Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Book Club > Nominations for May/ June Indie Book Club

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Ironside (julesanneironside) | 653 comments Mod
Ok I'm going to go out on a limb and set this up. Please DM me ONE book nomination to be considered for our book club.

It must be an Indie book - ie independent press/ self-pub/ e-pub etc

It can be one of your books but once again please only nominate one.

Please get nominations in by Friday 2nd May 2014

Once I've sorted the nominations I will open a poll of up to six books which everyone in the group can vote on. Voting closes on May 9th 2014.

The winning book is the one that those participating will be reading. Hope as many people as possible will join us.

We'll be starting reading on 9th May, when I'll open a topic with the book's title as the subject line in the book club folder. As long as it's without spoilers, you can comment and progress report as we go.

We'll be up for full discussion from June 22nd 2014. (So that gives you good six weeks or so to finish the book.)

Please try to leave a review on Goodreads for the chosen book. More importantly an honest review. If you didn't like it or won't score it highly say why and what didn't work for you in polite and constructive critique. Always remember to include what you did like. If you feel that an honest review is going to be harsh or that you can only give one star, it would be polite to DM the author - especially a group member - and give them a heads up. Not everyone is going to enjoy everything but there's no need to send someone else into a spiral of depression over it ;)

Authors, if your book is picked and you receive what you feel is a negative review please resist the urge to do online battle. It's best not to respond at all but to let a review stand but if you feel it is really unfair, then please DM the reviewer and politely ask why if it isn't clear.

But Authors should absolutely feel free to join in on discussions about their books.

Ok I've addressed the worst case scenarios here. I'm sure we won't have any issues. You're a friendly lot who have all been and will doubtless continue being respectful to each other ;)

I'll only intervene if so feel things are getting out of hand.

Finally, I will not be nominating a book or voting as I'm in a privileged position, so I'll be staying neutral. I will however be reading, discussing and reviewing with the rest of you.

Ok then gang have at it. Send me some nominations!

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Me first? Okay, I guess I'll be crass enough to list one of mine, Ship of Storms. I just hope you'll find it worthy of consideration.
Ship of Storms by Ken Doggett

message 3: by J.A. (new)

Thanks Ken. That's one nomination.

Come on people - I know you're all book lovers. Direct message me some nominations. You know you want to ;)

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Maltman (jamiemaltman) | 156 comments Mod
Thanks J.A., DMed you.

And I'm really excited to be a part of exploring indie authors together in these genres.

If they're works of members of the group, we could do Q+A too once you get past the spoilers-blackout period.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Willis | 258 comments You have DM JA! This is exciting.

I haven't nominated one of my own... you never know, someone else might...

message 6: by J.A. (new)

Great Idea Jamie - love it! I'm endlessly fascinated by others' creative processes and sometimes you just want to know why they killed off a character ;)

I got both yours and Matt's DMs. Really excited about this. Thanks for sending nominations both of you and thanks for the support with this progect :)

We could be on to something big here!

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Sorry, I misunderstood the DM thing until you spelled it out for me. If you have my novel on your list, go ahead and delete my crass commercial posting. (Or ask me to do it--either way is okay)

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard | 490 comments Mod
Thinking back to a sketch I remember from a 1980s radio show (an Election Night Special: one seat, thirty-thousand candidates, the result a dead heat because everyone voted for themselves) I'm following Matthew's example!

message 9: by J.A. (new)

Don't worry, Ken . I only recommended direct messaging as some people might prefer to nominate privately, either for their own work or someone else's. I really don't mind the post but if you are uncomfortable you can delete it if you wish as Ive got your nomination .

Lol. I was privately worried that might end up being the case Richard. Happily, without breaking any confidences, I can say that even in just over 24 hrs, we have a few clearly in the lead - so not everyone is using their one nomination on themselves ;)

Which is good because I have yet to come up with a plan for a tie- breaker situation!

