Great African Reads discussion

Archived | General > Q&A: Jalada – pan-African writers’ collective

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments New pan-African writers’ collective Jalada formed last June and published their first anthology ‘Sketch of a Bald Woman in the Semi-Nude and Other Stories’ in January. Heralded by Binyavanga Wainaina as a new generation of writers producing exciting and original work, Jalada is already achieving significant critical acclaim and success. Members of the collective – Clifton Gachagua, Mehul Gohil, Linda Musita, Kioko Ndinda, Okwiri Oduor and Novuyo Rosa Tshuma - were named as 6 of the 39 most promising fiction writers from Africa under 40 as part of the Africa39 project. Okwiri Oduor has this week been announced as one of the 5 writers shortlisted for the 2014 Caine Prize (alongside Billy Kahora, Managing Editor of Kwani Trust – the institution that hosted the writing workshop Jalada was formed out of and where many Jaladians have their roots). It therefore seemed like a very good time for Africa in Words to ask Jalada some questions about their origins, vision and plans for the future – and to share with you an extract from Clifton Gachagua’s beautiful title story to their first publication.

Here is link to full article:
http://africainwords.com/2014/04/25/q...

message 2: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
OMG i was JUST LOOKING AT THIS! i have it open in my browser to visit and revisit throughout the day. :)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 284 comments This looks great. Thanks for sharing.