English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (last edited Apr 26, 2014 01:04AM) (new)

Susan I will nominate the first in a Golden Age series, which has (fairly) recently been republished:

Murder in the Maze

"After both Roger and Neville Shandon are felled in Whistlefield's famous hedge maze by curare-tipped darts, Sir Clinton [Driffield] arrives to restore order at this fractious country estate. Sir Clinton's performance as a criminal investigator is dazzlingly acute and the novel boasts several bravura scenes, all centering on the sinister hedge maze of death. Surely Murder in the Maze is one of the very finest country house mysteries produced by a British detective novelist in the 1920s. . . . No less a literary figure than T. S. Eliot praised Murder in the Maze in The Criterion for its plot construction . . . and its narrative liveliness . . . deeming it 'a really first-rate detective story.' . . . [I]n his 1946 critical essay, 'The Grandest Game in the World,' the great locked room detective author John Dickson Carr echoed Eliot's assessment of the novel's virtuoso setting, writing: 'These 1920s . . . thronged with sheer brains. What would be one of the best possible settings for violent death? J. J. Connington found the answer, with Murder in the Maze.'" (From the Introduction.)

Murder in the Maze (A Clinton Driffield Mystery) by J. J. Connington

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail (goodreadscomgoodreadscomgail) | 1 comments Well done. Good luck. I wish you success.

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments I'll renominate Peter Robinson's most recent novel: Children of the Revolution, which I read recently and liked.

I'd also like to nominate Elly Griffith's most recent: The Outcast Dead, which I hope to read soon.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Davis | 109 comments Very good review of: Children of the Revolution, in the Washington Post today. Was curious to read what their critic had to say.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments I'll nominate A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill - the first of the Dalziel and Pascoe series, but all of the other nominees look good too.

message 6: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) I'll nominate The Mysterious Affair at Styles - assuming there are no rules against this, given the group read in April was also an Agatha Christie?

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I will nominate Wicked Autumn by G.M. Malliet

In WICKED AUTUMN, G.M. Malliet serves up an irresistible English village—deliciously skewered—a flawed but likeable protagonist, and a brilliantly modern version of the traditional drawing room mystery.
One of Library Journal's Best Mystery Books of 2011

message 8: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments I would like to nominate the first Scott and Bailey novel
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe I have not read any of these but others have and seem to like them. The TV series was very popular.

message 9: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Williams (1289) | 55 comments Penny, I am glad to learn there is a Scott & Bailey novel. I love the tv series.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Penny wrote: "I would like to nominate the first Scott and Bailey novel
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe I have not read any of these but others have and seem to like them. The TV series was very popular."

Penny, what was the TV series called? I would like to see if it is on dvds.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Diane wrote: "Penny, what was the TV series called? I would like to see if it is on dvds."

It is called "Scott & Bailey" -- I just started watching it a few months ago on my PBS channel.

message 12: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments Diane wrote: "Penny wrote: "I would like to nominate the first Scott and Bailey novel
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe I have not read any of these but others have and seem to like them. The TV series was very ..."

sorry Diane - I didnt get back to reply but Leslie stepped in with what you needed!

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Leslie wrote: It is called "Scott & Bailey" -- I just started watching it a few months ago on my PBS channel."
Thanks. My local PBS channel isn't showing it yet. Meanwhile, there's always the books.

message 14: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Ours showed them last summer, and they were very well-done. A bit scary at times for the chicken-livered (that'd be me).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.