Backstory discussion

Debates > Fast Food

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
Should fast food be banned or at least restricted in America?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

No. This is freaking America. A free country. People can eat what they want, whatever. It's not the Government or whoever's business to control people's diets. Though I don't like fast food, it's not my business, or anyone else's, to control what somebody eats.

message 3: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments I agree. It shouldn't be the governments fault people are obese. It's the peoples choice.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup.

message 5: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 57 comments ☠мeιyυ(αи∂ ɾαïṉвøώṡ)☠♫ιғ тнeѕe wιngѕ coυld ғly♫ wrote: "No. This is freaking America. A free country. People can eat what they want, whatever. It's not the Government or whoever's business to control people's diets. Though I don't like fast food, it's n..."
YEEEEEEEEEEES.
And besides, it's your own choice. Anyone should be ABLE to open up a business if they want to, as long as it doesn't have illegal food or something. If people made the decision not to go there on their own, the business would close down as a result. But no government should decide that.

message 6: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
but what if we all die from obesity?

(don't actually believe this just showing the other view)

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess I love fast food. But that dosent mean I let myself get big.

message 8: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
but what about people who do?

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments What the government really needs to work on is making nutritious food available and affordable for people, because a lot of people who are overweight or obese are also of low socioeconomic status. Fruits and vegetables are expensive, home-cooked meals are time-consuming, and if someone is working two or three jobs to make ends meet and feed their kids, it's a lot easier to make some microwavable dinners than to make a whole nutritious meal. And they probably certainly don't have time to go to the gym. There are a lot of factors that affect obesity, and fast food is just one of them. Hope this adds a bit to the discussion.

message 10: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
there we go take that to the government!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyawesomesauce) | 8 comments I'm not sure where you live, but in my town in America, you can go to a store and buy things to make a homecooked meal for under $10. My mother is on food stamps so we always try to buy things that'll cost less. We were able to make a big pot of spaghetti (that took around 30 minutes to cook in total) for under $7, and the leftovers lasted a few days after eating. And I have 3 sisters. If you know how to shop, there should be absolutely no problem with buying nutritious food and cooking it. I understand some people don't have time, but some homemade meals don't even take that long to cook. The gym is another thing.

But even if someone does get big from eating food they chose themselves, then who cares? This may seem stupid, but why is this country so obsessed with weight? Have you ever taken into consideration that some people like their bodies bigger? I don't really think it should matter. It's their choice what they want to eat and how they look.

Fast food shouldn't be banned. If you want/like to eat it, eat it. If you don't want it, go to the store and buy your own food.

message 12: by Audra (new)

Audra  | 21 comments The government is trying to get schools healthy but all the food tastes gross so no one eats. Which is just as bad for you as eating not healthy food.

message 13: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
with healthy foods I'm talking about fully organic foods which is really expensive. if it doesn't say organic on on package there's a very big chance it's a genetically modified food and that already shows in research it affects our brains.

Yeah they may like themselves bigger, no problem with that but they have a higher chance dying at a younger age of a cardiovascular problem.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments Spaghetti isn't particularly healthy...but I see your point. I think educating people on how to eat healthy on a low budget is really important. Something the government could certainly put more effort into. As to why we should care if people are obese, chronic diseases such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes are huge problems because of the obesity epidemic in developed countries. Those cost a lot of health care dollars. Taking into account the sources of these diseases (ie. all the things I already mentioned) decreases the prevalence of these diseases and decreases health care spending.

Also, I'm from Canada, not America. But we have similar problems.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments And Liz, whether food is "organic" or not doesn't make it healthy or unhealthy. Organic foods may not be GMO directly, but they can still use some chemicals and heavy metal fertilizers, as well as certain bacteria that genetically modify the plants on their own. And yes, organic food is way more expensive and out of reach for most people. If people want to go for healthy and supporting their local economy, buying local produce from farmer's markets is the best option. But again, not everyone has that luxury.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments Not that I have anything against organic produce. It's just that I feel like a lot of people are under the impression that it's way better for you than other produce, and that's not necessarily true. The fields also cost farmers a lot more money and time because at least a third of their crop is lost to disease every year.

message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments thats why organic food costs so much

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's fine as long as exercise is more publicised and people are more aware of the dangers of obesity.

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments Si. I agree. Nobody should tell you what you can and can't eat. It's a free country and we have our own human rights that must be obeyed. We have our own brains so let us choose what we want to eat.

message 20: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
is it a free country though?

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments Freedom ends when your right to do something compromises someone else's or hurts them.

message 22: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments Sure we have laws but they don't necessarily take away our freedom. they protect our human rights. And one of our human rights is to live in freedom and safety. Also the final human right says that no one has the right to take away your rights. So the government cannot take away our freedom by not allowing fast food.

message 23: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
what about restricting it?

message 24: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments Um...I don't think they should restrict fast food either

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments thank you!!!!!

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments TheCode wrote: "The government should not control what we eat. In fact, the government shouldn't be controlling any personal decisions, because they are just that, personal."

The government shouldn't control any personal decisions eh? Extreme example: What if I decide I want to murder my boss? That's a personal decision.

Not to say I agree with restricting fast food. I've already given my two cents on what I think the gov't SHOULD be doing.

But some personal decisions do need to be controlled. I think you agree.

message 27: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments That is very true