Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

Russell Whitehead
This topic is about Russell Whitehead
AUTHORS' CORNER > Middle Grade Titles by Russell Whitehead

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (last edited Apr 25, 2014 07:14PM) (new)

Russell Whitehead | 5 comments Hello everybody! My name is Russell Whitehead. I write books for children and middle grade readers. Like a lot of new authors here on Goodreads I am struggling to gain a following. I've taken the opportunity to create this thread to showcase my work.

I'm currently working on an original fairytale entitled "The Sparrow Princess" which I plan to publish June 2014. You will find a brief synopsis below.

Become a fan! Check out my blog! Rate & review my books and I promise I will invite you to all my parties when I become famous!

Thanks,
Russell

When King Aaric met Aliyah he fell for her so completely he nearly forgot about her older sister Ernestynah, whom he had proposed to just a day earlier! Still, he married Aliyah anyway. They and their beautiful daughter Alenah may have lived happily ever after too if Aaric’s brother Aaron hadn’t fallen for the schemes of a conniving woman and married loathsome Medeia. Poor innocent Alenah must suffer right along with the rest at the hands of her cruel Aunt. But her suffering is not in vain.

Set in the imaginary city of Calandra, "The Sparrow Princess" is a tale of choices made and the unforeseen consequences that come from thoughtlessness and an inability to let go of things that were never meant to be.

An original fairytale for MG/YA. Coming soon to Amazon.com in Paperback & Kindle! Look for it June 2014!

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire Youmans (claireyoumans) | 34 comments How funny! My The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy will come out this summer! Maybe Shota and your princess can meet. Shall we be friends?

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire Youmans (claireyoumans) | 34 comments I don't actually know how to make friends here -- I mean literally, how do I follow someone and they follow me?
I'm wandering around looking and posting, but I am not actually sure how to use Goodreads!
Russel, let's be friends and you can tell me at least the first part of my (never ending) series of questions,

message 4: by J.L. (new)

J.L. | 48 comments To become a friend, simply click the person's name which will take you to their home page. At that point, you should see a button that says "add as friend" click that and you're done.

I'm middle grade too - adventure though. If you'd like to become friends.

Also, does anybody blog? I've been looking to swap blog links with a few people. I'm looking for those who write MG and PG-13 YA to swap with. Thanks

message 5: by Russell (new)

Russell Whitehead | 5 comments Claire wrote: "I don't actually know how to make friends here -- I mean literally, how do I follow someone and they follow me?
I'm wandering around looking and posting, but I am not actually sure how to use Good..."

Claire, I know exactly what you mean. The way I see it it's kinda like fishing... You bait your hook and put it the water. Then you wait to see if you get any bites. The more hooks you have in the water the better your chances.

I've found that doing giveaways are a good way to gain visibility and get reviews. Although it's not guaranteed to work. Creating topics like the one I've created here under the Authors Corner thread in various groups is another way I've found.

Interaction is key to being noticed. You just have to keep doing it. I've also described it as being like the crazy wavy guy. You know those crazy advertising inflatables that jump around waving and dancing around. That's how it feels to me sometimes.

I've added both of you as friends! Heck I need all the friends I can get! Thanks!

message 6: by J.L. (new)

J.L. | 48 comments Russell,

You live in Atlanta? I'm in Gwinnett! LOL

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire Youmans (claireyoumans) | 34 comments Thanks, Russell. We are tweeting the first chapter, have a contest going for interior art, entrants to be middle-grade to Tween to YA readers, which just started, and I have to say that is one heck of a lot more than any commercial publisher ever did. My publishing company, American I (courier new, no caps, damn you, auto-correct) is on the way. Off to explore...

message 8: by J.L. (new)

J.L. | 48 comments Claire,

Also try to make a book trailer, even if it's just pictures with music - anything helps. Also if you can look to create a 0.5 book, more like a short story in the world - it also helps to bring people in and get them hooked. Most give the 0.5 book away for free - almost like you are doing with the first chapter. Good luck!

message 9: by Russell (new)

Russell Whitehead | 5 comments J L ...well a little south if Atlanta in Griffin

message 10: by J.L. (new)

J.L. | 48 comments Russell - good to see another Georgian! :-)

message 11: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Alley | 6 comments That's a great point about the short story (I hadn't heard it called a 0.5 book, but I really like that!) and something I keep meaning to do. Thanks for the reminder!

J. L. wrote: "Claire,

Also try to make a book trailer, even if it's just pictures with music - anything helps. Also if you can look to create a 0.5 book, more like a short story in the world - it also helps to ..."

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire Youmans (claireyoumans) | 34 comments Fabulous idea! I will be meeting with some filmmaker friends in Tokyo in a couple of weeks and will make inquiries! (I think they will love the idea!) my head is working on Book 2, but I can look at .5, too. We are tweeting the first chapter line by line. It is coming together at last!