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I generally nominate my own every chance I get because it's doubtful that my obscure book would ever get nominated otherwise. On the other hand, my vote-getting campaign is non-existent, so my nomination--or vote--won't matter one way or the other. I don't depend on this for a living, so there are never any hard feelings. Whatever the winner turns out to be, if it's appealing to me I'm likely to read it.

message 11: by J.A. (new)

Ultimately, if a nominated book doesn't get chosen this time, there's no reason it can't be nominated again. And merely putting a book in the running raises it's profile. I found four books on another groups book club poll that I hadn't heard of but liked the sound of. I added them to my to read list. (Unfortunately the book that one was by the one author in poll whose work I won't touch again with a barge pole but then those are the breaks - I'm at a huge advantage here because I actually want to read all the books nominated anyway!)

No shame in nominating your own work - if an author won't stand by it and say it deserves to be read why would anyone else? I think as Indie authors we all need to get over the feeling that we must come creeping with cap in hand because we haven't gone through traditional gate keepers.

message 12: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (CG_Garcia) | 1 comments Just sent you a message J.A. Here's hoping the author I nominated gets a shot! :)

message 13: by J.A. (new)

Thanks C.G. Your support is appreciated :)

message 14: by J.A. (new)

OK, the nominations are in and the poll to vote on the book we'll be reading in our May/ June book club is up and running. Please get clicking people :)

message 15: by R.L. (new)

R.L. | 10 comments I seem to be lost here. How do we vote? Is there a list?

message 16: by R.L. (new)

R.L. | 10 comments I am clearly lost here. Sorry. Where is the poll?

message 17: by J.A. (new)

Hi Rebecca, if you look at the top right hand corner under 'invite people' and 'members' there is an attribute entitled 'polls'. (All this is under our somewhat modest banner and group title.) If you click on polls it will show you all the polls - there's only one at the moment - book of the month - click on that and it will show you your voting options. Click on the button of the book you like the look of most.

Many thanks :)

message 18: by Micah (last edited May 06, 2014 03:11PM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments In the future, I'd suggest adding a link to the poll in your messages to the group. Lazy sots like me are far more likely to vote when I don't have to go looking for links.

Oh, also if it's possible, links to the nominated books is helpful so we can see what we're voting on. I voted for Daedalus [whatever] for personal reasons (even though I have no clue who wrote it or what it's about!). ;D

message 19: by J.A. (new)

Duly noted ;)

Though the first email when I set the poll should have had a link included. If it didn't can someone let me know as I'll need to adjust the settings? That would be the email from 03/05/2014.

Cheers.

message 20: by R.L. (new)

R.L. | 10 comments Okay, hooray! I voted in my first poll. It wasn't difficult to go look at each book individually with the search window. I recommend it.

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Willis | 258 comments J.A. wrote: "Duly noted ;)

Though the first email when I set the poll should have had a link included. If it didn't can someone let me know as I'll need to adjust the settings? That would be the email from 03/..."

FYI I got a link in the initial email J

message 22: by J.A. (new)

Thanks Rebecca :)

And cheers, Matt. Everything is working as it should be then. Phew!

message 23: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments Darn it, I missed to nominate a book (my puters were acting up again, accursed gremlins). Maybe next time >_>

message 24: by J.A. (new)

You can nominate for July/August. Just opened it up. Send me a PM.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue Perry | 175 comments J.A. wrote: "You can nominate for July/August. Just opened it up. Send me a PM."

Are you closed for July/August yet? I tried to PM you but the page won't load and I can't wait until tomorrow to try again because I would need to develop patience. Anyway, I would like to nominate my new novel Nica of Los Angeles, which is the first in a fantasy detective series.

Nica of Los Angeles (Frames, #1) by Sue Perry

message 26: by J.A. (new)

Ok, Sue that's fine. You've got until Friday anyway. Which category did you want to put that in?

message 27: by Sue (last edited Jul 02, 2014 12:11PM) (new)

Sue Perry | 175 comments J.A. wrote: "Ok, Sue that's fine. You've got until Friday anyway. Which category did you want to put that in?"

