Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Authors General Chat > research on indie sales and incomes

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments http://beverleykendall.com/files/self...
Previously posted in another thread.
Data on relationships between number of books published, use of loss leaders like free first books or short stories, and author income.

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
I gather I'm missing out by not being contemporary romance...

message 3: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Courtney wrote: "I gather I'm missing out by not being contemporary romance..."

Likewise. Or any kind of romance for that matter.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Gregor - shall we tell ourselves the small market for horror means we shall have less competition finding readers?

#glasshalffull

message 5: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Courtney wrote: "Gregor - shall we tell ourselves the small market for horror means we shall have less competition finding readers?

#glasshalffull"

You can tell yourself that all you want. I'm too busy writing a romance novel now.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

...my characters are in love with one another's carnage?

message 7: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Courtney wrote: "...my characters are in love with one another's carnage?"

That might work.

message 8: by Gregor (last edited Apr 25, 2014 12:23PM) (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) I've already got my romance series all planned out. The first book is called My Billion Dollar Knight. It's some pretty steamy romance, I must say.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Maybe I'll do a paranormal romance on highlander lycanthropes - kilted werewolves

message 10: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Courtney wrote: "Maybe I'll do a paranormal romance on highlander lycanthropes - kilted werewolves"

That'a a good idea, actually. Just make sure they wear utilikilts.

And I discovered that my romance book title is already being used by someone on Wattpad. I'll have to go with something else. I'm thinking The Amish Billionaire's Baby.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

lol wow

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments Eeek. A romance by Gregor? Could you do a horror romance hybrid? :)

message 13: by Courtney (new)

I almost want to troll-author a novel but I'd be a little ashamed and a lot unpopular if it worked out

message 14: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 216 comments Looks like this answers the post from a few days ago about why most indie books are romance!

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 85 comments I have to say, $0.00 to $10,000 is way, WAY too big a range for the low end of the spectrum. It would be nice to see that side split up into several smaller pieces.

message 16: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Rutigliano | 85 comments Also, I will never write romance or erotica. I don't care how friggin' popular it is.

message 17: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Amber wrote: "Eeek. A romance by Gregor? Could you do a horror romance hybrid? :)"

I might have to. But it would have to be heavier on the romance. Maybe one of these will work?

The Lady Coroner Proposes
An October Billionaire
My Cowboy Bites
Two Highlanders at Midnight
The Mortician's Temptation

message 18: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand About 50% of the writers earn what would be a livable wage for me. Okay, so my costs are low, but that makes me a lot more confident. :-D

message 19: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 216 comments Patrick wrote: "I have to say, $0.00 to $10,000 is way, WAY too big a range for the low end of the spectrum. It would be nice to see that side split up into several smaller pieces."

Have to agree. Would like to see that broken down.

message 20: by C.G. (last edited Apr 26, 2014 08:54AM) (new)

C.G. (CG_Garcia) | 88 comments Hate to say it, but I write Fantasy/Paranormal Romance under a different pen name, and I out sell my straight Fantasy novels about 10 to 1. Romance & mystery/thrillers are hot in the ebook market. I have my sister to thank because I started to write fantasy romance at her request.

message 21: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Yeah, I also have to point out the data is all over the place and doesn't seem to mean much. It's a nice idea though, to collect this kind of data.

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
Hmm..Romance wins yet again eh? I see $1-3 every month or so from Amazon or CS, not my dream figures but good to see 'some' sales.

message 23: by Justin (new)

Maybe if I wrote romance those figures would be double. Romance for my next book?.....NAH!

message 24: by Courtney (new)

C.G. you make me want to sell out/buy in and turn my book into a dating show sex romp instead of murder puppet death matches lol

message 25: by Courtney (new)

The Last Damsel will henceforth be known as The Mating Game.

message 26: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Why not do both? lol

message 27: by Courtney (new)

haaaahaa...no

I hope nobody reads these stats and gets discouraged from writing whatever they want. For me the top selling genres are ones I don't adore reading and find myself wanting for good reads in the less prominent ones.

message 28: by Justin (new)

What about Kinky Puppet sex? lol

message 29: by F.W. (new)

F.W. Pinkerton (FWPinkerton) | 28 comments I actually quite like reading some Romance novels, but I don't think I would ever be good at writing one. I prefer the romantic side of things, when I write, to be a small part of the story, rather than THE story.

