The Hopefuls discussion

Fears

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine20 (new)

Jasmine20 | 88 comments Not phobias, but if you feel as if you can discus your deepest fears, then do. I thought it would be interesting to see each others fears and compare them :)

message 2: by Jasmine20 (new)

Jasmine20 | 88 comments Mine is that I will die and will have not accomplished anything in my lifetime. Like, not done anything with my life. It scares me that thought.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  | 1 comments I'm terrified of the fact that I will go through my life having not completed at least 5 of the things on my bucket list. If said things aren't completed, I will feel like my life will be wasted

message 4: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloesinhercorner) What sort of things do you want to accomplish? (Unless it's private, then I completely understand)

message 5: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 44 comments I think not accomplishing what you want in life is a common fear, but like Matt said you have to appreciate the little things too :) And trust that you will get to do all the amazing things you want, and work hard to make it happen. It's not really a fear that I share- obviously I wouldn't like it but I don't think about it much. Most of my fears revolve around my mum, losing her, her not being happy and things. Woah this thread is deep.

message 6: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Matt wrote: "Lauren while it's good to always have goals and dreams of things you'd like to do and see, try and appreciate the smaller moments in life as well. You will do and see great things in your life and ..."

I totally agree with you. I think the small things are just as important :)

message 7: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) I posted on a discussion called phobias and I have realized what I listed there aren't really phobias but really big fears of mine. I am not sure if I should move that list here and delete the other comment or just let it be.

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Okay so I have deleted my post off the phobia discussion and I copied it here:

-I hate picking up the phone unless I know it is my close friend or family and still then I hate it. It is just so terrifying.
-I have always had this fear of drowning.
-Large spaces of water like the ocean. Two reasons: drowning and sea creatures. Like in video games if there is an underwater level I will get someone to finish that level for me because I just can't handle it, especially if there are like sharks and eels you have to fight or whatever. Just thinking about it gives me the chills.
-Driving. I am just terrified I will get in a wreck or hit a car.
-And my last one is embarrassing myself in public or around people. I think my anxiety causes this one. Like whenever I am around a lot of people I am always on guard and think about what I want to say in my head multiple times before I say it. And I always try to be aware of everything I am doing.

message 9: by India (new)

India (indindia) | 14 comments some of mine are quite ridiculous but i still fear them, and others are probably usual "people" stuff. Here are some of them :
-tsunamis
-sharks
-growing old
-failing at exams, tests, homework
-plane/train crashing, boat sinking
-outer space
-horror films
-the ocean (drowning)
-speaking out loud in any situation where there are more than like 4 people (I have huge problems speaking in class and giving presentations)
-family being sad

message 10: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments The more I think about this, the more fears I come up with. I'm scared of failure and rejection, and I think many times they go hand in hand. I'm also scared of being alone (not physically, in that sense I love being alone) but more like not having anyone to support me or help me when I need them. I also worry a lot about the people I love and I'm scared of losing them. Anyway, I could go on forever so I guess I'll stop here! :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, I don't have a major fear but something that has always scared me is the fear of being alone.. So I always find that I can become quite lonely if I feel like I've been on my own for too long, it's a repetitive nightmare. Just the idea of living alone or having no one scares me!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm scared of being forgotten, which sounds a bit strange I guess. I just...I want to be remembered as a someone to another. I'm also quite terrified of going through life not knowing what I want to do, so I'm just sort of swimming in confusion. Oh and failure gets me as well. Xxxx

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily Watson | 16 comments I don't think I have many major fears that are physical things like sharks etc, although I used to have a fear of dogs (I wouldn't stay on the same side of the road if a dog was there, for example) but I managed to conquer that.
My main fear might sound a bit strange, but the only way I can describe it is the fear of the unknown, not like I'm scared of the future, but I'm scared of things that I don't know. Yet, new experiences don't phase me. I think it's just the fact that there is so much out there to be learnt or seen that should be seen or learnt and you might not get that chance. You will never know it. I don't really know how to explain it, you can't really explain it unless you have actually felt it or experienced it yourself.

message 14: by Darby (new)

Darby | 217 comments 2 come to mind right now:
-(this ones kinda silly) I'm scared of having other people floss for me. I floss every night without fear, but at the dentist I have a freaking panic attack (I actually have several panic disorders) because the ladies try and floss for me.
-(this one isn't silly at all) losing my friends. And not losing them as in "oh her? Nope we're not friends anymore" I'm talking about having them die. This fear is a pretty recent one for 2 reasons. 1: my friends are idiots. Most wont look both ways before crossing the street and I have to haul them out from nearly getting hit, 2: most are crappy drivers, 3: at least one of my friends has a pretty serious drinking problem. And this fear is heightened 100000000000000 times because one of my friends joined the military (USMC) last month. Losing him is especially scary because I just love him so freaking much.