Which category…. Hmm. Sorry if I am overlooking something obvious - I can't find a list of possible categories as I click around the site.

This book is self-published; a novel; fantasy or speculative fiction with detective and dystopian elements. It is in pre-order mode so I would send readers a .pdf copy.

Let me know, of course, if you need additional information. Thanks for letting me add it to the list of considered books.

P.S. I think it is great that you are doing this and appreciate the positive and helpful tone of comments in the prior round.

message 28: by Richard (new)

Sue, the three categories are Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror. I've been reading the early chapters of yours and I think you could nominate it as either SF or Fantasy. You can nominate two further books for the two unused categories as well if you feel like it.

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue Perry | 175 comments Richard wrote: "Sue, the three categories are Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror. I've been reading the early chapters of yours and I think you could nominate it as either SF or Fantasy. You can nominate two furt..."

Aha! OK. Well, we can eliminate Horror. I will nominate it for SF but am fine with having it moved to Fantasy if that balances the offerings in some way.

I don't want to hog the nominations so will not nominate anything else this time around.

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Here's one thing to keep in mind about categorizing a story: Fantasy readers won't mind a few SF elements in a Fantasy story, but SF readers are usually not happy with Fantasy elements. SF is more about technology and science, and if you introduce an element that's blatantly paranormal, i.e., without scientific plausibility, you run the risk of alienating the reader.

message 31: by J.A. (new)

Good point Ken.

I also apologise that out of necessity the categories have to be so broad. I fully expect some genre crossover - it's the nature of the beast. However after all our excellent and ongoing discussions about genre and it's uses and abuses, I find myself in the same position as a book shop. In other words roughly where do I put the book! It's very annoying. But I think if I created a category for every sub genre we can all think of, we'd all be reading until Xmas. 2017! Lol

I'm glad you want to throw your hat in the ring, Sue :)

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue Perry | 175 comments Ken wrote: "Here's one thing to keep in mind about categorizing a story: Fantasy readers won't mind a few SF elements in a Fantasy story, but SF readers are usually not happy with Fantasy elements. SF is more..."

Good point! Although many fantasy readers get testy if there are not enough pure genre elements. One reason I want these reads is to get feedback about which genre to emphasize.

The "rules" of my universe are consistent, and philosophically plausible. Let's hope I haven't written something that will tick off readers in all the genres it straddles...

message 33: by Richard (new)

That is a good point Ken. So, the same question I think: what about a place where the actual laws of nature are different from the ones we're used to? Nothing either paranormal or magical involved, it is 'scientific', but a very different - strange, surreal - scientific?

message 34: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) If an author can make it sound scientifically plausible, then I'm pretty sure it would be okay with a lot of readers. But then you run into the problem that if you can change the laws of nature by moving to another place, then anything is possible, and the story becomes chaotic. Something to think about, and possibly something for a good Fantasy author to try.

message 35: by Richard (new)

How about this: with 'magic' it's the characters who produce phenomena, with 'scientific' it's the universe which produces them - even if it's a surreal universe and strange phenomena?

message 36: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments Ken wrote: " if you can change the laws of nature by moving to another place..."

Vernor Vinge did it in A Fire Upon the Deep and people didn't seem to get too upset about it. ;D

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Micah wrote: Vernor Vinge did it in A Fire Upon the Deep and people didn't seem to get too upset about it. ;D"

I can't argue the merits of that, or the context, since I didn't read it.

message 38: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Willis | 258 comments Richard wrote: "How about this: with 'magic' it's the characters who produce phenomena, with 'scientific' it's the universe which produces them - even if it's a surreal universe and strange phenomena?"

Hmm, not sure about that. The magic in A Song of Ice and Fire seems to be cyclical - when we join the story things seem to be aligning so we have the reappearance of dragons, zombie ice creatures becoming more powerful and encroaching in the world of men for the first time in millenia, 'magic/science fusion' like wildfire suddenly working better for no discernible reason... But they are laws of a different universe.