Brentwood Library discussion

Favorite books made into movies

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite books that have been made into good movies?

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments Mod
The movie The Namesake made me want to read the book. They were both excellent and I highly recommend them!

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 28, 2008 02:56AM) (new)

Stephanie (library_assistant_sd) | 7 comments Mod
The first example I can think of is The Shining. I remember watching The Shining on tv, the Saturday Night Movie, when I was in 8th grade. I decided I had to read the book. For the next few years I devoured almost everything Stephen King wrote.

In more recent years, I read Practical Magic and Memoirs of a Geisha after I saw the movies. I wanted to read Memoirs long before the movie came out but just didn't get around to it until after it was out on dvd. As anyone who knows me knows, my to be read list is exhaustively long.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (janeta) | 15 comments Mod
In order to not create any confusion about Message 2 by Megan and Message 3 by Stephane, allow me to say that I had originally posted this comment after Message 1 of Megan's.

I said: Or - alternate question - since I'm struggling to answer Megan's. What are some of your favorite movies that prompted you to then read the book? (Sorry Megan! I was having probs answering. Anyone can answer either or but maybe should clarify their answer.)

So that's why they gave the answers they did! Get it? Good!

message 5: by Janet (new)

Here's a list of some of the books that I read AFTER I saw the movie: P.S. I Love You, Phantom of the Opera and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

Books that I own because I love the movie (but haven't read yet. Hey, I own them, I've got time...): Timeline, Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Pride & Prejudice (not that crappy 2005 movie version though!), North & South (not that crappy Patrick Swayze Civil War one though!)

Oh, the list shall go on...another day.

message 6: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 2 comments The book I read because I liked the movie is The Princess Bride. I watched the movie first because I didn't know about the book until about a month ago. Both were excellent.

message 7: by Coral (new)

Coral | 7 comments I saw Bladerunner and didn't really get it. I wasn't sure why people insisted it was all that great. Then, years later, I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I liked that and decided to give Bladerunner another try. I liked it--give or take some overdone eightiesness--the second time. :)

Also, loved Bridget Jones ("He's no Colin Firth!"), loved Princess Bride, both book and movie versions. They were all great.

It's not quite answering the question (still!), but I read Pride and Prejudice because I liked Bridget Jones so much. Then, because I liked P&P so much, I watched that really long miniseries, which I also loved.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

I can add the Bladerunner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? to my list as well. Because I liked the movie, I decided to read the book. After all, the book is always better.

message 9: by Janet (new)

The book is always better! BUT...what if you haven't read a book yet and you find out it's becoming a movie. Do you hurry up and read the book first before seeing it? Will it ruin the movie? Or do you see the movie and then read the book after? It's really quite a dilemna for me.

btw, Coral, I'm a bit confused (hey, it ain't hard to do) about your comment "He's no Colin Firth!" Do you like Colin then? If so, you're my new favorite person! lol

message 10: by Coral (new)

Coral | 7 comments Sometimes I hurry up and read the book, but more often I just stall and don't watch the movie right away. I still haven't seen The Golden Compass, because I'd kind of like to read the books first.

If I watch the movie, I don't usually get around to reading the book. Princess Bride was an obvious exception, as was Fight Club. But it really changes the experience of the book for me, a lot, to see the movie first. I don't get to come up with my own mental images.

The Colin Firth thing was because Colin Firth played the character that Bridget Jones was saying "is no Colin Firth," as I recall. It amused me endlessly. :) I reallyreally liked him in Pride & Prejudice.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments I have a really bad habit of reading the book before I see the movie and point out things that they left out or things they made up. I know when I seen phantom of the opera(which I realize is both a book and play) for the first time I compared it to both the book and the stage play, and as I hope you all know I am a Phantom FREAK! It took me a while to get used to the movie asspect of it but I over came it. But yes I love to point out everything wrong and everyone should feel bad for my boyfriend because i do that 90% of the time with him and he can give two craps less.. HAHAHAHA

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments Mod
If I haven't already read the book, I wait to read it until after I watch the movie. I figure that if I watch the movie first, I can enjoy both. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a book after watching the movie, but I'm quite often disappointed by movies if I've already read the book. Some exceptions - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I loved the movie! Bridget Jones's Diary - I loved it, too. (I'm sure there are more exceptions, I just can't think of any at the moment.)

message 13: by Janet (new)

Funny you should mention Bridget Jones's Diary, Megan. I was just coming here to comment about it! I just got done reading it (finally) and didn't like it as much as the movie. In fact I only gave it two stars ("it was ok"). The movie is so, so very wonderful (in my opinion) and a whole lot different than the book. I thought that in some instances the book's plot was not very believable. I am very thankful for the movie adaptation version. Oh, and Colin Firth (Mark Darcy)!

