Recipes: Main courses > Recipes for main courses

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frenchie (new)

Frenchie | 20 comments Mod
Please, post them here.

description

message 2: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 13 comments Here is a Family favorite, and a dish passed down, but no one in my family want's to learn it so I decided to pass it on here, for you are all my family of words.

Po-tish-ie-wa

Sounds strange but it is good.

4-5 medium potato's
1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1 can creamed corn

Peel and chop the potato's so the are aprx 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubed.

Chop the onion

In two to three table spoons of veg oil fry the potato's until they are just turning brown, remove from the pan.

Fry the ground beef and onions until beef is cooked through but not dry. Drain the fat and add the potato's and cream corn bring it to the boil and reduce heat and simmer until the potato's are soft stir regularly to prevent sticking or burning.

From start to Finnish if you are slow like me it will take aprox 1 hour. For quicker cooking par-boil the cubed potato's.

message 3: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine | 3 comments Mod
sounds good & easy. I'll try it 2 see if the kids will like it. i;m a nanny & the kids are fussy eaters but their mum even more.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 53 comments Mod
Cold Rice Salad

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups mayonnaise (approximately)
2 tins tuna, drained well
1 tin anchovy-stuffed olives, drained
1 small tin red pepper strips, drained

Mix the tuna and half the mayonnaise with the cooked rice; taste and see if it needs a bit of salt. Mound onto a serving dish, cover with the remaining mayonnaise and decorate with the olives and pepper strips in an attractive design. Chill well.

I placed this in "main dishes" as it's a bit heavy for a starter, though you could make individual ramekin dishes for a party etc. We eat this in summer, accompanied by a green salad and some white wine.

A friend of mine passed on a really good recipe for chicken with marmalade that I can recommend. You smother a chicken with a very generous amount of marmalade and then roast it. Once cooked, allow the whole thing to cool down, and then carve your chicken onto a serving dish. You then take the marmalade infused juices from the roasting pan, and mix them with mayonnaise. This can be poured over the chicken or served in a bowl on the side for people to help themselves. Its a really tasty dish and ideal for hot weather and/or buffets/parties.

I knew it...I'm the only person who posts here anymore.

"Hellooo...oww...owww!"

message 6: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 13 comments Orinoco, don't worry I will be posting more but a bit tied up with stuff from work. Fear not there is still more food in me lol meaning recipes. I have to test them and think of the best way to describe them before I post them.

This is from my friend "Pixie" on the Amazon cooking forum. It could be served as a tapa, a starter, or a main. I'll just paste her description of the dish here.

Made my own tapas meatballs today...processed some chicken thighs with some minced pork and addded some fresh chorizo sausage, egg , parsley and a few dry panko and some hot paprika...dipped them in spelt four and rested them in the fridge for a couple of hours then rosted them in the oven for 15 mins and added them to some homemade tom sauce and popped them into the oven...lush!

For anyone who's never seen the word, "Panko" is a type of Japanese coarse breadcrumb. Personally I would have dipped them in that instead of the spelt flour, but that's just because we don't have spelt flour here.

Like me, Pixie "somes" her measurements. It all goes to how much of the base ingredient (in this case the meat) you have.

message 8: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 13 comments Here is a family favorite for you.

Stuffed peppers:

6 medium green peppers
1-1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion chopped
1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic
a dash of dill weed
1 can 15oz tomato puree
1 1 1/2 cups cooked rice

Remove the stem and seeds from the green peppers and place them in enough boiling water to cover them for 5-min. Fry the ground beef onion garlic and dill weed. Add half the tomato puree and cooked rice and heat through. Spoon the mixture into the peppers cover with the remaining tomato puree, cover and place them in a preheated oven for 45 min. Remove the cover and continue to bake them for an additional 15 min.

Season to taste and enjoy.

From a friend over on the Amazon UK cooking forum:
Chickpea patties are one of my regular "quick and easy" meals. I just roughly mash/crush a tin of chickpeas with a fork (having removed them from the tin that is) and add a beaten egg and whatever flavourings/seasonings I fancy. Tuna and anchovy is a favourite, but just about anything (cheese, herbs, onion, ham, bacon, etc) works. I then dust them with a little seasoned flour and fry until golden and crisp. They make excellent veggie burgers!