Small Government Book Fan Club discussion

Non-Book Talk: News and Politics > Focus. A little focus, please.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments I hear a lot, from various sources, about how the Federal government has gotten too large and too intrusive and how important it is to pare it back if we are to keep the rights and liberties enshrined in our Constitution. And yet, when some resistance to an overweening government is successful, some of those exhorting us to resist just can't seem to take the win.
I'm referring here to the recent standoff in Nevada between a heavily-armed paramilitary platoon of mechanized infantry in the service of the Bureau of Land Management and a small-time rancher in Nevada. The BLM arrived in excessive force and began acting like any other pack of thugs, intimidating the rancher and his family, rustling cattle, and apparently destroying private property. They only stopped when confronted by the rancher's neighbors, who were also armed.
Since then, I've heard from some of those small-government 'advocates' that the rancher, Bundy, was actually breaking the law, so we shouldn't be supporting him. I'd point out that it was the government agency who executed a blitzkrieg attack to start this off that claims that Bundy was breaking the law. So if it is a law, or a regulation, we should not resist it, lest we be associated with criminals or be called criminals ourselves? With that outlook, the original thirteen colonies should never have rebelled in the first place. Nor should Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King have ever dared to oppose laws that they considered unjust. The fact is that we are so hemmed in, hindered and hobbled by a growing mass of laws and regulations that the chances are that an ordinary citizen may be unwittingly committing felonies daily. We currently are also saddled with an administration that picks and chooses which of those laws and regulations it will enforce, and a metastasizing mass of federal agencies which regularly act illegally with no fear of punishment. If we are to resist that, we must begin somewhere. Bunkerville is as good a place as any. Take the win.
And now we hear that Mr. Bundy himself has racist views, and we shouldn't support him lest we be associated with racists, or be called racists ourselves. Disagree with any progressive these days, and you will be called a racist anyway. If that is enough to scare you off, you should probably just keep your mouth shut from now on. Yet for people who want to run away from actually taking a stand...and we're not even talking about pledging lives, fortunes or sacred honor yet...any excuse will do. All these excuses boil down to is that Bundy is insufficiently pure to warrant support, even from folks who daily bemoan the arrogance and corruption of the federal government. If you are just waiting for the perfect cause, you might as well give up now. There will never be such a perfect cause. Whatever Bundy's personal views, he is entitled to them. I doubt that his neighbors would have rallied to him if he were as lawless and racist as some are now trying to paint him.
I am not as concerned with Mr. Bundy's purity as I am concerned about a federal government that is supplying its bureaucratic agencies with paramilitary police forces, not enforcing laws it doesn't feel like enforcing, and trying to disarm its own citizens. Focus, people.

message 2: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 254 comments OUTSTANDING!!!!

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 1445 comments Mod
S.J. this is great! May I re-post it in our Facebook group (with credit, of course)? OR you can join and post yourself :)

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 254 comments Oh, and SJ, I would like to read it on the Radio show I am hosting Tomorrow night.

message 5: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments Thank you both! Jack, I'd be honored if you'd read it. And Masha, by all means re-post it to your facebook group. As for joining, I'm planning on doing that, but I have a couple of questions for you first.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Sure! PM me.

message 7: by Paul (last edited Apr 25, 2014 05:19PM) (new)

Paul Clayton | 2 comments S.J. wrote: "I hear a lot, from various sources, about how the Federal government has gotten too large and too intrusive and how important it is to pare it back if we are to keep the rights and liberties enshri..."
Good points all. There is no 'perfect' victim. And wasn't the media wing of this government swift in coming up with so-called racist views on the part of the rancher. The use of the term, Negro, was cited. Well, we might as well exhume the entire population of the country as it existed in the 1950s and charge them all with racism, as this term, Negro, was the identifier of black people in America, or African Americans, if you please.

message 8: by John (new)

John | 59 comments Extremely well and succinctly put! I've already seen Facebook posts decrying Bundy's "racist" views and dismissing him and his stand entirely as a result.

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 254 comments S.J. wrote: "Thank you both! Jack, I'd be honored if you'd read it. And Masha, by all means re-post it to your facebook group. As for joining, I'm planning on doing that, but I have a couple of questions for yo..."

Thank you for coming on the Robert Bertrand show. It was a pleasure to get to speak with you and I loved reading your article to the folks. You were great.

message 10: by Marina (new)

If liberals only picked perfect representatives for their causes, we'd have no liberalism. If freedom lovers of old only picked perfect representatives, we'd have no Declaration of Independence.

On the slightly sideways note, too many of people on "our" side refuse to read indie fiction or to go to small budget movies by conservatives and libertarians because they aren't not as polished as what comes out of mega-million-budget Hollywood studios or big publishing houses. Stop waiting for perfection and work with what you've got.

message 11: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 254 comments Masha wrote: "If liberals only picked perfect representatives for their causes, we'd have no liberalism. If freedom lovers of old only picked perfect representatives, we'd have no Declaration of Independence.

O..."

Amen sister from another Mister!.