range? :D"

This is about ages 10-13, or even 9-14."

Thank you for replying to that question <3. I am used to talking in terms of grade not age. :X

message 10: by Neph (new)

Neph (nephatron) The Silver Crown by Robert C O'Brien
Any of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.
The Penny Pollard diaries by Robin Klein are all favourites of mine from that age.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Any of Andre Norton's juvenile books. Star Ka'at(this is a series with a boy and girl as the MCs)
Red Hart Magic (fantasy with time travel elements and again, a boy and girl as the MCs)
Seven Spells to Sunday (ok, I'm just going to say--most of her juveniles have a boy/girl team. Some have siblings, some friends/neighbors.)
Steel Magic

message 12: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 63 comments Definitely Alanna: The First Adventure, and the rest of the series, and the spinoff Trickster series. Also, the same author's Protector of the Small series, beginning with First Test.

Also:
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn
The Bromeliad Trilogy -great series, the second one's MC is a girl who bucks all the traditions and ends up a leader. Very cute!
Ivy's Ever After and sequel Ivy and the Meanstalk
Dragon Slippers and series
The Tail of Emily Windsnap and series
The Borrowers and sequels
The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales (and most other things by Gail Carson Levine)
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Milk series
Gilda Joyce: Psychic Investigator and series
The Mysterious Benedict Society and series
Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos and series

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments There is a great book called The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler which I read when I was at school (aged about 9 or 10 I think).
It's about a rebellious character called Tyke (male best friend, outspoken, gets in trouble at school) told in the first person, and young readers usually assume Tyke is a boy. At the end of the book it turns out that Tyke is short for Theodora. This is often surprising to kids and led to some great discussion in my class. It's from the 1970s I think so may seem a bit dated is the only thing.

Also Bill's New Frock which is about a boy who wakes up one day as a girl, and how he is treated differently by everyone around him according to his gender.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments The Hunger Games, for someone on the older end of your age spectrum. Also I second the votes for Harriet the Spy and the Garth Nix series. I think of the girls in the Narnia chronicles as pretty stereotypical, but The Golden Compass is a good one.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

A Wrinkle in Time

message 15: by NaanBaka (last edited Apr 30, 2014 01:45AM) (new)

NaanBaka | 31 comments Michele wrote: "I think of the girls in the Narnia chronicles as pretty stereotypical..."

You're probably right; I read it long ago and vaguely remember them being able to fight [at least, Lucy and Susan], so I added it in. I don't remember what the other female characters were like. I guess that probably meant they weren't very good characters, haha. :)

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo (glitchyspoons) | 13 comments Thank you everyone. I had noticed that I was coming up short in elementary aged books that fit this category. But for the life of me couldn't think of anything (though I don't regularly read children novels on my own..so I mean..).

message 17: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia | 64 comments I don't have a lot of suggestions, since I only started my love of reading when I was eleven, but I loved, loved, loved Ronia, the Robber's Daughter at that time.

message 18: by Michele (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:38PM) (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Ooh, also The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and Fly by Night. Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain feature a wonderful feisty princess who'd rather be swinging a sword than doing embroidery. She has a small part in the first book (The Book of Three), the third one (The Castle of Llyr) is all about her, and she has a largeish part in the last one (The High King).

message 19: by Michele (new)

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Oh, totally.

message 23: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (epicfunsize) | 77 comments Beetle & the Hollowbones
Nimona
NewsPrints
Anti/Hero
PrimerDonut the Destroyer

These are all graphic novels with girls as the main characters. I didn't think they're stereotypical, but at the very least there's no damsels in distress.

message 25: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1649 comments Not sure whether OP is still looking, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Little Women.