The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

General Science Fiction > WorldsWithoutEnd.com

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments I have discovered this website https://www.worldswithoutend.com/inde... which covers science fiction, and the two lesser genres fantasy, and horror. It is a site of lists: Lists of awards, Hugo, Nebula and several others, and lists of best books. It's a good resource, especially for listophiles. I discovered, for example, that I have only read 37% of the Hugo Award winners but I have read 57% of the Locus Best SF Novels of All-Time.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments Thanks Buck this is great. It's certainly going to help me find more books to read!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments I've been looking at this today and it really is an excellent site. There are some years where I seem not to have read a single sci-fi book from any of the major award lists (including nominations). I thought I had read a lot of sci-fi but it seems I have only read 40% of the Locus best SF novels of all time so clearly still a long way to go :-)

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 64 comments Obviously this is a very old thread but I’m a new member browsing, and happened upon it. I found WWE before I started using GR extensively a few years ago. At that time, I resolved to read more and basically quadrupled my reading to over 100+ books a year. I’ve always read award-winning books but there’s a lot of good SF&F I’ve missed over the years. Using the “Classics of SF” in WWE and similar lists elsewhere, I built a composite best of list, the completion of which is my main goal. However, reading that much, I like to lay out specific goals and WWE challenges are fantastic for that. Between WWE and the GR groups, I discover lots of new directions to go. Highly useful site to me.