Also, I do the same thing as Megan said. If I've not read the book yet and the movie is about to come out, I'll wait.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

I loved both the book and the movie for The Hitchhiker's Guide too! It's been a really long time since I've read the book though.

message 15: by Janet (new)

Wow! A movie and its cast can really do wonders for a book that you didn't like so much when you first read it. At least that's the case for me (I'm so shallow and material). I don't think that I absolutely LOVED "The Kite Runner" when I read it. I didn't hate it. I liked it just fine but I don't remember being blown away by it. Since it was our "One Book, One Community" read at the time, I did highly recommend it to customers who asked.

Now that I've seen the movie, I think I have a better appreciation for the book. If my memory serves me correctly, the movie was exactly like the book. Not much was changed, if anything.

The little boy who played Hassan just about brought tears to my eyes. In the beginning he is so darn cute and faithful. It makes you want to hate Amir. But Amir has his endearing qualities too and somehow instead of hating him, you just feel sorry for him.

Towards the end when you realize how much Amir has lost you can't help thinking back to the cute little Hassan and be moved. I swear to God if I had working tear ducts, this movie would have made me cry!

In short: Excellent adaptation from book to movie. I give it two thumbs up! ;-)

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cahanbury) | 5 comments Have to disagree with Janet on Bridget Jones but I think I read it before I saw it. In fact, I know I did. And I liked the book better. It just cracked me up, with its obsessive talk of Colin Firth and Hugh Grant so by the time the movie was made, it was extra funny to those who had read the book first.

In general, I find that I do not like movies based on books when I read the book first. Because they are NEVER right. Very few where I've seen the movie, then read the book: Mansfield Park is all that comes to mind. I try very hard to avoid the movie version until I have read the book.
I hate seeing the Hollywood version of a character in my head because I can always make up something better myself, thank you very much.

Oh yes, the North and South with Patrick Swayze is not a horrible movie, it just doesn't have Richard Armitage in it. That does not make it horrible. WEll, it might to you, Janet.

message 17: by Janet (last edited Jun 25, 2008 04:38PM) (new)

Hey Miss Carrie! You see my name as a moderator of this group; right? Well, don't make me revoke your membership! Disagreeing with me! The nerve! LOL! j/k.

A bit of rebuttal. I really wish I had read BJD (that's what us true fans call it) before I saw the movie because I'm sure you're right and the whole CF and HG thing would have been extra funny. I'm sure I would have had different feelings then.

We usually agree about 94% so it's weird how we view both of the Darcys differently. For me, Mark Darcy is the love of my life. Mr. Darcy is not. I'll take him, but I'd choose Mark first.

I suppose I was a bit too harsh calling the Patrick Swayze version of N&S crappy. I'm so sorry! I really shouldn't have put baby in the corner.

And truth be told, I was quite in love with that version back in the day. Didn't dare miss a night of viewing. BUT, I am so totally in love with Richard Armitage and his character of Thornton in Elizabeth Gaskell's story. By the way, I should mention, so as not to confuse others, the two are totally different stories. Ms. Gaskell having written hers well before the Civil War even started.

Here's another secret: I love Thornton way better than Mr. Darcy. There, I've said it.

But do I love him better than Mark or Morelli? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... :-0

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cahanbury) | 5 comments Since I just saw this, yes I am slow, I just should probably clarify that I, too, would prefer Mark over Mr. Why? Because Mark loves wobbly bits, and I have plenty. Do not think Mr. would tolerate them, even if I were walking around to make my figure appear in a flattering light.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara well i think mine is ALICE IN WONDERLAND although i didn't like the movie at all!

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments Harry Potter anything... no question!