I also think I am of the mindset, that I just enjoy writing and telling a story, and hope other's like it. But if they don't - then so be it.So don't think I could ever just sit and write in a genre because it was popular.

I only wrote my YA fantasy because I realised all my other books/ work in progress's were pretty gritty, and I felt like a change.And it was meant to be a bit of fun. But after I finish the 2nd book (which some of the reviews from the first one have really demotivated me to even finish) I am not sure I will carry on (suppose it depends how it goes). As it seems people find my pacing boring in that genre - seems people want action action action and not much backstory/worldbuilding or story.I think a lot of people have short attention spans nowadays. Or maybe I just suck at writing it lol. Probably the latter.

For a sort of dare...a friend of mine said I should write a full on erotic novella.About 8k into it. It will definitely be under a pen name like one of my other books, as I would die if anyone I know found out I wrote it. Mainly because the main character has some 'interesting' fetishes :o . I may not even stick it up on kindle. As I would be gutted if it actually sold, when the books I have really worked on the story languish.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

my second ex-wife (wife series to be continued, serious candidates should apply at annoyingHusband.com) loved reading romances. she asked me to read a couple simultaneously. i couldn't get through either.

i wonder if there are any intelligent romances.

i once went to a conference where the keynote was delivered by a romance writer. refreshingly honest, she said she wrote the same story over and over with as few changes to the plot and characters as possible. she provided her formula and encouraged us, her several 100 rapt listeners, to abandon all hope and write drivel. seriously.

she was a multimillionaire back when that was impressive. (i ignored her advice and instead sought a rich wife. after all, i'm not going to abandon my extremely low standards!)

the 3 people here with whom i've some familiarity--amber, courtney and lily--all have the intelligence and clarity to succeed in writing popular romances that can earn you lavish income w/o abandoning your standards. short of murder and robbery, however, i'm supportive of most ways for people to make their first million. after that, if patterson chooses to write pap, it's his choice, as it will be your choice. i don't condemn patterson so much as dismiss him as irrelevant.

equally irrelevant conclusion: going where the money is eliminates some road-blocks. going where your heart leads you, adds road-blocks. and adds supreme satisfaction for those who succeed. either way you get to gloat, which is all that matters.

shameless advertisement: be sure to visit annoyingHusband.com!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Gregor, The Mortician's Temptation hands down.
Gary inhaled the pungent fumes from the formaldehyde as he ran his gloved fingers over her cold, rigid skin. Her veins laced across her thighs just under her pale skin giving the appearance that someone had drawn lines on her with blue magic marker....

There may be something to this Dark Romance thing.... I say we start a movement!

message 32: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Sarah wrote: "Gregor, The Mortician's Temptation hands down.
Gary inhaled the pungent fumes from the formaldehyde as he ran his gloved fingers over her cold, rigid skin. Her veins laced across her thighs just..."

Yes! That excerpt is quite lovely. However, I'd lose the magic marker. Maybe replace it with 'blue graphite.'

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments See this is why I am a supporter of collaborations.

message 34: by Courtney (new)

Lol Justin - FYI I had a nightmare last night I did exactly that and stopped working on my novel to write creepy erotica so...yay, I'm stressed apparently!

message 35: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I'm about halfway through reading the file now. I suspect she might have some faults in her conclusions. :-(

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments Gregor wrote: "Amber wrote: "Eeek. A romance by Gregor? Could you do a horror romance hybrid? :)"

I might have to. But it would have to be heavier on the romance. Maybe one of these will work?

The Lady Coroner..."

We should collaborate. I like the first and last ones best.

message 37: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) Amber wrote: "Gregor wrote: "Amber wrote: "Eeek. A romance by Gregor? Could you do a horror romance hybrid? :)"

T..."

We'd have to include Sarah. It looks like she's already started on The Mortician's Temptation. I have a feeling that she couldn't stop after posting her teaser in post 32. She's likely got the first three chapters cranked out by now. With three writers, we should be able to meet the romance audience's demand.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Oh man Gregor...you caught me! Though I haven't quite written that much. =)

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments Woo-hoo. We can trade chapters. Sarah, one, Gregor, two, Amber three, and so forth.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Roberts | 616 comments Or perhaps a collection of short stories? All in the horror romance genre (and using some if not all of Gregor's fabulous titles) If several of us contribute a story it could be one hell of a project....though maybe a new thread would be better suited for this discussion... (I can sense Lily getting ready to pounce ♡)