GodReads discussion

Judaism

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Tim | 1 comments Does anyone have any recommendations on books about Judaism generally, and Judaism as it relates to Christianity?

I feel like I don't really know enough about Jewish culture and tradition.

Oh, and no need to recommend the Old Testament (preemptive smarty pants strike).

message 2: by Kester (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Kester | 3 comments Mod
The Prophets by Abraham Heschel.

The Gift of the Jews by Thomas Cahill.

Desire of the Everlasting Hills by Thomas Cahill.

message 3: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 2 comments A History of the Jews by Paul Johnson (one I've always been meaning to read).

message 4: by Jeremy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Jeremy | 2 comments Jewish Backgrounds of the New Testament
by J. Julius Scott, Jr.

This is great for realizing that the perspective that the 1st century Christians had was an Old Testament one. For some reason, I think we tend to assume they were seeing Jesus through the same eyes we do, just because they appear after Malachi.

message 5: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) On Judaism generally, I have no higher recommendation than This is My God by Herman Wouk. It is a superb introduction to Judaism written for non-Jews (as well as for Jews). He communicates in a fashion similar to C.S. Lewis. I would say this is the Jewish version of Mere Christianity. I highly recommend it.

I enjoyed Paul Johnson's History of the Jews as well.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Gospel According to Moses: what my Jewish friends taught me about Jesus by Athol Dickson

message 7: by Gillian (new)

Gillian The Gift of the Jews is awesome! Thomas Cahill is the best history writer working today.

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cmkeel) | 3 comments A really good book about Jewish/Christian relations is The Myth of the Judeo-Christian Tradition by Aurthur A. Cohen.