Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Can i ask your opinion???

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (rachybee) | 2 comments Hi, i've just joined this club and i'm hoping u guys can halp me.
I've never read any of the books but i'm thinking about it.
The thing that puts me off is i didn't really like the tv show (srry if i anyone does, i don't wanna cause u offence)
Anyway are these books worth reading, how much like the show are they??
Thanks everyone

message 2: by Kenna (last edited Jul 21, 2009 10:45PM) (new)

Kenna (kennas) WELCOME!!! I hope you like it here as much as I do! (Im new here too and everyone has been so nice to me)
The books in some aspects are completely different from the show. In some regards they are the same. I didn’t like the show until I saw the book with Bill and Sookie on the cover at Wal-Mart and bought the first two. I got hooked hardcore on the books and now I like the show. Everyone here has some complaint about the show. It’s not the best, but it keeps getting better as they get some of the kinks worked out. Give it time but MOST DEFFINATLEY read the books!

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I would recommend reading at least the first 2 books before making a final decision but I generally try to do so with most series. First books in a series are mostly introductory stuff so I think you might know overall by the end of the second book. Now, I love the show and the books but like many people, I try to keep them seperate in my head (which is not always succesful) so I can totally see how someone might dislike the show and enjoy the books. But beware, if you do end up liking the books, they are incredibly addictive and the series is no where near to being completed :)

message 4: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca The books are from Sookie's point of view. So her romance with Bill, and her growing relationship with Eric, are fairly close to the books.

Jason's story in "True Blood" is entirely new. Tara is an entirely different character, barely seen in the books. The same applies to Lafayette.

"True Blood" is much more explicit.

Guess it depends what you disliked about "True Blood". The first season was closer to the first book than the second season is being to the second book. I expect they'll continue to diverge.

I like both, but you can't be too much of a book loyalist or the little changes may drive you crazy.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) mlady_rebecca wrote: "The books are from Sookie's point of view. So her romance with Bill, and her growing relationship with Eric, are fairly close to the books.

Jason's story in "True Blood" is entirely new. Tara is ..."

Excellent point. Every momment of the books are spent with Sookie which make for some major changes.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (rachybee) | 2 comments Oh, ok thanks I really wanted to get peoples opinoin, because the library where i live is really bad and understocked :( so i buy ALL the books i read.....

But if these books are as good as you guys say they are then i'll definatly buy them
Thanks again =D

message 7: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) Just read the books they are great. If you have only seen Trueblood. TrueBlood is loosely based on Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackouse books. So if you like TrueBloood your going to like the books. Most people here like both TrueBlood and the books equally well. So just read Dead Until Dark Rebecca. You'll be hooked.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Rachel wrote: "Oh, ok thanks I really wanted to get peoples opinoin, because the library where i live is really bad and understocked :( so i buy ALL the books i read....."

Now that just hurts my heart. Does your library offer a free interlibrary loan service? Most libraries do, and that way, your library could borrow the books in your name from a library that owns them. Usually, I hate buying books in a series if I'm not absolutely certain about them.

If you like Janet Evanovich - especially if you like her sense of humor and the way she develops her quirky characters, then Cary is probably right: read Dead Until Dark and you'll be hooked. :-)

message 9: by Cary (last edited Jul 24, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Cary (vortigern) Yesiree. Read Dead Until Dark and you'll be all drove up to read the next one Living Dead in Dallas. I read From Dead to Worse first and I liked the book so much I ordered them in whatever order I could get them. So next I read Dead As A Doornail. It was just the type adult book with a combination of Vamps an Supes, Mystery, and Romance I was looking for. Amussing and very current. Hurricane Katrina and it's influence on people's lives worked out very well in the later books. Making them seem very current and real. Then I learned how to work the interlibrary loan system and checked out books in order from other branches where they were immediately available. I had them delivered to main desk for pickup. Thats when I started reading them in order. Dead Until Dark, Living Dead In Dallas, Club Dead, and Dead to the World, and finished them off with Dead and Gone. Now I am a true disciple. At this time I am reading classic books, and playing lots of guitar waiting for the next Sookie Stackhoue Book. Plus watching TrueBlood every Sunday. TrueBlood can be rude sometimes. Sam says "Well who's gonna say it". "Say what?" queries Daphnie. "Nice rack", says Sam. "Nice _____s says Daphnie. Rude but funny!