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 46 comments This thread is kind of old, but I have several phobias as well as deep fears. For phobias, I dislike heights (not paralyzingly so, but still), I'm claustrophobic (that one is leaning a bit more towards paralyzing) and the worst one... HOSPITALS. Or more specifically, needles. I. Can't. Handle. Needles. I like to watch House, M.D., and I repeatedly have to choose between either looking away or getting sick. But my deepest fear is probably the thought of losing either my older sister or her husband/my brother-in-law. It used to be the thought of losing my mom, but then she passed away in 2012... But the thought of losing my sister or my brother (in-law) is one of the most horrible things that could happen to me. They've kept me going since my mom passed, and I'm not sure I could live without either of them. But, I'm trying to learn to leave my fears and my future up to God (I'm a Christian), and I know he'll come through for me.

P.S. I also struggle with social anxiety.

message 16: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Kristensen (chickpeasarenice) | 7 comments I'm scared of feeling lonely. Like feeling lonely for a long period of time. I fear that I am way too dependant on whether or not I'm liked by the people that I like.

I hope to overcome this someday, but at the moment that future is looking pretty bleak.

message 17: by Karel (new)

Karel (thisismeonline) My worst fear is choking to death. Just the sheer panic when you choke on something and to think you don't get the relief of getting out your throat. It's the worst.

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Elliott | 19 comments Hey there! I have just set up a project called Letters of strength. I'm having some problems getting the word out there about it and am wondering can the hopefuls help me. Carrie inspired this project and I am hoping that the rest of the hopefuls out there can help me get it started. Letters of strength, is a project where I want to write to people. I'm offering people to write to me if they need a helping hand or encouragement. I have set a facebook page and am asking ye to go onto it and read the description and see what it's all about. If ye would share the page I would be so grateful. The Facebook page is called "Letters of strength". For some reason I can't link it to ye here but please search it and like it for me. I really want this project to work out so I figured the hopefuls would be the best way to get it out there. Thank you so much! :) xox

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2014 07:28AM) (new)

I'm terrified of the future. I'm 16 and I have no idea what I'm doing with my life, and it scares me. A lot. I'm worried that I won't accomplish my dreams. I think that's one of my worst fears. I've got so many goals and things I want to do in my lifetime, but I'm so scared that I won't end up doing any of them :(
Love this discussion by the way! It's nice to be able to share this kind of stuff with somebody, and to see that I'm indeed not alone :)

message 20: by Rose (new)

Rose (miss_rose) I'm scared of not being able to get a job. I've been trying for years, volunteering loads but no one wants to hire someone who doesn't have any real experience.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam | 6 comments Falling, in many ways. Literally, metaphorically, and I think, romantically.

message 22: by Eliska (new)

Eliska (noxice) Ashley wrote: "Okay so I have deleted my post off the phobia discussion and I copied it here:

-I hate picking up the phone unless I know it is my close friend or family and still then I hate it. It is just so te..."

I share the same fear of oceans. There was this picture of a tiny human swimming in a deep water and I had this falling feeling in my stomach because it was so terrifying. And 3 years ago I was in Greece and I was swimming and suddenly directly beneath me were jellyfish... it was terrible. But I guess I'm more scared of the empty space, the vastness than the creatures. :)

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin Finlen Being alone. I once woke up shaking and sweating from a nightmare where I was surrounded by people I love and all my friends then they slowly started disappearing until I was the only person left on the planet. I will never forget that dream and even thinking about it speeds up ny heart rate :S

message 24: by Ailish (new)

Ailish Caleigh: just keep trying!! I'm looking for work to, I'm 16 and have never had a job before, I've just had two interviews (for the same job, it's in two stages) and apparently there quite impressed, just waiting for a call. I was worried about having no previous job before but you've got to start somewhere I guess!!

message 25: by Milan (new)

Milan (thehopelesspizza) | 17 comments Being alone, failure (mainly just for school),spiders (large ones mostly), and death