Fabulous Foodies Among Us... discussion

Recipes: Starters > Recipes for starters

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frenchie (last edited Apr 25, 2014 10:54PM) (new)

Frenchie | 20 comments Mod
Post them in this thread, please. A new post for every new recipe.

description

message 2: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:51AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 53 comments Mod
Battered Shrimps

This is my friend Richard Fournier's recipe. They stay crunchy even when reheated. He says the most vital step is the 3-hr resting period, which allows the gluten to work.

Battered Shrimps

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup dark beer

Shrimps
Grated coconut
Oil for deep frying

Mix the flour and beer together in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm and allow to rest for 3 hours (the vital step).

Dredge the shrimps in the batter and then roll in coconut. Fry in hot oil until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.

Try not to eat too many when they are so hot they'll burn your tongue. I know it's tough, but try!

Hummous!!
You know you can make hummous with just about any legume you like. I have made it successfully with lentils, black beans, and blackeyed peas and they're all delicious. I tried canellini beans and was unimpressed, but whatever floats your boat.

For lentil hummous, add a pinch of cumin to the regular recipe (and chili pepper if you like).

For blackeyed pea hummous, add a little lemon zest to the mixture.

Other than that, here's a basic recipe:

Hummous (aka The Source of Life)
2 cups cooked chickpeas or legume of choice
Juice of one large lemon
1-2 cloves fresh garlic
Salt to taste
1/4 c olive oil (or to taste, it helps the mixture emulsify)
2 teaspoons tahine (sesame paste)
Blitz in a blender or food chopper until smooth. Chill well.

Dip for veggies etc., or on a wrap, or as a side, or on a jacket potato. I love jacket potatoes stuffed with just a little shiro miso paste topped with a generous amount of hummous!

message 4: by Conni (new)

Conni Lefon | 5 comments To go with the Hummus recipe, here's the Baba Ghanoush I made this past weekend:

Baba Ghanoush
from the blog Isabelle at Home

1 large eggplant
Zest 1 lemon
Juice 1 lemon
1/4 c tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
3/4 c fresh parsley or cilantro

Preheat oven to 400F.
Slice eggplant in half lengthwise and place flesh side down on a baking sheet. Using a fork, pierce the skin of eggplant all over. Place in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Scoop out the flesh of eggplant and place in food processor. Add lemon zest and juice. Add garlic, tahini, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Pour dip into a serving bowl and add 1/2 c parsley, gently mix, and top with remaining parsley.

Good to see you posting, Conni! This recipe looks so good!!

I know, I know--you're gonna look at this recipe and think, "She's crazy! THAT's not hummous!" Well, maybe not. But it uses the traditional hummous flavourings to good effect. Delicious, and so simple to throw together! What's not to love?

Beet Hummous

Ingredients:

4 medium beets, precooked and diced
1 lemon, zested and juiced (4" lemon zest)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon tahini
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
2 cloves garlic
salt, to taste

Directions:

1. Place all ingredients in the glass of an immersion blender and puree until smooth.

2. Check for salt. If it's too thick, you can add more lemon juice or a couple tablespoons water.

3. Chill well.

Makes a good dip. It's just hard to resist eating the whole container at a sitting!