Books on the Nightstand discussion

Announcements > Hugo Nominations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 816 comments There does not seem to be a lot of interest in the Hugo Awards but I do want to point out that one book that I have read this year is Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie nominated for Best Novel. I did wonder why The Martian by Andy Weir was not.Maybe not enough sci fi in the book?

message 2: by Eric (last edited Apr 25, 2014 08:48AM) (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I used to read primarily SF/fantasy when I was younger. I'm still up for any good stuff that's out there. Unfortunately, I've found that the Hugos generally reward good ideas/concepts over good writing. Most of the highly lauded SF is highly imaginative, but not very well written. I'm thinking of Heinlein, Asimov, Ben Bova, Connie Willis, etc.

Exceptions: Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Gene Wolfe, Thomas M. Disch...those cats can write!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2780 comments Mod
Interesting question, Gerald. Interesting observation, Eric.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 51 comments Gerald wrote: "Maybe not enough sci fi in the book?
"

I wonder if it had something to do with eligibility, and publishing date? He'd self-published it and had it available on his website, then it was an audiobook in 2013, and then 'actually' published in 2014. Maybe it won't be eligible until next year's ballot.